Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found a decently priced 2005 Outback xt locally. Only issue from the sounds of it is that the turbo is failing. I looked into changing the turbo and it looks like work I can do and that a replacement turbo for this car runs roughly $150-300. My question is I plan on looking at this car soon is there anything special I should check on a car that the turbo is failing on? How risky is it buying a car with a turbo going bad? Anything else you want to tell me all input would be appreciated. I currently have a 2009 Legacy I got a few weeks ago but really love the wagon body style. If it's feasible to get this 2005 xt and repair it affordably and all else checks out when I look at it I'd pretty pleased.

Thanks in advance look forward to your input.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,481 Posts
affordable +

XT or LGT are something that does not compute.

if you want something with more power. look at a H6, worst thing that those could need is a JDM engine.

____

turbo 2005-2009 subaus are for mechanics that eat / sleep / and love them. ...and have $3000 laying around when something craps out under the best of care.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean cheap + xt lgt don't compute? I'm pretty new to the Subaru platform so all information is welcome. This 05 I was going to go look at has had Oil gaskets, cam seals, cam sensor solenoids, and water pump gaskets changed recently and now is in need of a new turbo. Would know until I go see the car and talk to the guy in person but from what I read poor turbo maintenance is to blame for a lot of the failures, that along with a clogged filter in the banjo bolt I guess. As I said I also currently have this 09 Legacy sedan, biggest reason I'm considering looking at this 05 Outback is the wagon body style is my favorite for a Subaru.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,481 Posts
I have linked this epic thread many times. (happy ending, ...but look at the expenses incurred,).

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/129066-potential-06-xt-purchase.html

____

is this car you are looking at being sold for $1200, as is?

it needs a subaru turbo expert to look at it to verify what exactly it needs and how much it will cost to fix.
(can be more then just a turbo,...see thread I linked above).

________

there are a lot of wagons out there,...most of them thankfully without turbos.

... I have a H4 sedan and a H6 wagon. but with all the turbo horror stories here it kind of makes me not want to own one.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,481 Posts
Subaru + bad turbo = run like ****! Whoever buys that car will get screwed, guaranteed.

I would not have a problem if someone like you invested in such things to flip them or keep them, knowing or being able to guess what exactly it needs..

..get it for a song.

and be willing to put a bench known goodie EJ255 in it if need be after you find out its more then the turbo.

however: SO many 2005 XT on the market now,...like the problem child car no one wants,....running or not.

Reactions: bheinen74

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have linked this epic thread many times. (happy ending, ...but look at the expenses incurred,).

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/129066-potential-06-xt-purchase.html

____

is this car you are looking at being sold for $1200, as is?

it needs a subaru turbo expert to look at it to verify what exactly it needs and how much it will cost to fix.
(can be more then just a turbo,...see thread I linked above).

________

there are a lot of wagons out there,...most of them thankfully without turbos.

... I have a H4 sedan and a H6 wagon. but with all the turbo horror stories here it kind of makes me not want to own one.
It's priced at $2000 or best offer. I was primary looking at the possibility of buying it in hopes of keeping it, but I also need a reliable vehicle for work and medical reasons. Not crazy normal driving but I'd say around 50+ miles a day on average not counting extended mile trips occasionally.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT wagon 5MT Limited
320 Posts
I would not have a problem if someone like you invested in such things to flip them or keep them, knowing or being able to guess what exactly it needs..

..get it for a song.

and be willing to put a bench known goodie EJ255 in it if need be after you find out its more then the turbo.

however: SO many 2005 XT on the market now,...like the problem child car no one wants,....running or not.
Best check the definition of "invest".
Broken car $1000
Engine $4000 or more
Turbo $1500
Other parts $500-1000
20-40 hours labor
End product worth maybe $6000

That is not an investment.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,481 Posts
It's priced at $2000 or best offer. I was primary looking at the possibility of buying it in hopes of keeping it, but I also need a reliable vehicle for work and medical reasons. Not crazy normal driving but I'd say around 50+ miles a day on average not counting extended mile trips occasionally.
impossible. they are just not reliable,

even under the best of conditions and owned by a expert mechanic,... that is a car that can leave you stranded along side the road.

and it runs on high octane and lots of it.

___

I would just find another Ej253 powered one like you got. 2006--2009. legacy / outback wagon.

or a Forester if you like. ....2009 have VDC.

(beware 2005 EJ253 are strange. ...first year of that engine with lots of old leftover and new parts mixed in).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
impossible. they are just not reliable,

even under the best of conditions and owned by a expert mechanic,... that is a car that can leave you stranded along side the road.

and it runs on high octane and lots of it.

___

I would just find another Ej253 powered one like you got. 2006--2009. legacy / outback wagon.

or a Forester if you like. ....2009 have VDC.

(beware 2005 EJ253 are strange. ...first year of that engine with lots of old leftover and new parts mixed in).
Thank you for all the info. I'll keep what I have. I do like the Legacy sedan but just have a soft spot for the hatchbacks. Going to be texting the guy back and canceling my plans with him to meet and look at the car. Sounds like there's too much of a risk involved with the 2005 XT for me to take.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,481 Posts
Broken car $1000
Engine $4000 or more
Turbo $1500
Other parts $500-1000
20-40 hours labor

what I think should happen to all the 2005-2009 XT and LGT.

they land with tuner shops that have donors in the back yard to pick off of.

so the part are not expensive to find. and they can still get a $1000-1500 fixable thing and turn it over and sell it for $6000...or better.

with some kind of knowledge that the thing is fixed and running tip top.

(vs. the little stupid used car dealers that would not know a good subaru from a rotten tunip.....turbo or not).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Broken car $1000
Engine $4000 or more
Turbo $1500
Other parts $500-1000
20-40 hours labor

what I think should happen to all the 2005-2009 XT and LGT.

they land with tuner shops that have donors in the back yard to pick off of.

so the part are not expensive to find. and they can still get a $1000-1500 fixable thing and turn it over and sell it for $6000...or better.

with some kind of knowledge that the thing is fixed and running tip top.

(vs. the little stupid used car dealers that would not know a good subaru from a rotten tunip.....turbo or not).
Yea I'm going to steer clear of the 2005 for sure. Already texted the owner to cancel our meeting up for tomorrow. My I like my 2009 Legacy 2.5i and was well maintained (older retired couple sold it to me including all service records). For my next Subaru though I will look for an hatchbacks as they are my favorites.

Here's. My 2009 Legacy btw.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 WRX, 2017 BRZ, 2017 Legacy
365 Posts
Yea I'm going to steer clear of the 2005 for sure. Already texted the owner to cancel our meeting up for tomorrow. My I like my 2009 Legacy 2.5i and was well maintained (older retired couple sold it to me including all service records). For my next Subaru though I will look for an hatchbacks as they are my favorites.
The Outback XT's are awesome in many ways but they suffer from the standard Subaru turbo issues that the WRX/STi/FXT/LGT do, in addition to all the other common transmission and chassis problems. If you look around, the Subaru turbo's with > 150k on an engine are few and far between. That this one has a 'new' engine is good, but the rest of the car is still just a Subaru and you'll be fighting transmission, axle, brake and emissions woes.

At least these engines don't suffer much from the HG issues.

We really like our OBXT but it isn't our only car; it's sort of my hobby vehicle and the winter car for the BRZ. I have the luxury of spending lots of time working on it, but the next time something catastrophic happens I'll have to decide whether to repair or junk it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Outback XT's are awesome in many ways but they suffer from the standard Subaru turbo issues that the WRX/STi/FXT/LGT do, in addition to all the other common transmission and chassis problems. If you look around, the Subaru turbo's with > 150k on an engine are few and far between. That this one has a 'new' engine is good, but the rest of the car is still just a Subaru and you'll be fighting transmission, axle, brake and emissions woes.

At least these engines don't suffer much from the HG issues.

We really like our OBXT but it isn't our only car; it's sort of my hobby vehicle and the winter car for the BRZ. I have the luxury of spending lots of time working on it, but the next time something catastrophic happens I'll have to decide whether to repair or junk it.
Yea that all makes sense, thank you for your input. I got this 2009 Legacy a few weeks ago and do love it. It replaced my old used up 2003 Envoy, and now the Legacy is my daily driver. I also have a 1995 Mustang GT (know it's not a Subaru) but it makes a lot of sense what you guys are saying. Although OXT can be cool they are not necessarily the best daily drivers. Maybe even from the sound of it any turbo car in that matter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts