Subaru Outback Forums banner

1001 - 1020 of 1030 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Outback EJ253, auto
9 Posts
First time poster here. Picked up a beat up 03 Outback base w/cold weather package. 142k, CEL was on, has a bad inner CV joint, needs brake rotors (a local brake shop did a pad slap a few months ago according to Carfax and receipts found in the car, but the rotors are.... uh, we'll just say the car turns into a paint shaker while braking). Got it cheap enough that I don't really care about the dents or the issues since I do most of my own work. CEL was resolved with a new primary O2 sensor (Denso, and ****, they really didn't mean for that thing to be replaced without dropping the exhaust, did they?), I'll replace the RF half shaft soon, and it's gonna get all fluids soon enough. It has a Gates timing belt sticker showing it was done at 128k, but from what I've read here, it looks like I may need to pull the timing cover and inspect the tensioner. New OEM Subaru alternator recently.

By beat, I mean the body is kinda beat (also, it's been mechanically neglected a bit, but it looks like only by the most recent owner, who only had it for 6k miles). Both bumpers are damaged, right rear wheel arch looks like it got scraped along a garage wall, and in general it's just kinda beat up (interior is nice though!). But it's a cheap car, it passed emissions, and aside from the warped rotors and bad inner CV, it drives great. Everything on it works now, it had a blown fuse for the lighter (which apparently handles several other things) when I got it

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium
340 Posts
First time poster here. Picked up a beat up 03 Outback base w/cold weather package. 142k, CEL was on, has a bad inner CV joint, needs brake rotors (a local brake shop did a pad slap a few months ago according to Carfax and receipts found in the car, but the rotors are.... uh, we'll just say the car turns into a paint shaker while braking). Got it cheap enough that I don't really care about the dents or the issues since I do most of my own work. CEL was resolved with a new primary O2 sensor (Denso, and ****, they really didn't mean for that thing to be replaced without dropping the exhaust, did they?), I'll replace the RF half shaft soon, and it's gonna get all fluids soon enough. It has a Gates timing belt sticker showing it was done at 128k, but from what I've read here, it looks like I may need to pull the timing cover and inspect the tensioner. New OEM Subaru alternator recently.

By beat, I mean the body is kinda beat (also, it's been mechanically neglected a bit, but it looks like only by the most recent owner, who only had it for 6k miles). Both bumpers are damaged, right rear wheel arch looks like it got scraped along a garage wall, and in general it's just kinda beat up (interior is nice though!). But it's a cheap car, it passed emissions, and aside from the warped rotors and bad inner CV, it drives great. Everything on it works now, it had a blown fuse for the lighter (which apparently handles several other things) when I got it

Don't think you'll need the cold weather package too much in Texas lol, looks pretty nice though to be honest especially if you got it cheap.

·
Registered
2003 Outback EJ253, auto
9 Posts
Don't think you'll need the cold weather package too much in Texas lol, looks pretty nice though to be honest especially if you got it cheap.
$2000 out the door from a mom and pop dealer literally walking distance from home (they just flip auction cars), asking was $2500 + TTL. The rear suspension creaks like a college dorm bed during "studying", but it doesn't feel like anything except a CV joint is really worn out (spotted a split inner CV boot before purchase, and it shakes pretty good under light acceleration... goes away under full throttle, so pretty classic bad inner CV joint symptoms) - I'm assuming the squeaking/creaking is just dry rotted bushings more than anything. It handles a lot better than I expected something this heavy to handle, but it does have some pretty good body roll.

I work a physically demanding job (overnight stocker in a grocery store) - so even with our mild falls, the seat heaters are REALLY nice on my lower back on the way home. When we actually DO get winter weather (once maybe every 5 years), it's usually a bunch of ice instead of snow - so the windshield and mirror heaters will come in handy if I have it that long (this thing definitely has me sold on Subarus though... I was a Honda guy for ages, then went to the dark side [GM] for awhile.. now Subaru). Austin is kinda hilly in some areas (not where I live, but my other job is courier work that takes me everywhere), so the AWD will be nice. At the moment it's usually garaged, but that will probably be changing in about 4 or 5 months.

It started life in Albuquerque NM (which sees somewhat colder weather than we do), then wound up outside of Seattle a few months later, then spent 8 years in Canada before coming back to the US (no rust except on exhaust fasteners, it really looks like a southern car underneath), so I can see why it got optioned with the cold weather package.

·
Registered
2000 OBW Limited 5 MT- Black Granite Pearl
438 Posts
4th Gen rims and lowering springs? I really like it
Yes. Spec B 18s and Legacy suspension in both those pics. Coilovers and corvette wheels now, tho

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
438 Posts
that's different!
If you wanna see different, I had an SG Forester bumper swapped for a couple months this past summer, too

·
Registered
438 Posts
What was the reason for taking it off? I noticed it quite didn't fit, what a shame. Do you rally also?
Needed some massaging with a heat gun to fit on the sides, that hasn't been done yet. And for the gap between grille and lights, I have the JDM Rev D front end so I couldn't cut and weld that chunk onto the forester from my stock bumper as it's a little different. And I couldn't bring myself to trim that piece off the Rev D bumper to match. But other than those two spots, I was very surprised with how well it fit. I had installed it as a test fit, and ended up keeping it for a while cause it looked pretty good with the stance. But ultimately I missed the lower sitting stock Outback bumper, which I had a lip for (pictured). The fozz bumper may return, stay tuned ;)

And I'm a Subaru Ambassador, so I was invited by Subaru to a few ARA events to follow and meet the Subaru Motorsports team and that's what they provided us with to put on our cars to mark us. I've definitely thought about doing it with one of my other Outbacks at a competetive level. But till then I do a fair amount of ripping through the woods out of town with my friends for fun (winter is a blast)

·
Registered
02 Outback Limited 2.5 liter H4
26 Posts
Very cool. I keep thinking about trying my hand in Motocross or road race but can't find anything reasonably priced in my area

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just picked this '03 up. It needs new wheels for winter and summer. These are borrowed from my Legacy GT, but will need to go back soon. Does anyone have any pictures of 18s on a stock-height '00-'04 outback?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Just picked this '03 up. It needs new wheels for winter and summer. These are borrowed from my Legacy GT, but will need to go back soon. Does anyone have any pictures of 18s on a stock-height '00-'04 outback? View attachment 474223
Not mine, but this one belongs to one of the owners of Subie Savers.

05-07 Spec B 18x7

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not mine, but this one belongs to one of the owners of Subie Savers.

05-07 Spec B 18x7

Awesome, thanks! I'm having a hard time deciding if 18s look silly with the higher ride height. I'm thinking a larger profile might balance better, but I'm still unsure. There's a good deal on 18s nearby me that I'd snag if I could make up my mind on the size.

BTW- is he running spacers? Those wheels poke more than I thought the Spec B wheels do. Also, do you know what size tires those are? I can't make it out.

Thanks again

1001 - 1020 of 1030 Posts