Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

So I teach high school shop class and we just rebuilt a 2.5 motor on a 2001 Outback. Now, to start, my students did not follow the directions and removed the torque converter. In the process that tube that drives the pump came out. They also broke the clip that holds that on. All that said, we got a new clip, we installed the TC and then the engine.

After the engine install, we had a few problems, but one of them is that it is leak (what I think is) gear oil and the AT is not engaging fully. It does some, but barely.

My friend who is a Subaru guy said that the TC was probably not properly seated. Which makes sense to me, but before we pull that engine back out I just want to make sure it isn't just the TC not having enough fluid in it or something else. When we mated the engine/flexplate with the TC they seemed to align really well. I figured it was all the way in. We never drained the fluid from the TC, but for all I know a student could have done that without me know.

I just want to gameplan before we dive in. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Check the ATF level and properly fill it.

there's nothing special about filling the torque converter, just fill the transmission with AT and check at the dipstick.

when the engine is installed the flexplate and torque converter do not touch, there's a 1/8" gap or so. the flexplate bolts then draw the two together.

if not seated fully the engine will touch the torque converter when installed and the engine to transmission bellhousing bolts will draw the engine/trans together and at the same time damage the transmission oil pump by incorrectly smashing the driven tube into it.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,454 Posts
Either the Trans fluid was low or the TC was not seated properly and you crushed the pump.

When installing the motor, the TC should be nearly flush with the transmission housing and once the trans and engine are mated should spin freely of the flexplate. When you align the flexplate and TC to install the bolts that connect them the TC should spin freely. As you tighten the bolts the TC will pull out a small amount from the trans and mate with the flexplate.

Trans fluid Fluid level should be checked with engine running.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, we mated up the engine and transmission and the TC spun freely. Of course, I am working with teenagers, so they never cease to amaze me, but it all appeared good.

If the TC was emptied (which it wasn't supposed to be), how long would it take to fill?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, well I got under there now, myself, and confirmed that it isn't gear oil, it's motor oil, but dripping from around the front differential and the steering rack. We can't pinpoint the source yet.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,781 Posts
worst case for oil leak in that area might be head gasket or cam plug (? anyone?) air/oil separator plate on rear of block is on the other side so, maybe that's exonerated?.

best case might be some kind of screw-up when filling making a 'pool' of oil on top of the engine?

good idea to shift theur the other gears and re-check trans level, marks are NOT 1 qt. apart, more like a few ounces so, sneak-up on FULL, half pint at a time. - wait a minute before checking with the stick.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,610 Posts
My money is still on the TC not being seated correctly. Ask them if they had to use the bellhousing bolts to pull the engine and trans together. If there's a gap larger than 1/8 in., then something's wrong.

When rebuilding the engine, did they use an oil pan gasket? The answer should be no, but Fel-Pro likes to sell one. Did they replace or reseal the separator plate? If plastic, it should be replaced.

There's also the other inspection plate O-ring and rear main that can leak if not properly installed. Usually mitigated by reading the directions. But hey, that's what shop class is for, right?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts