Subaru Outback Forums banner

Possible to drop AT/transaxil from '00 GT into '01 Outback w/ AT &/or tranaxil probs?

671 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  soobyhobby 
#1 ·
Possible to drop AT/transaxil from '00 GT into '01 Outback w/ AT &/or tranaxil probs?

Hi
Is is possible to drop a 2000 Legacy GT Automatic transmission/transaxil into a 2001 Outback that has problems with its automatic transmission/transaxil (engine runs, but car won't go). I'm assuming somewhat different gear ratios between GT and Outback, so would that work, or require a rear differential change out too, etc.? And would shifter mechanism position be the same, to link up and/or shifter throw work; or be modifiable to work, etc.?
Anybody ever done one with these before? Howe did it work, if it did? Roadblocks, work arounds, etc.?
(Or - Alternately, is it possible to drop an 01 Outback MT& engine into the 01 with the AT etc.?)

Thanks for your time and consideration,

FloydC, in NorCal area

PS If you know, also PM, as I'm a brand-newbie to the website, and still figuring out where the inbox is, etc.

#2 ·
I don't know the 2nd generation stuff as well but that's generally possible.

There may be a mismatch between final drive of the transmission and the final drive of the rear end. If that happens you swap the rear diff & driveshaft as well. Electrically I think you're ok, they didn't change until 2003/4. Shifters are all the same throughout that range.

There are some tables posted on the 'net with the gear ratio info so you can predict what you'll get before you start. I don't have links handy but it's out there.

The biggest thing to look out for would be VDC vs. non-VDC. It's harder to swap between those two types. I'm guessing you are looking at two non-VDC cars, which makes for an easy swap.

#3 ·
The biggest thing to look out for would be VDC vs. non-VDC. It's harder to swap between those two types. I'm guessing you are looking at two non-VDC cars, which makes for an easy swap.
VDC issues are only 2001-04 H6 car matching problems.

no VDC on any N/A H4 back in 2000-2004 US spec years.

just limited slip rear and plain rear.

#5 ·
Legacy "GT" from 2000-2003 and Outback 2.5 from 1999-2003 have interchangeable transmissions. Whether it be auto or manual.
So yes the Legacy GT transmission will swap right in and everything will work if it is a 2.5

It is not an easy job to swap from auto to manual.

PS. I have done this swap on both manuals and auto's. As well as 1999-2002 Foresters. All of these will work fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.