Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i with 2 inch lift and 235/75/15 Falken Wildpeaks AT3W
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Sometimes when I accelerate from 0-20 and let off the accelerator my 2006 outback 2.5i automatic will make a series of 3 popping and clunking noises coming from the middle and rear end of the car. The noise is loud enough to where I am able to hear it clearly in the cabin and also feel it. I checked the rear axles and they seem fine. My only guess would be either the driveshaft or the diff. its also worth mentioning that the front passenger side has a reman axle on it and there is slight vibration during low speed (0-20) acceleration. the axle is a cardone axle. Any one else have this issue?

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,582 Posts
check rear bushings in the front lower control arm.

check rear diff mount bushings too.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd Obsidian Black 5MT
1,080 Posts
Make sure the heat shield that is above the catalytic converter, but below the driveshaft, isn't hitting the driveshaft. I had a sound that would only occur during takeoff and I traced it back to the heat shield hitting the driveshaft.

I had apparently hit a snow bank and bent it just enough to where it hit only when the car accelerated. I pulled the heat shield out, no more sound.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd Obsidian Black 5MT
1,080 Posts
But, yes, also check the bushings. Popping is more likely the bushings. The clunk and kind of grind was the heat shield.

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,263 Posts
Check your transmission mount and the rear differntial bushings. They are both a hollow design that can start to fail or tear away from the metal they are bonded to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts