Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I have a 2006 Outback Wagon 3.0L 6cyl with about 135K miles. A few months ago I noticed a popping noise - like the sound of metal bending and popping back in to place (or maybe popping out of place). It is like a really short creaking noise. It usually just lasts a second or two. It will happen when I am moving slow, 20mph or less. I thought that it was just because the car was getting old, but it is happening more and more often. It can happen turning or going straight, but maybe more often when turning. It also will happen when starting or stopping too without the wheel being turned. It is like all it takes is the car to suddenly move or the weight to shift and it happens. So far I have not found a way to make the noise happen when I want it to. I'm not sure what area of the car it is coming from, it sounds like it is not too far from the driver's seat. Sometimes I think it is just in front of me and sometimes it sounds underneath or behind me. (Maybe there is more than one thing making a similar noise?) I asked the dealer to look for the cause at the last oil change, and they "checked under suspension adjust & retorque suspension mounts, adj shields & trans mount". But it didn't help.

Is there a common problem in Outbacks of this mileage that would cause this sort of noise? I've always had the maintenance done per schedule at the dealer the car is in good shape otherwise. Hoping it's not dangerous!

·
Registered
19,398 Posts
Intermittent sounds from a car are hard to diagnose, all the more so at a distance, e.g., on a forum, when the location of the noise and when it happens aren't clear.

There are numerous possibilities, but I think it might be best if you could continue to monitor the noise closely and document when it happens, where it seems to be coming from, what the outside conditions are, was the engine warmed up or not, etc. Over time, a pattern might start to appear. That's because, as you might note by reading through the posts here, when something starts to fail, the symptoms will often repeat themselves under certain conditions rather than totally randomly. (This thread might be of interest: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...e/17849-basic-noise-diagnostic-questions.html)

The dealer was faced with the same challenge -- unless a technician hears the noise, or recognizes it from the description, there's not much to go on and far too many possibilities to make searching within a reasonable time, and cost, worthwhile. (I would add that the heat shields underneath the car are a common source of metallic sounds from underneath, especially as the cars age and one or more shield mounts breaks, but it looks as if the dealer checked these.)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when something starts to fail, the symptoms will often repeat themselves under certain conditions rather than totally randomly. (This thread might be of interest: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...e/17849-basic-noise-diagnostic-questions.html)
Thanks Plain OM. I will continue to try to figure out a pattern and maybe I'll use the basic noise diagnostic as a checklist when I take it for repair.

So far I can say:
When: When turning, On throttle, When braking, Over bumps.

Where: tough to say, but NOT the brakes, sometimes from front wheel area, sometimes from suspension.

Variation: NOT with engine or transmission rpm, NOT wheel or air speed dependent.

Vibration: I think I can also feel noise a little: through the floor pan or seat, NOT pedal or steering wheel

Drivability: does not affect drivability

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,665 Posts
maybe check the driveshaft u-joint, the anti-sway bar and it's mounts/links and the half-axles.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PROBLEM SOLVED.

The next time my Outback needed to go in for an oil change I told the repair department that the noise was still there. They looked at it again (more thoroughly maybe?) and they found that the back stabilizer connections were loose and the front stabilizer connections were worn - the connections I guess are the links/bushings.

Replaced:
Both front stabilizer links and bushings
Both rear stabilizer links

Thanks for everyone's help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts