Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Outback Premium 2.5
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

We recently picked up a '21 Outback Premium. One of its duties will be to ferry ourselves and our two kayaks on vacations, and I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with the standard roof rack. I could either use our current J-cradles on the factory crossbars; or use a Yakima mount with the factory cross bar mounting points, and use our J-cradles or something else.

I noticed in a review of the new Wilderness that they updated its roof rails, and they look much more useful - one could use a 'normal' set of crossbars that clamp around them, increasing the spread distance and it'll likely be a couple inches shorter, too.

What do you all think about the possibility that these rails would be an easy swap into a standard Outback? I'm sure it'd be >$600 for them, but combine that with a cheaper cross bar system and a more useful setup and it might be worth it.

I'm gonna be pissed if all of the '22s include these.

·
Registered
2022 Wilderness Outback Autum Green
112 Posts
Hi everyone,

We recently picked up a '21 Outback Premium. One of its duties will be to ferry ourselves and our two kayaks on vacations, and I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with the standard roof rack. I could either use our current J-cradles on the factory crossbars; or use a Yakima mount with the factory cross bar mounting points, and use our J-cradles or something else.

I noticed in a review of the new Wilderness that they updated its roof rails, and they look much more useful - one could use a 'normal' set of crossbars that clamp around them, increasing the spread distance and it'll likely be a couple inches shorter, too.

What do you all think about the possibility that these rails would be an easy swap into a standard Outback? I'm sure it'd be >$600 for them, but combine that with a cheaper cross bar system and a more useful setup and it might be worth it.

I'm gonna be pissed if all of the '22s include these.
The way Subaru installs the racks you are going to have to remove part of the head liner to get to the fasteners.

I was going to put a Prinsu platform on but when I found out I would have to remove part of the headliner I decided not to.

·
Registered
10,054 Posts
As @lurchskii says, it’s a bit involved to drop the headliner to do it… but there are threads around here, and videos online with gen 4 and 5 cars, same process, and about as involved.

They retail for $364.30 a side, my local dealer lists them at $273 a side (it comes with all the seals and fasteners).

Right side 91151AN04A
Left side 91151AN05A

·
Registered
2021 Outback Premium 2.5
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Me too. I cannot stand the copper accents and chose Onyx on purpose.
If all MY22s had them, I'm sure the orange would be a trim-level item, not a universal thing. Just like the orange accents in the Forester Sport, inside and out, which I find heinous. But I think these rails are Wilderness-only.

They look anodized, so they could be removed/stripped/re-anodized, or simply spray-painted.

BTW, I found a site listing these at $250/ea and shipping's not bad. I need to talk this over with my wife, but I'd like to give it a shot.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Premium
64 Posts
Only for Wilderness. People have been saying they want roof tents and these have higher weight limits. It makes sense, but for me, occasionally use, I love the swing-away ones for sure.

·
Premium Member
2021 Subaru Outback Onyx XT - Pearl White
32 Posts
So the wilderness roof rack isn't compatible with other gen 6 trims?

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,722 Posts
So the wilderness roof rack isn't compatible with other gen 6 trims?
I highly doubt that it isn't. It's a LOT easier to design rails to match the existing mounting locations in the roof than it is to re-design the roof and have a completely different stamping for the parts involved to mount a rail with different mount locations.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts