Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Legacy L Sedan, 2009 Impreza Sedan, 2013 Crosstrek, 2016 WRX
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone out there make a polyurethane bushing for the rear lower control arm (or lateral link as subaru's part site call it)? Preferably something that doesn't have a sleeve requiring a press to put in?

Here is a pic of the arms I'm talking about with the old bushing pressed out.

I checked Energy, Whiteline, and SuperPro but didn't come up with much other than one that required a sleeve to be pressed in.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,439 Posts
@traildogck may know

but people use dumb-bells when they don't have a press. (like a mallet that they can pound with straight down.)

or they take the things to a garage with a press.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback Base. 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i. 2013 Harely-Davidson FLHTK.
717 Posts
@traildogck may know

but people use dumb-bells when they don't have a press. (like a mallet that they can pound with straight down.)

or they take the things to a garage with a press.
Also if you put the bushing in the freezer for a few hours before installation it will contract just a bit and make it easier to press it in.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,439 Posts
Also if you put the bushing in the freezer for a few hours before installation it will contract just a bit and make it easier to press it in.
bare steel item can go in a warm oven too. (making one larger, and one colder then regular ambient temps)

·
Registered
717 Posts
bare steel item can go in a warm oven too. (making one larger, and one colder then regular ambient temps)
That's very true. And if one cleans and paints them prior to putting them into the oven it will also bake the paint on. That is a close second to powder coating.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,439 Posts
That's very true. And if one cleans and paints them prior to putting them into the oven it will also bake the paint on. That is a close second to powder coating.
I would think thats something many garage people do while their significant other is out doing something else.

only to come home to complain, why the kitchen smells like a chemical factory, ...and the stove is "ruined"

·
Registered
717 Posts
I would think thats something many garage people do while their significant other is out doing something else.

only to come home to complain, why the kitchen smells like a chemical factory, ...and the stove is "ruined"
Or an extra oven. Just run the self-cleaning oven afterwards and that will certainly cover up that other smell!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,439 Posts
Or an extra oven. Just run the self-cleaning oven afterwards and that will certainly cover up that other smell!
I guess one in some states/ nations could also legally just pull out the water bong. (and get baked)

·
Registered
2001 Legacy L Sedan, 2009 Impreza Sedan, 2013 Crosstrek, 2016 WRX
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all, It's not that I am opposed to having a shop do it, it's that new arms with bushings can be bought on rockauto for $35. The cost of a new bushing alone + the shop fee is probably about the same. I was hoping for a $40 - $50 pack of polyurethane inserts for both arms but came up dry when searching. I'll probably just order the arms today. Thanks again for those that chimed in!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts