Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks-

I want to use the storage just in front of the gear shifter in my 2013 Outback CVT for my Garmin GPS. I remember seeing a post here where someone had a nice photo of this in the forum with a small adapter for the power.
I'm not able to find it now. Could someone please help?
I don't want to mount it on the dash as I hate the power cable running up the dash.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
961 Posts
Why go thru all that trouble? I mount my iPhone on a holder right on top of the dash (in front of the little readout). That place is perfectly flat. Buy those small disc (with 3M tape in back). See: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/AP013-Adapter-Circular-Adhesive-Console/dp/B001IB2120/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344894332&sr=8-1&keywords=GPS+disc[/ame]

Put it there. With the small disc in place, you have a place for the suction cup of the windshield mount of your Garmin to mount.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Why go thru all that trouble? I mount my iPhone on a holder right on top of the dash (in front of the little readout). That place is perfectly flat. Buy those small disc (with 3M tape in back). See: Amazon.com: ARKON AP013 Adapter Plate 80mm Circular Adhesive Dash / Console Disc with 3M Adhesive: GPS & Navigation

Put it there. With the small disc in place, you have a place for the suction cup of the windshield mount of your Garmin to mount.
That's what I did. Most GPS come with that disk for free since CA got all crazy with not allowing them on the windshield.

·
Premium Member
2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
961 Posts
Why go thru all that trouble? I mount my iPhone on a holder right on top of the dash (in front of the little readout). That place is perfectly flat. Buy those small disc (with 3M tape in back). See: Amazon.com: ARKON AP013 Adapter Plate 80mm Circular Adhesive Dash / Console Disc with 3M Adhesive: GPS & Navigation

And for those with iPhones, this is what i got as the holder:

The holder + disc (above) have worked flawlessly with my iPhone 4S with Otterbox Defender. I ordered a long USB cord to connect my iPhone to USB in the center console.

Love the setup to bits!! :29: It almost seem like Subaru read my mind on the perfect place to mount a portable navigation system!! No other vehicle has such a perfect place!!!

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
I mount my GPS or iPhone next to my A pillar. It's still within my peripheral vision without blocking my outward view. I have an power extension for my GPS. I use my iPhone around town so I don't really need power for it. Subaru should have a perfectly flat surface for mounting suction cups besides the windshield.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
They do...right on top of the dash in front of the small display! :29:
I'd rather not stick something to my dash. The area is level but it's still textured like the rest of the dash.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
I'd rather not stick something to my dash. The area is level but it's still textured like the rest of the dash.
I hate having sticky residue on my dash so I used some of that 3m tape they use to hang pictures on walls. 3m Picture hangers

They are cheaper at places like hardware stores though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am thinking of getting a cubbymount for my '09 to go with the $80 GPS I just picked up. The person making these also has them for the '10+ models too. Thread here.
I picked up that same GPS off of slickdeals.net about a month ago, you'll be happy with it.

As far as the shifter storage mount? I'm lukewarm on it. It really is WAY to low to be useful. It's out of your visual range so it's a bit of a PITA.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
571 Posts
I have a Nuvi and we have it in front of the shift lever. The bulky power cord makes it difficcult to keep it in there and under basic braking it falls out. I just thought of something... what about taking a twist tie and organizing the wire and then put velcro on the bounded cord and then on back of your Nuvi. By doing that it should stay put. Kinda Rigged but should be a nice and clean + cheap fix

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just WISH they had a compartment in the dash at the top that can be opened on demand to place the GPS, and inside they had the power outlet too.
I hate a floating cable in my dash ...

·
Registered
2012 Outback Premium Ruby Red Pearl 2.5 CVT AWP
401 Posts
I am thinking of getting a cubbymount for my '09 to go with the $80 GPS I just picked up. The person making these also has them for the '10+ models too. Thread here.
I use a CubbyMount as well. Had some problems with the mount being able to hold my TomTom 700 (which is a fairly small unit) - every few minutes the velcro on the mounting plate would separate from the velcro on the cubby and the GPS unit and mount would fall off. I emailed the maker about the problem and of course he said that was the first complaint he had, but that he had some ideas and would work something up and send me another one - which I never received.
I remedied the problem by glueing a small piece of angled acrylic to the bottom of the mounting plate. The acrylic piece rests on the bottom lip of the cubby and distributes the weight of the GPS unit. Problem solved. :29:

A word to the CubbyMount guy (can't remember his name) - don't make promises that you either cannot or do not intend to keep. That is bad business. :28:

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Exactly!!
Which charger do you use? The charger that came with my GPS is big enough that I cannot use it in this storage slot.

Thanks.
I used the 3790LMT model, which included the charger that has the traffic info. There is plenty of room in the pocket. I removed the rubber mat inside the cubby (it pulls out gently, held in by rubber tabs) and this leaves a hole in the bottom where you can thread the excess power cord (to keep it out of sight). You don't see the hole or hidden cord when the GPS is in place. The Garmin unit I have snaps into a base with charging contacts and I prefer this, so I can remove the unit easily when in high risk areas, but leaving the base in place. It works great for me.

I also purchased the "Eco Route" Bluetooth accessory, which plugs into the OBD-II port and connects to the Garmin via Bluetooth. It has a feature that provides extra gauges, such as engine temp, etc. and it looks great because the Garmin gauges are black and silver, similar to the dash.

Good luck with your install!

Hoppy

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I used the 3790LMT model, which included the charger that has the traffic info. There is plenty of room in the pocket. I removed the rubber mat inside the cubby (it pulls out gently, held in by rubber tabs) and this leaves a hole in the bottom where you can thread the excess power cord (to keep it out of sight). You don't see the hole or hidden cord when the GPS is in place. The Garmin unit I have snaps into a base with charging contacts and I prefer this, so I can remove the unit easily when in high risk areas, but leaving the base in place. It works great for me.

I also purchased the "Eco Route" Bluetooth accessory, which plugs into the OBD-II port and connects to the Garmin via Bluetooth. It has a feature that provides extra gauges, such as engine temp, etc. and it looks great because the Garmin gauges are black and silver, similar to the dash.

Good luck with your install!

Hoppy
This is interesting. Can you post some photos, please!?
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts