Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2002 H4 with 4-speed auto and it has 142,000 miles on the clock. The only major work it has had is the head gaskets replaced a couple of years ago, and an O2 sensor 3 or 4 years ago.

In the last week it has started what I think is misfiring. This happens as I apply throttle from idle, generally when I'm stopped and then pull away, or if I coast into a corner and accelerate out. It is worse the harder I accelerate.

It feels like the engine splutters and stumbles for 2 or 3 seconds, and is then fine. The check-engine light is not on, and has only come on once, yesterday, when I floored it in the snow (gotta have a little fun). Then the check engine light flashed for 3 or 4 seconds and then went out.

A couple of times when it has done it badly under heavy throttle, there's been a 'clunk' sound from the engine. I guess this is a backfire?

I assume because the light isn't on that I can't scan for a code (?).

Any ideas on what's really likely going on, and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks,
Toby
Rochester, NY.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,304 Posts
How old are the plugs?
Wires?
Timing belt?
Some scan tools can find pending or recent codes.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Timing belt was done along with the head gaskets, about 25,000 miles ago. To the best of my knowledge, the plugs and wires are original (unless they were replaced as part of a scheduled maintenance plan by Subaru back during the warranty period).

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,304 Posts
I'd start with plugs and wires. 142k is a bit outside their expected life.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I'm having trouble why a misfire wouldn't trigger a code / CEL... Is it normal to not get a code in this situation?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a look over the car just now, and the intake plumbing from the intake vent back to the airbox was pretty loose. I tried to snug it back into place at the different connections, but it's still not ideal. Would a vacuum leak here cause a problem? I'd have figured only vacuum leaks after the airbox would be an issue (and I can't diagnose those).

Also, and a different subject, the coolant in my overflow container is perfectly clear. It's at the correct level (at the uppermost desired mark). The radiator fluid appears green when I dip my pinkie into the radiator. Weird.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,438 Posts
1. The flashing CEL tells you that it is experiencing a misfire. You should scan for codes and I suspect there will be one. Just because the light is not go on does not mean that there are not any stored codes. But flashing is bad and is telling you to stop driving the car as you are in danger of damaging the Cat.

2. That being said, your issue does sound like a misfire.

3. If you think the plugs and wires are original then I would replace them. NGK all around.

4. I believe you car has a MAF. A vacuum leak will cause problems especially during acceleration as the rate of air flow is changing and the fuel trim system will not be able to compensate quickly enough.

5. The aftermarket long life coolants tend to be very light in color. This is so they can be mixed with other manufactures coolant and not mess with the color for warranty purposes. You probably have Prestone long life or similar in their.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was just out looking at the car with my landlord, he's good with cars. He has a scan tool, and scanned it, but there weren't any codes stored.

He also said not to sweat the clear-looking coolant, his point was that it would have frozen well before now if it was water. True there.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,817 Posts
I had a look over the car just now, and the intake plumbing from the intake vent back to the airbox was pretty loose. I tried to snug it back into place at the different connections, but it's still not ideal. Would a vacuum leak here cause a problem? I'd have figured only vacuum leaks after the airbox would be an issue (and I can't diagnose those).

Also, and a different subject, the coolant in my overflow container is perfectly clear. It's at the correct level (at the uppermost desired mark). The radiator fluid appears green when I dip my pinkie into the radiator. Weird.
Any air intrusion after the MAF sensor mounted at the air filter box is a vacuum leak in a sense. The computer will get incorrect information. When you accelerate, the engine moves. That's why the air tubing is flexible. When you accelerate and the engine moves in such a way to separate a joint in the tube, bucking. Not enough fuel delivery because the computer calculated for air flow reported by the MAF which would be lower than what it actually gets. Running lean.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually the car seems much better today than previously, and all I did was try to put the intake plumbing back in place. This might be it (which would be nice).

How would I go about securing all the joints in the intake plumbing? They're intended to be both flexible and dis-assemblable (is that a word?), so I don't want to interfere with that.

·
Premium Member
14,817 Posts
You must be missing clamps. When I get to the shop I'll post up a breakdown of the intake tube assembly so you can make sure it's correct.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks!

Last night I duct-taped up the connections and the car is running much better. Not completely fixed, though, but much better.

There wasn't a clamp at any of the three connections: intake vent to connector pipe, connector pipe to resonator box, connector pipe to air box.

However, the section of flexible hose that is in the middle of what I'm calling the connector pipe was nicely clamped and seemed like it wasn't split or perished.

I don't know where the clamps went.... I had the head gaskets done a couple of years ago -- maybe they left the clamps off?

·
Premium Member
14,817 Posts
Take your diagram to a Subaru dealer and get what you need. Won't cost much. The tube needs to be sealed to insure no air gets in after the MAF.

I've seen techs lose bolts/nuts, but something as large as those clamps, whoever it was must have been having a really bad day or just didn't care.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Isn't all of that plumbing upstream of the MAF? It's certainly all upstream of the airbox.
Where is the MAF in that diagram?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts