Subaru Outback Forums banner

3441 - 3460 of 3511 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback Premium
33 Posts
Thank you manucha0!

On the Subie, there are four "strap" anchoring points rated at 150lbs so I had a local welding shop build me an Al frame that would anchor those anchoring points after the brackets were removed. I drove without a fairing to start with but that was like pushing a giant 'shoebox' down the road so back to the welding shop. We made an Al fairing that slides on the frame so it is removable with just a few screws. This set up made a HUGE improvement and I can't tell that there is a RTT on top.

Dempster is a great road to take as it is less traveled by big trucks and you have to cross the river twice by a ferrry (free) that sort of makes it cool. Wildlife is abundant including grizzlies that makes it interesting when they don't want you to pass them on the road. There is one service station, Eagle Plains, midway and its a must to stop to fill up. Once you arrive Inuvik, its a small little town with a great and must eat place named "Alestine's". The road to Tuk had just opened when we drove out there so it was very spongy and at times a bit difficult to navigate. Tuk was not totally ready for tourism but can only guess that has changed by now. Stay a few days in Dawson City before and after the journey to Inuvik as it is a cool gold rush town basically in the same shape as during the gold rush.

Not sure how you will travel but if you get a chance, take the "top of the world highway" from Tok via Chicken to Dawson City.

Most of all - Have fun!

·
Registered
2016 OB / 2008 Impreza / 1985 FJ60
144 Posts
take the "top of the world highway" from Tok via Chicken to Dawson City.
Wow.. thanks for all that beta...!!!

Yes that is the plan.. everyone speaks highly of top of the world as a must do....!!!
Hopefully once we out of this virus thing.. We'll get to go out and play...

Prudhoe Bay from SoCal was a two months deal....
I thinking same or more for this leg...in my old rusty, but trusty FJ60...
Great to see the Outback outthere... like that !!
I have had the chance to explore a lot of the southwest in it and Im amazed as to how capable it is, for a crossover.. !!!

·
Registered
2015 Outback Premium
33 Posts
Wow.. thanks for all that beta...!!!

Yes that is the plan.. everyone speaks highly of top of the world as a must do....!!!
Hopefully once we out of this virus thing.. We'll get to go out and play...

Prudhoe Bay from SoCal was a two months deal....
I thinking same or more for this leg...in my old rusty, but trusty FJ60...
Great to see the Outback outthere... like that !!
I have had the chance to explore a lot of the southwest in it and Im amazed as to how capable it is, for a crossover.. !!!
Sounds like you had a great adventure to PB. We had initially planned to go up there too but decided against it based on amount of trucks and then not be able to freely enjoy the arctic ocean. Tuk is a small First Nation community so you have the chance to meet and listen to their life and living (which is very interesting) in addition to have full access to the AO.

If and when you decide to go, let me know and I will be happy to provide some additional info about cool places to visit if you so wish.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Premium
33 Posts
Any pics of the CB setup
I don't believe that I have any actual pics of the set up up. In short, the antenna was attached to the Al frame (made for the tent to mount to) by a round Al post sticking out just enough so the antenna could be mounted and not to become a risk to anyone walking by. I ran the coax through the rear hatch and then under the inside side covers up to the back of the center console. I grounded the antenna to one of the mounting screws for the rear hatch bolts and then measured to make sure good grounding throughout. The only occasional concerns were when entering low areas (garage etc) as the antenna could potentially hit 'things'.

I had the Cobra CB standing on its rear and secured it to the console with a combination of a strap and velcro. The power came from the fuse box and I had no issues with 'whining' noise etc. Given the height and location of the antenna, I had great reception. Initially I had a separate speaker but decided to remove it as the sound was good without it.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
Subaru Outback 2017 Premier
28 Posts
Remember me? I’m the one who needed help with his WRX wheels

i’ve installed them....I might buy spacers but trying the setup for one week... around 3 mm between tire and front strut

2017 outback premium 3.6
LED converted fogs and Head lights
245/55/18
WRX wheels 8,5 inches instead 7 inch stock

·
Registered
Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited 2016
6 Posts
[QUOTE = "hams206, message: 5966387, membre: 505987"]
Agréable!
Configuration d'échappement intéressante. Voulez-vous nous dire ce que vous en avez fait et des extraits sonores?
Merci!
[/CITATION]
Embout d'échappement fibre de carbon Akrapovic. Ne change pas la sonorité.

3441 - 3460 of 3511 Posts