Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking to get a 2017 Outback 2.5i Limited. I have located several in the local market but I've a question on Eyesight. First the customization question. I know you can get a 3.6i with an electrical outlet on the rear of the center console but ONLY if it doesn't have Eyesight. I would like to ADD that same electrical outlet to my 2.5i if I can. Questions are, CAN such a thing be done and if so can the 2.5i have Eyesight? I've looked for harness diagrams online and I've come up empty.

Second question: is Eyesight truly a useful option to have? I assume it works but is it truly only useful if driving long distances?

(This is a repost form /r/subaru. sorry if you've seen it over there.)

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,201 Posts
So I'm looking to get a 2017 Outback 2.5i Limited. I have located several in the local market but I've a question on Eyesight. First the customization question. I know you can get a 3.6i with an electrical outlet on the rear of the center console but ONLY if it doesn't have Eyesight. I would like to ADD that same electrical outlet to my 2.5i if I can. Questions are, CAN such a thing be done and if so can the 2.5i have Eyesight? I've looked for harness diagrams online and I've come up empty.

Second question: is Eyesight truly a useful option to have? I assume it works but is it truly only useful if driving long distances?

if buying this new,...eyesight is worth the get in price.
(we even have a hard boiled, grizzled old grumps here that have stated that, after years of lampooning it... = @Zedhead )

will update thread title to get more people to look at your question on the outlet. maybe someone can suggest if a outlet can be added elsewhere in the car, or on its own circuit.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Adding an extra power outlet is relatively easy whether the car has eyesight or not.

If you can't do it yourself, look for a custom stereo/remote starter shop. They'll be the best equipped to handle the project.

·
Registered
2018 Legacy 36R
296 Posts
I think EyeSite is worth the price for the safety features. Audio is fine, at least as far as my tin ears can tell. Nav system is OK although the maps are not too good and it has a few bugs, but you can use Android Auto or CarPlay both which have good maps and good directions.

My 2018 with EyeSite has two 5 volt (USB Type A) connectors on the back of the center console in addition to the two below the dash. There is also a 12V connector in the center console and another one next to the front USB connectors. The 12V connectors are rated at 10 Amps.

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
603 Posts
The inverter package is a dealer installed option. It is not difficult to do as the inverter mounts under the drivers side seat and there is a little bit of wire fishing under the carpet to the center console box. You can even find the installation procedure as a PDF, it seems to be less than an hour of work for an experienced technician or maybe two hours for a DIY'er.

You might want to find your own inverter that has a greater capacity; The Subaru supplied inverter is only rated at 100 watts.

I have a Xantrex pure sine 1000 watt inverter.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited 3.6r
345 Posts

We assume you mean this?
Subaru Power Outlet - a 110v 2 prong outlet
You can purchase and view installation instructions here: https://subaruonlineparts.com/subaru-outback-120v-power-outlet-p-3985.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We assume you mean this?
Subaru Power Outlet - a 110v 2 prong outlet[/url]
You can purchase and view installation instructions here:

I do indeed! (sorry for the lack of links, I'm still under 10 posts)

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited 3.6r
345 Posts
I do indeed! (sorry for the lack of links, I'm still under 10 posts)
Not a problem.
As far as eye sight goes, its just like any new 'radar' system that adds lane departure warning, lane keep assist (2017+), auto high beams, adaptive cruise control, automatic collision detection, and automatic braking. By that trim you will most likely get blight spot detection which is another package, and rear automatic braking as well as rear cross traffic alert with another package.
As I quoted radar, Subaru actually uses Stereoscopic cameras in the front of the vehicle for the aforementioned items, in conjunction with limited smaller versions of radar for the BLIS and RAB.
Nowadays most manufacturers radar systems are up to par if not beyond what Subaru's system has. In other markets (EU, Japan) Subaru offers more features such as full auto cruise control with lane change capabilities, so hopefully we can get that in the states with an update. Unfortunately the camera system is somewhat differed (read: upgraded) on the 2017+ models, for example the high beam assist is now integrated with the Two cameras, versus the one in the homelink mirror.

I recommend this for you:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-2019/196626-eyesight-technology-package-worth.html
Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums - Search Results for: is eyesight worth it

Now in regards to the power outlet, so long as you don't have RAB as well as the Harman sound system you can add Subaru's OEM inverter. If you get both of those items I would recommend an aftermarket one and follow Subaru's instructions as mentioned previously to get the center arm rest up and out. If you need it for the Kiddies or such I would recommend. Or do what I did when I was a little kid, get an inverter that you can plug into the regular power outlets in the center arm rest. Worked on an old CRT and a PS2 back in the day.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,139 Posts
Subaru's OEM inverter has the fit issues noted if there is other equipment installed, as well as a 100 W limit (due to the 10A fused limit of the accessory power).

As @Tishers pointed out, there are other options, probably at a lower cost per installed Watt. Just go on Amazon and search.

Anything over 100W will need its own separately fused circuit, however.

·
Registered
'17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
2,424 Posts
if buying this new,...eyesight is worth the get in price.
(we even have a hard boiled, grizzled old grumps here that have stated that, after years of lampooning it... = @Zedhead )

will update thread title to get more people to look at your question on the outlet. maybe someone can suggest if a outlet can be added elsewhere in the car, or on its own circuit.
You are Correct Sir! I am all that was stated. And I have done a 180 on my opinion of Eyeballs. It is a very worthy safety feature. It doesn't replace the driver. Yet, helps in many small ways/situations.

There are a couple of acceptable ways of adding a circuit to any vehicle. ES equipped, or not. The means you use is usually determined by how much power your going to need. Higher power draws will need an independant wire from the battery. Smaller draws can be taken from the fuse panel

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,139 Posts
Checked into pricing as I was curious:

Subaru H7110AL100 noted by @my1973vw: 100W, $219.94 on Amazon, $304.69 on subarugenuineparts

Other brands on Amazon, some pretty good quality, sell 100-150W inverters for a range of $15-30.

The $220 spent for the Subaru branded accessory buys you 1000-1200 W with almost any other brand of inverter. No, none of these are the clean output and quality of the Xantrex that @Tishers noted, but they are reasonable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts