Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2004 OBW 2.5 auto
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, share pictures and locations of your favorite roads to drive on so that we can drive them too!

I'll start in Wyoming;

Medicine Bow National Forest is where I have currently been exploring. All the service roads off of Hwy 210 between Laramie and Cheyenne are legal and fun to drive on: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Happy+Jack+Road,+WY&sll=41.18408,-105.181389&sspn=0.151413,0.33165&ie=UTF8&ll=41.245805,-105.335541&spn=0.15127,0.33165&z=12

more pics:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=134332#post134332

-Kevin

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i, Auto
76 Posts
Know of a good place to find maps of the trails here? Would the fish and game department have some you think? I'd LOVE to bring the little ones to the hills for a ride and to play :20:

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5i, snorkel, skid plates, etc...
1,037 Posts
Here are a few of my favorite spots.

New London Turnpike in SW RI.

Danby Mountain Rd., Danby, VT

Cape Cod National Seashore (OHV Permit required)

·
Registered
2004 OBW 2.5 auto
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Moose05 said:
Know of a good place to find maps of the trails here? Would the fish and game department have some you think? I'd LOVE to bring the little ones to the hills for a ride and to play :20:
I can't remember if I sent you a message or not, but I got my map of the Medicine Bow/Pole mountain areas from the State Forestry building here in Laramie. I believe it was $10

·
Kiwi Moderator, ,
Long term Subaru Owner - Current Daily Drive: 2007 Lexus RX350, and E46 BMW 328i
1,142 Posts
Good thread - I will be keeping an eye on this one...... Here are some of our 'haunts" (including my own personal small collection of OB's over the years.....).

and finishing with a couple of"Old Red" - my favourite Subie ever . should have never sold him!

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback 2.5i-Auto. 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT Premium, Cypress Green
550 Posts
CaptEditor--Did you find the pyramid yet in the area you're exploring in WY? Pretty neat and unexpected.

·
Registered
2004 OBW 2.5 auto
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
number 41 said:
CaptEditor--Did you find the pyramid yet in the area you're exploring in WY? Pretty neat and unexpected.
Are you talking about the Ame's Monument?

I have not been there yet, however I have been learning a bit of history in my Wyoming History class. Apparently it was constructed in honor of the Ame's Brothers because of their work on funding the Pacific Union Railroad construction. Ironically, they were involved in a large economic scandal involving bribes in congress. :p

-Kevin

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback 2.5i-Auto. 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT Premium, Cypress Green
550 Posts
Yes. The name of the pyramid is the Ames Monument and you're correct as to its purpose. I had approached it from the west (south of Laramie) in the dirt, not knowing it was there and it appeared on the eastern horizon. What the? It was quite a surprise. It's close to I-80 and has a highway sign announcing an exit for it. Worth the time (it's only 1-2 miles south of the interstate) to see because it's so unusual.

·
Premium Member
2004 Outback Wagon, Mystic Blue Pearl
4,946 Posts
Where isn't a great place to go Out West? I would say I have probably logged 20k miles just strictly doing road trips in the West and have been through a tremendous amount of beautiful country. Here are some pictures from a few of my favorite places along the way.

Lost River Range, near MacKay, ID.

Craters of the Moon National Monument, near Arco, ID.

Basin and Range, eastern NV (along HWY 93)

Cathedral Gorge, near Caliente, NV

Lots of LONG STRAIGHT roads in NV and CA, this is near Joshua Tree

Anza Borrego, in So. Cal has some amazing hiking in the desert, plus plenty of 4 wheeling, this is on Borrego Mountain West.

Split Mountain in Anza Borrego.

The Cargo-Muchachos from Pasadena Mountain, near Yuma, AZ.

Car Camping outside of Prescott, AZ, gotta love Rubbermaid Totes.

The Grand Canyon, of course.

Monument Valley, UT is pretty awesome.

Park Avenue, Arches National Park

Red Mountain Pass, just north of Ouray, CO.

Yellowstone National Park, Grand Prismatic Spring

The Buffalo have the right of way, Yellowstone National Park

Lower Falls, Yellowstone National Park

Grand Teton and Jenny Lake, Grand Teton Nation Park.

Jewel Basin, near Bigfork, MT

Sparring Goats on Mt. Aeneas, Jewel Basin, MT

View from the top of Chinese Mountain, Quadra Island, British Columbia

·
Premium Member
2004 Outback Wagon, Mystic Blue Pearl
4,946 Posts
City of Rocks, near Burley, ID

Moonset over Telescope Peak (11,049') and Death Valley (-300') from Dante's Point

Sunset on the beach in Malibu

Big Sur, central CA coast

Huge Redwood Tree, Redwoods National Park.

Beautiful drive through the Redwoods, Jedidiah Smith Redwood State Park, near Crescent City CA

Subie in the Redwoods, Jedidiah Smith Redwood State Park

King Ridge Road, near Shelter Cove, King Range, Northern CA.

Petrolia Valley, King Range, N. CA

Cows on Mattole Beach, near between Petrolia and Ferndale CA

Yaquina Head and Lighthouse, near Beverly Beach, OR

The Columbia River, from the Astoria Column, Astoria, OR

Quinault Lake, Olympic National Park

Logs on the Beach, Olympic National Park

Victoria Harbor at night, Victoria, BC

Tofino Air Terminal, Tofino, BC

Subie on Rebecca's Spit, Quadra Island, BC

Ferry Coming into Heriot Bay, Quadra Island, BC

Car camping near Mount Rainier

·
Registered
2004 OBW 2.5 auto
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This thread is getting old, but it has some great pictures and locations! Keep them coming!

-Kevin

·
Registered
2012 OBW 3.6R Premium H6 5EAT VDC
17 Posts
Good thread - I will be keeping an eye on this one...... Here are some of our 'haunts" (including my own personal small collection of OB's over the years.....).

Ah, mate. We used to live at Hot Water Beach, Hahei. Good to see NZ. Go All Blacks!

·
Registered
'18 OB 2.5, Eyesight all black... Car is named Blackie Carbon.
17 Posts
I can guarantee I'll never drive a Subie (rental) onto the beach at Polihale State Park in Kauai.

My favorite place is home - Mesa, AZ. In the first few weeks with my '18 OB I have been to Las Cruces, NM and my wife and I have been to Las Vegas.

We talked about spending a month back in Northern Wisconsin in the Glidden area where I lived as a kid. It's too far just to get out of the heat of Arizona's August. Hawaii is easier. No Hillary, we'd be flying to the Islands.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts