Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium and 2010 2.5i 6-spd
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my fourth Gen 4 OB, a 2010 2.5i w/6MT, and knew it had issues problems for resolution. Needs a clutch (yeah, @97k miles), needed a timing belt kit (done - Aisin TKF-006 installed), and I also knew that there was an issue with the steering wheel and front wheels popping heavily when steering on sharp turns which I figured was due to bad outer CV joints on the front axles. No biggie, checked out Subaru for OEM axles...nah, gold plate without warranty at a pretty ridiculous price (I was doing both at the same time), so I purchased NAPA axles with a limited lifetime warranty. Got under the car to install 'em and...I found that very new Cardonne CV axles were already installed - good boots, no grease ejection, seemed fine. It appeared that the previous owner had replaced the OEM axles just prior to selling the car. Installed the NAPA units and the popping on sharp turns was still there after driving it for several miles. During my troubleshooting I noticed that there was no popping on sharp turns at all when first starting and driving the car after sitting all night - everything smooth as silk. After driving 5 or so miles, the popping on sharp turns returned - seemed to indicate something happened after the moving parts heated up. I'm now thinking that one or both front wheel bearings are shot - the grease heats up in the rollers and allows excessive side clearance and roller skip/stall during the heavier side load on the bearing during a sharp turn. This'll be my next project but I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I’ll second the Sway Bar end Links, if it happens going at an angle going in and out of driveways that’s a good sign of end link failure. If you’re running upgraded sway bars and/or drive aggressively you’ll blow out stock end links easily.

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
2,716 Posts
I suspect you may have “torque bind”

Do a forum search to find out more and if this may be the symptoms you are having.

Seagrass

Reactions: TheGreyHearse

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium and 2010 2.5i 6-spd
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suspect you may have “torque bind”

Do a forum search to find out more and if this may be the symptoms you are having.

Seagrass
Thanks, my friend. This was my first thought after replacing the CV axles - the symptoms that I was experiencing with sharp turn popping sent me that direction because of a CV axle outer joint failure on a VW that I owned many years ago (I cheated on that one...even though everything was heat-blued, I just packed it with grease, put a new boot on, and drove it another 100k miles. LOL!). Once I'd replaced the axles and had the same popping issue when warmed up this time I suspected the center differential but talked myself out of it ($$$'s and a PITA). I'd heard of wheel bearings causing issues during sharp turns due to side loading of failing bearings (and I've experienced it with other makes of vehicle) and looked that direction - when I had the axles out I noticed that the hubs seemed to be a little stiff when rotated. But the absence of an issue when the car is cold and the appearance of an issue after driving and warming the drivetrain up makes me look the direction you steered me - torque bind from a failed/failing viscous center diff. I'll do the test for this as spelled out in an article in the forum search you suggested and verify yea or nay on this. Again, thanks. I'll probably be on my back again pulling that transfer case extension (a few dollars lighter).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts