Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Outback LL.Bean H6 3.0 (aka: RubySue)
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went on a 300 mile drive yesterday...
I noticed, as I was stuck in traffic outside of Richmond, VA that there was a subtle 'pop' sound under the floorboard when I depressed the brake petal.
you can actually feel it through the floor board a little..
It seemed to happen more in traffic/ slower driving ... especially when you would come to a full stop.

any takers?

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
705 Posts
TheFreemans,

A 9 year old, with the same brake fluid in it from new, would tend to make me believe that you have a possible sticky piston in a caliper.

You're not in the salt belt as we are up here in my part of Canada, where its very common for older brake fluid to have absorbed enough water to start corrosion inside the brake lines and calipers. But its possible. I've dealt with sticking calipers many times, and as long as they haven't had too much corrosion, they can be fixed easily.

A sticking caliper won't allow the piston to move until enough pressure has been applied, till it suddenly is freed up and pops against the brake pads. Either that or the brakes continually squeal until you apply pressure, because the piston can't retract away from the pads after you release the brake pedal..

Usually I swing the caliper away from the rotor and apply brake pressure until the piston pops out. If the interior of the caliper and the piston can be cleaned up with brake fluid and 0000 steel wool, and no visible pits are discovered, the caliper can be saved. If there are deep pits, replace it as it will never stop leaking if used again.

After cleaning and inspection, flush the caliper with fresh brake fluid, lube the piston and seals with brake fluid and push the piston back in, ensuring that the interior seal and the dust seal are properly seated. Then rebleed the wheel. If you find one caliper this way, its a good bet the others aren't far behind and need attention as well..

You may also find that you have a slide pin that is corroded and is momentarily hanging up the piston travel before it releases.

Either is possible, and are saying that the brakes need attention ... soon, before the bigger bills arrive. Good Luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts