Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 2013 2.5 limited SAP.

I drive 3000-4000 miles a month and want to get a different commuter. I usually buy 2-3 year old low mileage cars but I really like the 2013 Outback. I also see the they hold their value quite well so buying used doesn't make sense.

We currently have a 2010 Prius v and a 2008 Scion XB. I sold my Lexus GS430 when I got this job a year ago and got the Scion for work. That got old quick and I got rid of our Honda Pilot for the Prius and now use that primarily for work and my wife drives the XB.

I don't like the XB and would like to replace it. My wife loves our Prius and wants to have that as her regular wheels. I'm getting tired in the Prius (I'm 6'4", about 250lb). I bought it in October 2012 and have already logged 19k miles.

I know that I will greatly miss the fuel economy I get with the Prius but I think I'm at the point where I wouldn't mind something a little more comfortable.

It's 90% highway so I'm hoping for high 20's. I have pretty much picked out my OB, want black with saddle. I get VIP so it'll be invoice-2% which puts it at just over $30k.

I'll get off my soap box and ask the questions:

Are there any high mileage 4th gen OB owners? Can you chime on how it's holding up? My plans are to keep it for 2-3 years a which point I will have 70-120k miles.

Are the seats comfortable for long drives? My commute is anywhere from 2-7 hours.

Do the OEM continentals last a while? Do they get noisy?

I know Subaru's last a long time if taken care of which is what I'm looking for. Thanks for your help, and I hope to soon announce the purchase of my new OB :)

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Normally for people in your situation, I say stick with older cars. But, well I didn't follow my own advice there and bought new. Still, you brought it up...

;)

90% hwy or 90% freeway? I've seen more complaints from 2013's on here than 2010-12 about gas mileage and some of them believe Subaru actually broke the car and 2013's get worse mileage now, which I find silly since most 2013 haven't seen summer fuel yet anyway. There are a few polls and topics on this and a couple I've even started.

I drive about 75% HWY which means traffic lights every few miles and I'm right around 26mpg on a 2012 (different motor). The 2013 should do slightly better. I'd guess your numbers would be around there too.

I hated the tires so much they were only on the car 1200 miles. I'm in the minority, I'd guess 90% of people love the Conti shipping tires.

If I had it to do over again it would be SAP (except I hate Black, was spoiled with silver for too long and Black is work) and All-Waether-pkg. Those heated seats are the best thing on the car.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited Eyesight Lapis Blue Pearl
71 Posts
I drive more than 5000 miles a month on my company provided Ram 1500, and I sure do wish that it had adaptive cruise control like my wife's Outback with EyeSight does... Just saying...

·
Registered
'15 Forester 2.5 CVT
198 Posts
A 2013 2.5 limited SAP.

I drive 3000-4000 miles a month and want to get a different commuter. I usually buy 2-3 year old low mileage cars but I really like the 2013 Outback. I also see the they hold their value quite well so buying used doesn't make sense.

We currently have a 2010 Prius v and a 2008 Scion XB. I sold my Lexus GS430 when I got this job a year ago and got the Scion for work. That got old quick and I got rid of our Honda Pilot for the Prius and now use that primarily for work and my wife drives the XB.

I don't like the XB and would like to replace it. My wife loves our Prius and wants to have that as her regular wheels. I'm getting tired in the Prius (I'm 6'4", about 250lb). I bought it in October 2012 and have already logged 19k miles.

I know that I will greatly miss the fuel economy I get with the Prius but I think I'm at the point where I wouldn't mind something a little more comfortable.

It's 90% highway so I'm hoping for high 20's. I have pretty much picked out my OB, want black with saddle. I get VIP so it'll be invoice-2% which puts it at just over $30k.

I'll get off my soap box and ask the questions:

Are there any high mileage 4th gen OB owners? Can you chime on how it's holding up? My plans are to keep it for 2-3 years a which point I will have 70-120k miles.

Are the seats comfortable for long drives? My commute is anywhere from 2-7 hours.

Do the OEM continentals last a while? Do they get noisy?

I know Subaru's last a long time if taken care of which is what I'm looking for. Thanks for your help, and I hope to soon announce the purchase of my new OB :)
About your very high mileage, did you ever consider VW TDI. Almost same mileage as your Prius, but a lot more fun to drive...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Normally for people in your situation, I say stick with older cars. But, well I didn't follow my own advice there and bought new. Still, you brought it up...

;)

90% hwy or 90% freeway? I've seen more complaints from 2013's on here than 2010-12 about gas mileage and some of them believe Subaru actually broke the car and 2013's get worse mileage now, which I find silly since most 2013 haven't seen summer fuel yet anyway. There are a few polls and topics on this and a couple I've even started.

I drive about 75% HWY which means traffic lights every few miles and I'm right around 26mpg on a 2012 (different motor). The 2013 should do slightly better. I'd guess your numbers would be around there too.

I hated the tires so much they were only on the car 1200 miles. I'm in the minority, I'd guess 90% of people love the Conti shipping tires.

If I had it to do over again it would be SAP (except I hate Black, was spoiled with silver for too long and Black is work) and All-Waether-pkg. Those heated seats are the best thing on the car.
I'd say probably 75% freeway, 20% highway and 5% city. I work in IL, IA, MI, MO and live in WI.

Why did you hate the tires so much? Just curious. I'm a Michelin man myself and am very sensitive to road noise.

MPG are quite important and are really the only thing that is standing in the way of pulling the trigger. With the amount of miles I drive, going from 50mpg to 2pg is a major drawback.

I'm not a fan of black cars either, but I really don't want another white car. Maybe I'll look at the brown.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
About your very high mileage, did you ever consider VW TDI. Almost same mileage as your Prius, but a lot more fun to drive...
While I like the drive ability and looks of VW, I would never purposely welcome myself into the world of their electrical nightmares. I worked in a shop before that specialized in German cars and I will never own one as a daily driver myself, let alone a commuter.

I have, however owned numerous older BMW 3 series (80's).

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Premium - Former: Golf TDI
457 Posts
As a former 2011 Golf TDI owner, please do not buy a VW CR TDI until they get their HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) issues sorted out. While only affecting about 4-5% of owners right now, it is a VERY costly repair ($9,000 in my case) in the event that it does happen. Mine went randomly around 28,000 miles leaving me stranded for quite some time.

They are hugely fun to drive, great torque, materials/fit/finish are impecable at the price - mine even churned out a lifetime average of 46mpg but I would let them iron out a fix before committing my $$ to one again :D

Back to the OP's questions:

- In about 90% hwy driving, I see tank averages right at 30mpg in the summer, 26-27 in the winter.
- Stock continentals are great in terms of traction and comfort, however at 30,000 miles mine are getting VERY noisy despite religious rotations and inflation monitoring. I will be replacing before next winter season here in St. Louis
-I'm 6'3, 250lbs and I couldn't be more comfortable. Longest "one day drive" was a little over 1,000 miles down to Florida from St. Louis and I didn't have a single issue in terms of comfort

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Limited -GONE!
73 Posts
I'd say probably 75% freeway, 20% highway and 5% city. I work in IL, IA, MI, MO and live in WI.

Why did you hate the tires so much? Just curious. I'm a Michelin man myself and am very sensitive to road noise.

MPG are quite important and are really the only thing that is standing in the way of pulling the trigger. With the amount of miles I drive, going from 50mpg to 2pg is a major drawback.....
Can't speak for the tires as the 2013's have different Contis from what ours came with , but ours are a bit noisy for what they are.

But, I strongly suggest you take a long (like 2+ hr) highway test drive before buying. I (& many others here) will tell you that some OB's have serious issues with prolonged highway driving due to un-fixable steering issues. Long stretches of straight flat road are the worst as that is where your steering effort should be the most relaxed, but isn't due to the car's wandering. Since you list IA, IL, etc.., this would probably apply.

The steering feel & directional stability in these cars is awful and if you like to keep your car centered in the lane, this may not be the vehicle for you. The degree of the issue, ranging from 'annoying' to 'terrifying', seems to variable by specific car so it's a crapshoot as to what you'll get.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
2012 Outback Premium Ruby Red Pearl 2.5 CVT AWP
401 Posts
I came out of a 2005 Prius (I was driving 900 miles/week and bought it for MPG's) and bought my '12 2.5 OB Premium. I missed the Prius MPG's at first but not the discomfort of the car. I too am a big guy 6"2" and 260 and the Prius was one of the most uncomfortable cars I have ever driven. That said, I love my OB. I commute freeway about 30 miles each way and with winter fuel have been averaging 29-30. Summer I was seeing 31-32. I don't seem to have any wandering or steering issues that some others seem to report, and the car has been flawless so far with ~18K on it. I think you will love the OB and like me, not miss the Prius.
Good Luck!
Paul

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Just a suggestion go drive the Legacy they are a little cheaper Same EXACT CAR minus the hatch. Also check with the local dealers VIP program in my area is the expensive purchase program for Subarus. All three including the two 2010's were bought for $400 over invoice. The Legacy was much easier to wheel and deal on add on items and pricing by the way. Dealer tossed in $400 add on option at no cost after we hit a road block on the trade negotiation which was done after we had settled on the new car price.

For your need the Legacy would be the better choice for the job and commuting. It's a little more fuel efficient than the OB - is much better on tires than the OB and drives WAY WAY nicer than the OB. If it wasn't for the 75lb dog and being uncool to sit the dog with the kids in the back seat we would have a Legacy not an OB.

Bought Grandma the legacy very nice car tires are still great at 40K zero issues drives fantastic. OB not so much and it cost more!

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium CVT, AWP, Steel Silver
826 Posts
I think the OB has the most comfortable drivers seat I have ever used.
Just my opinion, others would argue the opposite.

The whole wandering thing? Not sure what to say about that.
I will say the thing I most dislike about this car is that there is zero on center feel to the steering wheel. Is that wandering? I don't think so.
I guess if I had to choose a car for as much highway driving as you do, I probably wouldn't get the OB.

You should get better than 30mpg with that much highway driving I would think, outside of those -2F days.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Premium - Former: Golf TDI
457 Posts
^ I would just add that the SAP is not available on the Legacy if you're dead set on it.

My father and I purchased both at the same time - 2012 Legacy and Outback. Legacy was approx $2,000 cheaper for the exact same configuration. Hauling, kids, and dog necessitated the Outback for me over the Legacy. Legacy does handle/drive better, no doubt.

But ****, if we're going this route now, I'd suggest looking at a host of other mid-size sedans if AWD isn't necessary for you (mostly the Passat or Optima as they are both awesome rides having tested both extensively) :)

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited
22 Posts
We own a 2013 2.5 limited and would not recommend it for a highway driver. The car wanders and feels unsteady on the freeway. In fact, it feels scarry to drive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, lots of good advice in this thread! Thank you!

I do plan on taking one for a weekend before making the final decision and taking it on a few hundred mile drive.

Now that I have been considering the Outback, I feel like I see them all over the place!

I definitely do not want the Legacy, I like the utility of the Outback and we will be keeping the Prius as the second car. I want one car with some room in it (have a dog and a baby).

Getting less than 25MPG is a bit concerning for me.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
We own a 2013 2.5 limited and would not recommend it for a highway driver. The car wanders and feels unsteady on the freeway. In fact, it feels scarry to drive.
One thing for sure if you came from another brand Subaru steering is different. My mother described it as direct. Very little play and he car will respond to every input. Takes some getting use too. I had the same experience in 2001 when I bought my first subaru and replaced a toyota. My mother came from a Nissan Altima she had the same type of experience. 44K on her car now and she loves it.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited (special appearance) Black 2.5
58 Posts

MPG are quite important and are really the only thing that is standing in the way of pulling the trigger. With the amount of miles I drive, going from 50mpg to 2pg is a major drawback.

I'm not a fan of black cars either, but I really don't want another white car. Maybe I'll look at the brown.
I too live in WI and work in IL. The road noise is not bad (even on that new stretch of grooved concrete on i-94 just south of the WI state line into Chicago) I commute only 100 miles a day round trip and it's about 75% interstate (i-94 from Racine to North Chicago) 25% city/county driving. My interstate drive is around 80 MPH and I see about 25 MPG on average on my display which is around 24 MPG when calculated by hand based on mileage and fuel consumption. I chose the 13 OB w/ SAP as a DD for commuting based on many of the reasons you brought up (value retention vs buying used) I can't say it's a bad commuter car even in heavy traffic, but there are better ones out there without AWD and the space in the OB. I find the OB to be the best of many worlds in the excellent auto market today-- it is a difficult choice because consumers have never had so many great options. The 13 OB w/ SAP fit the bill for me best. Good luck!

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Wow, lots of good advice in this thread! Thank you!

I do plan on taking one for a weekend before making the final decision and taking it on a few hundred mile drive.

Now that I have been considering the Outback, I feel like I see them all over the place!

I definitely do not want the Legacy, I like the utility of the Outback and we will be keeping the Prius as the second car. I want one car with some room in it (have a dog and a baby).

Getting less than 25MPG is a bit concerning for me.
Vas on thing for sure since the 2010 re design and CVT the OB has a MUCH MUCH wider range of mileage than prior generations. I've found that the new OB with CVT has a much greater ability to reach into the 30mpg range in ideal conditions - mild temps 55-60mph speeds, flat vs hills or mountains etc. I also found that in cold temps probably due to emissions systems it can see a larger hit on mileage than my older subaru had. Summer time semi rural flat driving with very limited stop and go waiting for lights etc 23-25mpg around town is fairly normal with light use of the throttle. City living where you have lots of waiting with the engine running, hills - fast sprints to the next light down two blocks etc mileage easily runs in the 21mpg range.

Road trips pending conditions speeds - trailers - roof boxes we do all of that have ranged from 23mpg due to heavy head winds - high vehicle speeds - towing trailers I see as low as 16mpg and as high as 26mpg. No trailer no roof gear and ideal conditions I've had entire tank averages run 32mpg.

All depends on the conditions. My old Subaru never got anything better than 28 in near hypermiler perfect conditions saw as low as 16mpg under essentially race track conditions but generally you could bet on a tank average of 24-25mpg and you would win nearly 99% of the time.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
179 Posts
These cars are absolutely horrible and dangerous highway cruisers. I would never in a million years ever consider an Outback if I drove many highway miles. Please do yourself a big favor and drive the car you will buy for a few hours on the highway to see if you like the steering dynamics. Because if you buy one of these that turns out to be a wanderer you're in for quite a ride with Subaru...they make you feel like you're the problem...not the crappy product they sold you at a premium price. Many of us s with wanderers have heard ths same response from Subaru...they say the cars perform as designed...nothing wrong with it and no repairs needed. They are are full of monkey poop and they know it. Feel the love?

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
These cars are absolutely horrible and dangerous highway cruisers. I would never in a million years ever consider an Outback if I drove many highway miles. Please do yourself a big favor and drive the car you will buy for a few hours on the highway to see if you like the steering dynamics. Because if you buy one of these that turns out to be a wanderer you're in for quite a ride with Subaru...they make you feel like you're the problem...not the crappy product they sold you at a premium price. Many of us s with wanderers have heard ths same response from Subaru...they say the cars perform as designed...nothing wrong with it and no repairs needed. They are are full of monkey poop and they know it. Feel the love?
^ and then there are the goofy peeps who think a tall wagon should drive like a G35.
One thing is for sure nothing about Subaru is a premium price never has been. But if your comparison is a Chrysler NEON then Subarus might seem like premium priced cars. LOL

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
179 Posts
^ and then there are the goofy peeps who think a tall wagon should drive like a G35.
One thing is for sure nothing about Subaru is a premium price never has been. But if your comparison is a Chrysler NEON then Subarus might seem like premium priced cars. LOL
Are you saying I'm a "goofy peep"??? Please clarify.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts