Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Onyx XT in Autumn Green Metallic
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just saw this Jalopnik article and some android auto changes that are coming. It looks like (in the video they show) Android Auto should be able to easily scale to any screen size. I thought that was currently how it already works, but was wondering if this will give any hope for us OB users who hate the AA implementation:

Google's video on the update:

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
19,438 Posts
Subaru implemented full screen Android Auto in the 2023 Outback even before this next version of Android Auto drops. Unsure what changes may happen as Android Auto continues to evolve.

Android Auto is a moving target so it takes a certain amount of collaboration between car makers and Google (or Apple) to make sure that things work together. Even then, a new version of Apple Carplay or Android Auto can cause problems with certain phones, so it's a 3-way complexity - the phone, the AA/ACP, the infotainment unit.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
4,231 Posts
so it takes a certain amount of collaboration between car makers and Google
And device manufacturers such as Samsung. Right now there seems to be a bug in AA that is impacting owners of Samsung's current flagship phones, there's a patch in the works to resolve the issue if it's not out already. That may have been on aftermarket head units, but there's still some collaboration needed..

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
19,438 Posts
The latest update is that on Reddit someone claims to have been told by a dealership that full screen Android Auto is coming in a September/October update, but take that with a huge grain of salt. Rumored updates are often delayed and may not happen at all. It's considered just rumor at this point - there is no official announcement from Subaru about it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Subaru_Outback/comments/wh55vi

·
Banned
2,216 Posts
The latest update is that on Reddit someone claims to have been told by a dealership that full screen Android Auto is coming in a September/October update, but take that with a huge grain of salt. Rumored updates are often delayed and may not happen at all. It's considered just rumor at this point - there is no official announcement from Subaru about it.
"People who know aren't saying and people who are saying (Reddit) don't know."

·
Registered
19 Posts
So after I bought my 22 and did the post purchase check in with the dealer(I can not remember the official name for it) the employee that went over everything with me mentioned that the 20-22 head units would be updated to what the 23 unit would have. This was directly in reference to my question about android auto as well as a few other niggles I had like the 8 button process for heated seats. I was planning on checking with him again when I go in for my first oil change. Still have 800 miles to go lol.

·
Banned
2,216 Posts
So after I bought my 22 and did the post purchase check in with the dealer(I can not remember the official name for it) the employee that went over everything with me mentioned that the 20-22 head units would be updated to what the 23 unit would have. This was directly in reference to my question about android auto as well as a few other niggles I had like the 8 button process for heated seats. I was planning on checking with him again when I go in for my first oil change. Still have 800 miles to go lol.
The employee was probably relating what they read on Reddit. 😀

But seriously, ask them where they heard this information, from Subaru or a dealership rumor.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
19,438 Posts
Just for perspective, in January 2021 Subaru told Motor Trend that they were going to bring full screen Android Auto to our cars the same way that they did with Apple Carplay. It has yet to happen. Will it ever? This may be Subaru's intention but it hasn't happened yet, for some reason. Is it something on Google's end that needs to be done as well? Internet comments tend to blame Subaru for this, but NOBODY has a full screen portrait OEM Android Auto, and it could be that Google's the roadblock, not Subaru/Denso.

Subaru tells us it's working with Google to help support a full-screen Android Auto layout like the car's newer CarPlay display. The automaker says that before the end of January, it will offer an update for 2020 and 2021 Outbacks and Legacys that adds an engine stop/start home screen shortcut button, improved voice recognition, as well as bug fixes and performance improvements. This update can be installed via USB at the dealer; every update afterward can be done via over-the-air updates from your driveway.

Reactions: MackDaddy1962

·
Registered
19 Posts
Lol I know I thought about it. My wife and I car pool to work, and we swap between our 2 vehicles. This week was subaru week. We go to the beach in 2 weeks so I'm actually thinking about doing the next 2 in our mazda, beach week in the outback, so then 1st oil change would be when we get back lol.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
I got a 22 outback not even a month ago. I just did my follow up today. The guy said that the update for the screens to match the 23 models will be here in the next month or two. You will have to connect the car to your Wi-Fi, and keep your car running, and it will take an hour or more. The car will notify you when it's available.
That jives with the sudden desire to fix OTA updates.

For those who wish Subaru would ditch this thing, looks like the 23 Crosstrek JDM model refresh is getting it too. I’d suspect the 24 NA Crosstreks might as well.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
4,231 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
19,438 Posts
On the other hand at least their commitment to the Denso thing means we aren't left as orphans. To the extent that Subaru continues with this particular system perhaps there's hope for continued improvement.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts