Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. i drive a 1999 subaru legacy outback with 110K miles. A Week ago i had my axles replaced by a mechanic. And this week i realized When turning my steering wheel left and right, i am having noticeable steering fluid leak, and there is also a strained sound when turning. Is it possible that poorly done axle change and the process of removing whatever parts have to be removed or touched to change axles could cause a leak in power steering rack or pipes or reservoirs + make noise?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
But if they are not oem axles you’ll be doing them again very soon. Why did you replace the axles at 110,000?

Torn cv boots? Some shops love getting high core prices for the oem and replacing with cheap junk vs doing the reboot labor. The looser is the car owner having axle problems shortly after.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But if they are not oem axles you’ll be doing them again very soon. Why did you replace the axles at 110,000?

Torn cv boots? Some shops love getting high core prices for the oem and replacing with cheap junk vs doing the reboot labor. The looser is the car owner having axle problems shortly after.
i think it was boot issue because something was torn and grease was coming out. also i bought the part from PepBoys and it has lifetime warranty. only went to mechanic for labor.

·
Registered
257 Posts
But if they are not oem axles you’ll be doing them again very soon. Why did you replace the axles at 110,000.

Pleaaaase...

I replace them with quality new aftermarket axles all of the time. I'm not sure why you think Subaru builds some kind of a magical axle that no one in the aftermarket can reproduce.

As far as a market for cores, There is none. I have a set of genuine axles that will shake your teeth out on my shop floor right now. Please tell me where this magical place is that they will pay top dollar for my scarp parts? I would love to sell them for more than $0.10 a pound....

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,164 Posts
I replace them with quality new aftermarket axles all of the time. I'm not sure why you think Subaru builds some kind of a magical axle that no one in the aftermarket can reproduce.
There's lots of anecdotal accounts on this forum of aftermarket axles not lasting very long.

There's also a lot of accounts of the original axles lasting a long, long time - so long as they are kept booted and greased. Unfortunately, unethical mechanics sometimes will talk people into replacement of a perfectly good axle that really only needs a new boot and regrease, in order to make more profit on the job. Many have learned this the hard way and end up finding scrapyard OEM or quality rebuilt parts to replace cheap failed aftermarket parts that failed prematurely.

This doesn't mean that every aftermarket supplier has bad parts. Nor does it mean that every OEM rebuilder does a quality job on the rebuild.

But that's the way I'm betting.

And BTW - how often is "...all of the time"? If it's less than 150k - 200k miles, I think you've made my point here.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have done six axles in Subarus this year...
How does that make your point? The cardone aftermarket axles I have used have been flawless.

I have a couple of junk OEM axles with 150,000 miles that you are welcome to resell.... I suspect the way that they vibrate, they will need a bit more than boots.

You couldn't run fast enough to give me rebuilt axles.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
Please tell me where this magical place is that they will pay top dollar for my scarp parts? I would love to sell them for more than $0.10 a pound....
It's been a while, but the last axle I changed, the owner bought something from advance.

Mitchel (MWE/FWE) gave me $20 for the OEM, I don't know if he is still in the rebuild business or not, I think so.

·
Master Caster
16,120 Posts
The cardone aftermarket axles I have used have been flawless.
I am not sure if this is true or not. I asked Shawn at RetroRoo about axles once. He uses Cardone and he said that the Subaru Re-manufactured now are done by Cardone.

Again, I can't claim to know how accurate, just what I heard.

·
Registered
257 Posts
You can buy new Cardone axles with thermoplastic outboard boots for under $100. For that price, it doesn't make sense to me to screw around changing the boots on used axles.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Pleaaaase...

As far as a market for cores, There is none. I have a set of genuine axles that will shake your teeth out on my shop floor right now. Please tell me where this magical place is that they will pay top dollar for my scarp parts? I would love to sell them for more than $0.10 a pound....
It's that same pixie dust that gets sprinkled on everything Subaru. There is a certain group of posters that suggest every part only be replaced with a genuine Subaru part.

I do not see any issue with new aftermarket axles.

Reactions: dougmac

·
Master Caster
16,120 Posts
I do not see any issue with new aftermarket axles.
To be fair, some folks have been around a long time and have had some differnt experience.

I can tell you all for sure that some aftermarket axles or rebuilds are not up to spec in all parts of the unit. I will testify that when I bought my 2006, I had butt vibration when placed in gear at a stop. Not in No vibration in (P), (N), or (R). In fact I started a thread without researching. I was what we call a "forum nube". I am NOT new to Subarus or "chassis whispering".

I replaced the Non-Subaru axle with a re-manufactured unit from Subaru and the drivetrain vibration in (D) subsided. I don't know about the rest of the "pixie dust" , this experience is for real. I know Gen3 XTs with a 5EAT don't like cheap, unkown axles. At least not just (1) side.

·
Master Caster
16,120 Posts
Am I understanding correctly? You are saying that an axle that wasn't even turning was causing a vibration?
Yep.

The "play/slop" in the joint (one of them) wasn't right. So, when in gear (foot on the brake), and stopped, there was a harmonic rhythm, bumping from the boxter 4. That was one thing that Michell showed me in his shop about 4 years go. The Subaru new and reman axles (at the time) were actually "looser" than something it compared to. Especially "new" parts store axles. (again, at the time)

Ok, I am willing to bet all of this is the top 15% of both tech and sensitivity. Most folks can't, or don't know or feel the difference. I use my cars to evaluate the differences that 10 durmometer (or 15d) has on both performance and NVH.

Now maybe axles are different now. Or, if you change both sides, maybe it doesn't matter. Maybe the CVT doesn't care.

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
I have done six axles in Subarus this year..
Any of them on the same wheel position?

Honestly, getting good at a procedure by repetition doesn't prove that the parts used are quality parts. It just means that you've repeated it often enough that you've got it down pat. One has to wonder why you've done this so much, though.

Me, I wouldn't know about replacement aftermarket parts. I've not needed any - rebooted twice but am still on original axles at 120k. My anecdotes are only those quoted here on the forum, and from friends with Subarus.

·
Master Caster
16,120 Posts
One has to wonder why you've done this so much, though.
I think @dougmac is a tech, or has his own shop, if I remember seeing in a past post somewhere. But don't quote me, (uh? I guess I just quoted them) my memory ain't what it use to be.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Any of them on the same wheel position?

Honestly, getting good at a procedure by repetition doesn't prove that the parts used are quality parts. It just means that you've repeated it often enough that you've got it down pat. One has to wonder why you've done this so much, though.

Me, I wouldn't know about replacement aftermarket parts. I've not needed any - rebooted twice but am still on original axles at 120k. My anecdotes are only those quoted here on the forum, and from friends with Subarus.
That represents three different Subarus that I have replaced front axles on this year. With the cost of the boots and the labor to install them, I can supply new axles. I see no reason to install new boots on used axles.

I have replaced many axles in my years as a mechanic and have not had problems with new good quality aftermarket axles.... I'm not sure what point you are tying to make.

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
I'm not sure what point you are tying to make.
Only points I'm trying to make is that (1) the original parts have done well by me by only rebooting them promptly when they need it (2) lots of people here have reported issues with some of the aftermarket replacements, and regret not rebooting and regreasing instead, and (3) there are a lot of mechanics who want to replace rather than reboot, and they do have a profit incentive to do this. Whether or not it's the lowest cost option to the customer isn't the point, considering we're discussing work that ought to last 100k-150k miles.

If you have the magic formula to carry out this task reliably with aftermarket parts and your customers appreciate it, more power to you.

·
Registered
257 Posts
No "proftit incentive"... It's what it makes sense to do to server the customer. Giving them new axles rather than used axles with new boots is better for the customer.

I would be doing the customera disservice by just replacing the boots. Additionaly I have to stand behind my repair. I'm not willing to do a half-assed repair on a customer's car.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean H6. 2003 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean Former 2001 Subaru OBW VDC owner.
1,138 Posts
Hey all. i drive a 1999 subaru legacy outback with 110K miles. A Week ago i had my axles replaced by a mechanic. And this week i realized When turning my steering wheel left and right, i am having noticeable steering fluid leak, and there is also a strained sound when turning. Is it possible that poorly done axle change and the process of removing whatever parts have to be removed or touched to change axles could cause a leak in power steering rack or pipes or reservoirs + make noise?
Unrelated, but I hope you got OEM axels I installed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts