Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I just bought a 99 OBW and it was really sluggish coming off of a stop sign or anytime you slowed down and really didn't come to a stop. My tranny was shifting but not smoothly. I was expecting to do a tuneup and check the sensors, etc.

Today while doing routine maintenance I noticed that the cable had slipped off of the half round guide or keeper at the throttle body. Right where the throttle cable comes out there are two half-round pieces that the cables rotate on. One for the throttle and one for the tranny.

I slid the cable back underneath the keeper tab and onto the roller guide. It runs like a new one now.

I really thought it was a problem in the motors performance because it would respond really badly and miss and just lug. I realize now that it wasn't shifting down and I was just overloading the motor. So if you're having performance problems, I'd check it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This sounds promising. Can I ask you a favor; would you post a pic of the half-round guide pieces? I don't see one on either of the cables on my throttle body, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

EDIT: Oh right. Those two things. Gotcha. Thanks for the tip though!

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
my 03 had a recall to install a clip to prevent that I think. I wonder if some older models might benefit from a little modification in that area?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I adjusted the 2 jam nuts in the threaded sleeve to tighten up the slack in my cable. Talk about throttle response upgrade! But mine was slightly sloppy that when you'd push the gas pedal gently you'd feel a tiny bit of free play at the top and then the throttle would open. Now it's ALLL go power. Haha

Maybe that's why your cable jumped track? Sloppy and then hard accel?

+1 on second cable for cruise control. Our trans are completely electronic including kick down function. My guess is your sluggishness came from the throttle only being opened 25-50% which would also account for low line pressure in the tranny causing erratic and awkward shifts.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I adjusted the 2 jam nuts in the threaded sleeve to tighten up the slack in my cable. Talk about throttle response upgrade!
Adjusted mine too (they were both really loose) and had a similar response. I can't believe none of the mechanics I went to after the EJ22 swap was done ever thought to look at this when I mentioned that the car was slow and unresponsive. This just serves to reinforce my feeling that I should do as much mechanical work as I can myself rather than taking my cars to somebody else. Big thanks to the OP, this has to be the best bang-for-the-buck (ie, none) upgrade I ever did on my car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
kreggor
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing