Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback LL Bean H6
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 Outback LL Bean has had some issues the last two days.

Two days ago, while leaving work in the morning, I tried to start the car and it acted like it wasn’t getting fuel. Eventually it started and no problems were observed until the following morning. The next morning, it started with no problem, but as I accelerated out of the parking spot, it acted as if the throttle was stuck or fuel wasn’t being delivered properly. I tried pumping the gas pedal but nothing changed till I took my foot of the pedal. Then it lurched a little and then acted normal the rest of the drive home.

The tank is full and temps on both mornings were below freezing. I know the fuel pump notoriously likes to cause problems with age (cap on housing). Also last weekend, changed the oil and air filter and treated the fuel with sea foam. Maybe it has stirred something loose.

Just curious if it sounds symptomatic of something like the fuel pump, contaminates in the system, etc.. or nothing to be concerned about. Thanks as always for everyone’s assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,268 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fuel filter is maybe 15~20k on it. I’m aware of the fuel pump issue but don’t want to pull the pump unless I have to.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
12,835 Posts
The pump isn't too difficult. If there's a lot of rust, soak the screws on the hold down plate with PB Blaster before trying to get them loose and then give them a tap with a hammer while a socket is the head so you don't mess up the hex. The whole process will take about an hour.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Should I plan on having any seals or anything before I start trying to access the pump? Maybe a new screen to the pump, a salvage or new pump for the cap/gasket issue, etc...

Also looking at parts diagrams, on the left side of the tank there’s an assembly with what’s described as a tank fuel filter PN: 42072AA121. Didn’t even know that was there so I don’t know if it’s ever been replaced. Only replaced the filter in the engine compartment.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
12,835 Posts
The screen at the bottom of the pump is not a maintenance item. If you do get it, make sure it's got a new locking washer with it. It's really small.

You can get a 2005 fuel filter kit and the cap and seal will fit your module. I have one on my VDC. You just toss the filter. Post 581 on this page, it's the top post, shows the Nippon kit and the Viton seal parts numbers: Sleeper vdc

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Already ordered the filter, O-Rings and just in case ordered a new seal for the access panel just in case it gets torn on removal. Haven’t ordered the screen, searching forums shows nobody replacing it so I’ll take my chances with just using the old one

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can clean it with a solvent. You won't get the staining out, though. As long as there's not trash attached to it, like rust from a bad tank, it'll be good.
What kind of solvent would you recommend?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pulled the pump this morning, no noticeable issues with the O-ring or screen so just replaced tho old O-ring with the new Viton O-ring and reinstalled. Did notice what looked like mud or fine rust settled in the cap, so gave the pump a good cleaning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts