·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,822 Posts
17x8 +45 enkei rpf1
kumho ecsta 4x 235/55/17
muteki lugnuts
G2 painted calipers with "subaru" sticker and clearcoat
so glad i stayed with 17, 18s look better but overall a 17" wheel is a better choice for this car
also in regard to last question, tire rack sells pretty good stuff, i wouldn't buy from anywhere else. they really know their stuff. if you're that worried, grind down your calipers and get 15" rally wheels.

·
Registered
2012 Silver Outback Premium 2.5 CVT
175 Posts
Awesome, thanks. No, not THAT worried, I just don't know the world of car wheels like I do mountain bike wheels, where there's a million ways to get conned into something dangerously cheap. Love your car, man.

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free
1,220 Posts
The offsets for this car are truly pathetic.

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free
1,220 Posts
No, because flat faced wheels suck. There is no aggressiveness without some dish.

BTW, Jimy, what tires are you running and can you give some feedback vs. the stockers. THANKS!

·
Registered
07 limited OB XT
80 Posts
No, because flat faced wheels suck. There is no aggressiveness without some dish.

BTW, Jimy, what tires are you running and can you give some feedback vs. the stockers. THANKS!
I'm with you on the high offsets. They really don't give us any real room to have any sort of lip.

Tires are Falken Sincera touring. They are way better then the stock tires. No more sluggish feel. Handels really good on dry pavement and considerably well on wet roads. Reason why I bought these tires was because of how quite they are. Directional tires are nice at first but they tend to make a lot of noise once they are worn down.

I plan to switch these out next year to something with a higher compound grade. Still want to stay away from directional tires.

·
Registered
07 limited OB XT
80 Posts
Care to elaborate on the 17 vs 18 thought? Rubbing? Strength? Interchangeability?

Thanks.
Its all about sidewalls. Do you want a sluggish feel or feel everything from a crack on the road. Protecting your wheels is the investment.

Thats why I chose to stay with the same size tire for my outback. Makes my car look a little funny but its worth not damaging my $2200 wheels.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R Limited Satin White Pearl
14 Posts
My first Subaru... Moda 18x8 wheels, Pirelli P6's (for summer). Stock wheels & tires for winter.

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Silver Outback Premium 2.5 CVT
175 Posts
It looks like I'm getting wheels from Tire Rack and buying tires locally. Any thoughts on the TPMS sensors? Should I pull them off the otherwise intact old wheels or pay the $168 from Tire Rack for new ones? Can the local tire place just install them and they'll work or is there more to it?

Sorry for the dumb questions.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R Limited Satin White Pearl
14 Posts
It looks like I'm getting wheels from Tire Rack and buying tires locally. Any thoughts on the TPMS sensors? Should I pull them off the otherwise intact old wheels or pay the $168 from Tire Rack for new ones? Can the local tire place just install them and they'll work or is there more to it?

Sorry for the dumb questions.
Not a dumb question at all... I went back & forth with the TPMS question, but got them in the end. I had Tire Rack install them but didnt get them initialized after I found out that the Subaru computer cant handle more than one set at a time. The warning light doesn't bother me at all, I just dont want to pay $40 every time I swap the wheels & tires for summer & winter.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Its all about sidewalls. Do you want a sluggish feel or feel everything from a crack on the road. Protecting your wheels is the investment.

Thats why I chose to stay with the same size tire for my outback. Makes my car look a little funny but its worth not damaging my $2200 wheels.
:ucrazy: Why spend $500 a wheel and get tires that you don't like the look of? Wasn't that the point of the wheels?

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,822 Posts
sorry i took so long to respond. on why im glad i stayed with 17s; 18s are just too heavy. when buying wheels i am more concerned with a wider rim so i can have a larger contact patch. bigger wheels almost always result in a more harsh ride. oh yeah, 100% of the roads i drive one are not perfectly manicured race tracks, i encounter potholes and tons of stuff like that, the more sidewall the better. any car having wheels bigger than 17" are usually all about bling unless a bigger wheel is needed for giant brakes. i know the trend is going with larger wheels, but think of how stupid the average consumer is...

^also have to say i disagree 1000% with last post

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
Not a dumb question at all... I went back & forth with the TPMS question, but got them in the end. I had Tire Rack install them but didnt get them initialized after I found out that the Subaru computer cant handle more than one set at a time. The warning light doesn't bother me at all, I just dont want to pay $40 every time I swap the wheels & tires for summer & winter.
Orange makes TPMS sensors that you can clone off of your factory set. Here is a great thread about them:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/81-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/39671-subaru-tpms-cloning-orange-electronics-sensors.html

21 - 40 of 49 Posts