Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outbacks, Grey Premium & Silver Limited
Discussion Starter #1
Open thread for any information you want to post about the specific details of your oil changes to include oil used, oil filter, analysis of anything learned, as well as questions for others based on what they post. I will start it off:

2018 Subaru Outback 2.5L Limited - 99,427 miles - 7000 mile oil change interval (OCI)

Out: Rotella Gas Truck 5w30 oil, Fram Ultra Synthetic XG7317 oil filter

In: Valvoline Synthetic Maxlife 5w20, Fram Ultra Synthetic XG7317 oil filter

Notes: Engine ran a bit off using 5w30 and went back to running buttery smooth with Valvoline synthetic 5w20. Fram Ultra filter was used for a total of 13,000 miles (two OCI) before changing, I thought about running it one more OCI but oil drained was very dark so I didn't want to push it.

Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
After finding I had only driven 800 miles since December, I changed the mower instead.
Citgo SAE30 out.
Citgo SAE30 in.

Reactions: Kevin

Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
Out: Pennzoil Euro 0w-40 and Ultra 9688 at 7k miles.

In: Belgium Castrol 0w-30 and Ultra 9688. I've got 5,200 miles on it so far on the way to 7k.

Upcoming: M1 5w-30 SN+ or STP 5w-30 SP I snagged at Autozone.

All UOAs say go at least 8k, even with severe service.

Car is very quiet on 40 oils, regardless if it's M1 or Pennzoil. Noisier on all 30s but there's no increased wear.

Infatuated with swirling oil going into the oil filter.

Discussion Starter #4
After finding I had only driven 800 miles since December, I changed the mower instead.
Citgo SAE30 out.
Citgo SAE30 in.
You have inspired me to make a bonus post!

2005 Dodge Sprinter 3500 - 168,000 miles - 10,000 mile OCI

Out: Half Valvoline 0w40, Half Mobil 1 0w40, K&N 7004 oil filter

In: Mobil 1 0w40, Mahle oil filter

Notes: K&N cartridge filter came out looking great, better than expected. Will consider buying another one.

2012 Hyundai Accent GLS - 105,000 miles - 5000 mile OCI

Out: Shell Rotella T6 5w30 Multi-Vehicle - Fram Ultra XG9688

In: Valvoline Full Synthetic Maxlife 0w20 - Fram Titanium 9688

Notes: Hyundai GDI engine saturated with carbon soot that saturated Fram Ultra with soot after two OCI of less than 9000 total miles. Is this a cautionary tale for other GDI engines? Hint hint Subaru

Registered
'94 Mazda RX-7 (27K miles)
Out 4.x quarts Peak 10w-40 (SN - must have had a big rebate...)
In 3 quarts Peak 10w-40 (EOF) and balance Citgo 10w-30 (bought for gennie)

Brucey
'17 3.6
1987 Briggs and Stratton 2 HP Tiller.

Can't do an oil analysis because the oil has never been changed.

Yes, it's still running.

Registered
1987 Briggs and Stratton 2 HP Tiller.

Can't do an oil analysis because the oil has never been changed.

Yes, it's still running.
I inherited my Dad's Sears (4hp Tecumseh) tiller. Vintage approx. 1964(?). Rebuilt the carb 2 years ago, runs like new! There are times I look back and wish my Dad could see what I really retained of what he showed me... Sad.

Reactions: Brucey

Registered
Notes: Hyundai GDI engine saturated with carbon soot that saturated Fram Ultra with soot after two OCI of less than 9000 total miles. Is this a cautionary tale for other GDI engines? Hint hint Subaru
Did you cut the filter apart? I'm curious how one determines whether or not a filter is saturated with soot?

Got pics?

Discussion Starter #9
Did you cut the filter apart? I'm curious how one determines whether or not a filter is saturated with soot?

Got pics?

This is the Fram Ultra XG9688 that came off the Hyundai after 9000 miles in usage. I will be posting pics soon of a XG7317 that came off my Outback today after 13,000 miles in usage. The biggest difference is that the Hyundai's filter media and oil was straight black with a noticable amount of carbon soot buildup along the sides of the can. The Subaru's oil and filter was a dark brown but not close to being black and there was no major particulate matter buildup on the outside of the filter media or filter can.

Registered
What's surprising to me is the amount of large black particles. In the oil that drained without the filter, were there black specks as well?

Thanks for sharing the GDI oil information. That's why I'm paranoid oil on the 2.4 gdi turbo + soot + fuel dilution.

My first oil change for the 2.4 DIT was at 1200 miles with factory fill oil and Subaru filter, in my failed attempt to install a Fumoto. Was surprised at how thin like coolant the oil seemed. It was dark in the pan, no flecks black or silver or anything. Switched to Wix 57055XP filter and AmazonBasics full-synthetic 0w-20 SN-Plus Dexos 1 gen 2. The joy of having a top mount oil filter and a special subaru funnel was a treat.

Second oil change (my most recent oil change) was just 700 miles later with a successful install of the Fumoto F108N. Yes it was completely unnecessary but I did it to just answer a question about the 90 degree valve adapter. The oil was brown, not amber, despite it being only 700 miles. Put in another new Wix 57055XP filter but this time changed viscosity to 5w-30 SN-Plus Dexos 1 gen 2. Was hoping to tame the start/stop judder but it seems the same. Engine isn't any quieter, fuel mileage is not noticeably worse, and neither are oil temps noticeably higher.

Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
Did you put in a thin 5w30 like Pennzoil or a thicker one, such as from Mobil?

Registered
Did you put in a thin 5w30 like Pennzoil or a thicker one, such as from Mobil?
amazon basics/warren distribution full synthetic oil - btw I just checked my oil level, was dead on when I changed it at 1900 odo and it's at 4,100 now, so just over 2000 miles on the oil. It's now about half an inch above full and distinctly smelling of gas. Average trips are 10 miles each way on week days, half city/highway, taking about 15 minutes.

Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
All GDI engines have this problem. You'd think the quest for engineering excellence would solve this problem.

Thicker oil and shorter intervals seems to be the only owner level answer, plus a long drive on the weekends.

Discussion Starter #14
For your viewing pleasure I cut up my second oil filter yesterday, a Fram Ultra XG7317. I left it in the clamp to drain overnight and I looks waaaay better than the XG9688 I took off my Hyundai GDI recently.

Of note I did compare the resistance of the bypass value springs and the 9688 had a noticably lighter feel despite being a 9-15 psi vs. 13 psi on the 7317. Using the skills I acquired obtaining my BS Degree in Advanced Bypass Value Engineering from BITOG University I presume to assess that the bypass valve in the 9688 saw some usage while the 7317 retained a firm feel indicating little to no usage. For some people I know it is difficult to believe that the filter media is the path of least resistance inside a spin on can oil filter unless or until media saturation occurs, especially in a Subaru when the antiquated OEM oil filter uses that dread 23.2psi bypass spec from 2009.

Registered
2019 2.5 base.
Odometer at about 5,500 km or 3,417 miles. Most [80%] done in first two months of ownership on USA road trip in summer of 2019!!

Did first oil change [Service A] at dealership; 0w-20 synthetic.

Subaru recommends 6 months/10,000 kms [whichever first] OCI but since no where near 10,000 kms decided to wait just under 1 year mark. Had gotten similar advice when asked on this forum :)

Not sure if covid related or not but after done was just handed invoice for oil change; no separate sheet listing they inspected fluid levels, etc. Cost was like $110 CAD. Maybe another dealership next time.

Dreading Service B next year [12 months/20,000 kms but will wait until 2 years as will most likely be around 10-12k kms or 6.2-7.4k miles]... around here it is about $500 CAD plus tax!!

What dealership are GTA folks [Canada] recommending?

Registered
All GDI engines have this problem. You'd think the quest for engineering excellence would solve this problem.

Thicker oil and shorter intervals seems to be the only owner level answer, plus a long drive on the weekends.
Probably just me, but GDI just doesn't sound like a real good idea.

Registered
2017 Outback Touring 2.5 Ltr
2017 OB 2.5 Touring Edition

Mobil 1 0-20W OUT
Mobil 1 0-201 IN
Wix Filter OUT
OEM IN

Used an EZ Drain valve installed from the last oil change, which was the first one I did.
Changing every 6K or slightly less.

Registered
It's great for performance relative to engine size but that's about it. Mileage is good too.
Found this video at Jalopnik. Real good primer on GDI, I learned a lot. And around the 16 minute mark, he gets into NOACK, so this is somewhat on Kevin's topic.

Registered
Wife's 2017 Forester, 24k miles.
Drove to dealer's quick service lane.
Spoke with service advisor.
Had a cup of coffee and a donut.
20 minutes later, paid and drove home.
No fuss, no muss but did have to wash powdered sugar from my fingers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts