Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found a few issues with the new UI on the site, especially the post editor (create/edit).

The first thing I notice is there seems to be tons of wasted space (see screenshot) with the oversized "header bar" as well as large whitespace areas between the "Post Thread", "thread title", "editor", and then the controls are really huge. Its like all the areas around the main text entry are "over-zoomed" but the main body is normal ~12 point font and my browser-zoom is set to 100%.

The more aggravating thing is now highlighting seems to not work anymore (its invisible?). If I need to go tweak something as I proof my post, I can't highlight to copy-paste because dragging seems to do nothing...though if I then press "delete" a block near where I dragged is removed, although I can't see what will be removed. This makes it very hard, almost unusable...and easy to lose a lot of information -- the first time I thought it didn't work and accidentally deleted most of my post instead of just a couple words, had to start over.

I'm using Firefox 68 on Windows 10 (at work right now), haven't had a chance to test at home with Firefox on Linux yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
The more aggravating thing is now highlighting seems to not work anymore (its invisible?). If I need to go tweak something as I proof my post, I can't highlight to copy-paste because dragging seems to do nothing...though if I then press "delete" a block near where I dragged is removed, although I can't see what will be removed. This makes it very hard, almost unusable...and easy to lose a lot of information -- the first time I thought it didn't work and accidentally deleted most of my post instead of just a couple words, had to start over.
The highlighting in the light mode is very subtle.... on the mobile browser it's a little more visible, but not much.

Dark mode of course, you see it better (more contrast). It's a difference in the color schemes.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's frustrating. Personally I hate "dark" schemes, I find them hard on my eyes (especially with a desktop configuration machine)...I don't suppose there is any way to change the colors?

In your screenshots I can't see any hilight at all in the "light" one...even if I squat down at an angle to my monitor or stand up and look down. Its apparently too close to background to tell even when you get in a position most other subtle differences pop.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
the highlighting in the light mode is very light (not much contrast). On the mobile devices (iOS) there are little handles on either side and it is more obvious what's highlighted. Definitely something that could be improved is the contrast for the highlighting in the light mode.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
The highlighting in the light mode is very subtle.... on the mobile browser it's a little more visible, but not much.
That's frustrating. Personally I hate "dark" schemes, I find them hard on my eyes (especially with a desktop configuration machine)...I don't suppose there is any way to change the colors?

In your screenshots I can't see any hilight at all in the "light" one...even if I squat down at an angle to my monitor or stand up and look down. Its apparently too close to background to tell even when you get in a position most other subtle differences pop.
the highlighting in the light mode is very light (not much contrast). On the mobile devices (iOS) there are little handles on either side and it is more obvious what's highlighted. Definitely something that could be improved is the contrast for the highlighting in the light mode.
I'm glad I'm not the only one this is a problem for. I usually hate to mention issues that have to do with colors (which is basically what the lack of contrast of the highlighting is), because I have some color deficiencies (more often described as color blindness) with certain shades and colors. What I have run into in the past is that those with the task of deciding if a problem is something that needs fixing might look at the highlighting issue and because they can see it just fine it gets passed over as not being a problem. Meanwhile, those of us who have a very hard time distinguishing the highlighted areas are just left frustrated and have to deal with it.

I too have an extreme dislike of most dark themes on pretty much any website and they are hard on my eyes. But it does appear that the highlighting is much easier to see in the dark theme.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one this is a problem for. I usually hate to mention issues that have to do with colors (which is basically what the lack of contrast of the highlighting is), because I have some color deficiencies (more often described as color blindness) with certain shades and colors. What I have run into in the past is that those with the task of deciding if a problem is something that needs fixing might look at the highlighting issue and because they can see it just fine it gets passed over as not being a problem. Meanwhile, those of us who have a very hard time distinguishing the highlighted areas are just left frustrated and have to deal with it.

I too have an extreme dislike of most dark themes on pretty much any website and they are hard on my eyes. But it does appear that the highlighting is much easier to see in the dark theme.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts