Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2008 Outback, manual transmission w/ ~ 120K miles.

Took it to my normal shop a couple of months ago for some work, (odd clunk when turning) ended up w/ a new axle (was throwing grease) and tuneup. Also had the clutch replaced back in the spring.

As I drove it home from the shop after the new axle, I started hearing a clicking noise as I accelerated through right hand turns. It's gotten much more pronounced, and now happens when I accelerate through left turns and occasionally straight ahead. No noise when I'm coasting, ONLY when my foot is on the gas. My shop is pretty good, but I just don't think he's trying very hard on this issue. Both axles now new, same sound.

I took a video to record the sound, it's here on YouTube:

Some times to listen for: 0:15, 0:28, 1:05, 1:18, 1:36, 1:55, 2:08, 2:50.

ANY help identifying this greatly appreciated!!

-DJ

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Buy used Subaru OEM axles. They're cheap like $15 - $35 all day long:
Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

Have the mechanic reboot them (i prefer Subaru boots) and install them. It'll cost a lot but that's the only long term 100,000 mile reliable solution, and the price to be paid for the poor decision to throw away the originals that would have lasted another 100,000 miles.

Alternately - you can buy one axle - and only replace the problematic one, but personally I don't want any aftermarket axles in my vehicles, they're by far the most problematic aftermarket part you can buy. Completely waste of time and money as you're about to find out.

It's the axles - never install aftermarket axles in a Subaru. I've seen multiple new axles fly off into pieces within a week, or a day,
of installation. (i've posted pictures before of the carnage). And countless other noises, vibrations, and clicking.

If you had cleaned and rebooted the original OEM axle it would have lasted the life of the vehicle (even if it made some noises), aftermarket axles will not. IMO it was a stupid repair - throwing away axles that would have lasted the life of the vehicle and gambling on aftermarkets.

·
Registered
2014 OBW Premium (Ice Silver Metalic)
309 Posts
I have successfully rebooted an OEM axle. Granted, it's messy, but it cost me only the price of the boot kit. Lasted the life of the car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's definitely the aftermarket axle. I have the same thing in my car right now. I had to replace my right axle. I ordered a Subaru axle, and bought one from Auto Zone to tide me over until the OEM got here. Well, the second day I installed the aftermarket, the exact thing you're describing started up. It's been a month or so, and I have the Subaru axle to install. I just haven't had the time yet. It only happens if I'm accelerating to the right, or in a negative G situation, like going over a gradual high spot in the road where the suspension flexes upward. One of these days I'll get around to swapping that out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all who replied! Two new axles in, problem 100% resolved. Surprisingly, my mechanic hadn't experienced this before (a LOT of Subarus in OR). We split the cost on the two axles & free labor; just glad to have a smooth quiet ride again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts