Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 100,000+ miles
Discussion Starter #21
Found this video at Jalopnik. Real good primer on GDI, I learned a lot. And around the 16 minute mark, he gets into NOACK, so this is somewhat on Kevin's topic.
Thank you, not to let this stray too far off topic but I surmise that the great motivation for direct injection among current automakers is emissions compliance. As far as oil goes a lot of what gets engineered to not come out the tailpipe ends up in the crankcase, which is why I strongly recommend sticking to Subaru's 6000 mile oil change interval for all Subaru direct injection engines if not shortening the interval on your own terms.

Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
Thank you, not to let this stray too far off topic but I surmise that the great motivation for direct injection among current automakers is emissions compliance. As far as oil goes a lot of what gets engineered to not come out the tailpipe ends up in the crankcase, which is why I strongly recommend sticking to Subaru's 6000 mile oil change interval for all Subaru direct injection engines if not shortening the interval on your own terms.
Between oil dilution, coked up valves, and cooked injector tips it just sounds like a bad deal all around.
And don't get me started on Infiniti's variable compression, dual DI, turbo six-pot... Sorry, back to YOUR thread! :)

Registered
2016 Subaru Outback 2.5L 89,000 miles

Out: Whatever the dealer put in last time, Subaru oil filter

In: Castrol EDGE 0W-20 Advanced Full Synthetic (Walmart) WIX 57055 (RockAuto)

Are Subarus supposed to have crush or copper washers on the oil drain plug? There was not one on when I just changed the oil, previous change was done at the Subaru dealer.

Also is this little 'notch' a drain? There was a lot of debris around the filter before I changed it, and I did not think to clean out that gutter before taking the filter off. Hoping if any debris got flushed when I took the filter out it has a place to go other than into the engine.

The below pic I stole and added the arrow, mine was much dirtier

Discussion Starter #24
Between oil dilution, coked up valves, and cooked injector tips it just sounds like a bad deal all around.
And don't get me started on Infiniti's variable compression, dual DI, turbo six-pot... Sorry, back to YOUR thread! :)

The more I have been reading up on carbon soot and its proclivity to agglomerate, like say on intake valves or in a crankcase or in an oil filter, the more I believe that using an oil filter with depth media is the only meaningful solution anyone can do for a reasonable cost and effort.

Unless you want to go with a full on bypass filtration system and pay for it as well as put in the work to get it to work for you, the Fram Ultra/Titanium is the only spin on can oil filter to be using on any direct injection engine in which it is applicable.

2016 Subaru Outback 2.5L 89,000 miles

Out: Whatever the dealer put in last time, Subaru oil filter

In: Castrol EDGE 0W-20 Advanced Full Synthetic (Walmart) WIX 57055 (RockAuto)

Are Subarus supposed to have crush or copper washers on the oil drain plug? There was not one on when I just changed the oil, previous change was done at the Subaru dealer.

Also is this little 'notch' a drain? There was a lot of debris around the filter before I changed it, and I did not think to clean out that gutter before taking the filter off. Hoping if any debris got flushed when I took the filter out it has a place to go other than into the engine.

The below pic I stole and added the arrow, mine was much dirtier
View attachment 487284
Yes use a crush washer, I consider it negligent if a dealership performs an oil change without replacing the crush washer.

Also I don't know about the notch in the oil filter area but I always clean that area up after every oil filter replacement.

Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
Anything in the notched area within the filter area, would flow into the filter, so while I clean it on my wife's car, it isn't necessary to go overboard and try to suck out everything in it. - You just don't want it actually clogged, although at the pressure mos Subaru engines operate, doubt anything short of a ball bearing or pouring in some sealer/concrete could possibly clog it.

The 'filtered' oil is returned to the engine through the center, for those who didn't realize or think about it. (Probably common knowledge, but somebody unfamiliar with how an oil filter works, might not know the flow pattern).

Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
2018 2.5 48,200... went alittle over 6k on this one

out: OEM oil from dealer and blue OE filter

in: OEM oil from dealer and black Japanese subaru filter

got lazy and busy this go 'round so went to the dealer. have a fumoto i need to get installed so i can start doing my own changes.

Discussion Starter #29

Registered
2018 2.5i Premium
2018 Outback 2.5 Premium w/ 43,000 miles.

Performed my first oil change on this car and got rid of whatever oil that came from the Dealer as well as the Blue Subaru filter. I replaced it with a new Subaru filter and used Penzoil Ultimate Platinum 0w20 synthetic. Bought 5qts for $48 off of Amazon and I just wasn't happy with the price. After doing some more research, I've since signed up for a subscription of Amazon Basics 0w20 Full Synthetic 5qts for only $18 going forward.

While I'm not very experienced with working on cars, I'm making an effort to learn and work on my car myself. While money isn't the issue, I do appreciate the savings for sure. What I'm really trying to do is build some life skills that I can pass on to my 20month old daughter when she gets older. One thing I really appreciate about this vehicle is just how easy it is to change the oil.

Registered
What I'm really trying to do is build some life skills that I can pass on to my 20month old daughter when she gets older. One thing I really appreciate about this vehicle is just how easy it is to change the oil.
Awww... my goodness you should be in a Subaru commercial! Love!

Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Premium Auckland New Zealand
2018 OB 2.5 Premium. Dealer has just done 24 month service (done 21,000 km). New Subaru filter, Castrol Magnatec Pro synthetic A5 5W-30 stop/start oil. Runs quieter and smoother on stop/start. Used to do all my own changes on previous cars but getting too old - happy to wash, wax, vacuum and drive now.

Registered
2010 3.6 Limited. Recently purchased so no idea what type of oil was used or the interval. The oil that came out didn't look or smell awful. The filter was some generic I haven't seen before. While i was underneath, I spotted the oil cooler gasket has a minor leak that I will replace on the next change.
I put back in Castrol Edge 10-30 and a Wix gold 7055. I also added half a can of ceratec and about 200 ml of MOS2.
2009 FSTI is getting an oil change in the next week or two. I'm at around 3500 miles OCI. I run 4 quarts of Castrol 10-40 then top up with Liquimoly 10-60 and add 150 ml of MOS2. I run the N3r1 Mazda filter.
I wonder how necessary the bypass valve is with the 6 cylinder? I have a Canton Mecca filter I might use.

Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
When I hit the 7k interval in a couple of weeks, I'll use the last of my M1 5/30 SN+ D1G2 and an Ultra. I already have some of the new STP SP for the one after that.

Registered
20 Outback Premium
Beware of mechanics, even at Subaru dealers, who do not know the correct oil capacity for your Subaru engine. I would have thought by now a Subaru dealer would know the 2.5 in the 20 holds less oil than the 2.5 in the 19, but they didn't. I don't like giving dealers bad surveys, but with the botched oil change and bricked head unit, this one earned it.

Registered
Beware of mechanics, even at Subaru dealers, who do not know the correct oil capacity for your Subaru engine. I would have thought by now a Subaru dealer would know the 2.5 in the 20 holds less oil than the 2.5 in the 19, but they didn't. I don't like giving dealers bad surveys, but with the botched oil change and bricked head unit, this one earned it.
Yeah, had similar at Honda dealership that always overfilled [two oil changes]. Went to another dealership after that which was better.

On so far first oil change on 2019 Outback 2.5 the oil level was more or less same as what measured originally at less then 15 kms/miles, i.e. slightly above full.

Registered
2020 Outback Premium
2020 Outback 2.5 non-turbo at 3300 miles. (not driving too much with Covid)

Out: factory filter & factory oil

In:
Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20
Fram XG7317

21 - 38 of 38 Posts