Subaru Outback Forums banner

Potential hope for android auto fullscreen in Gen6?

9903 65
Hi all,

Just saw this Jalopnik article and some android auto changes that are coming. It looks like (in the video they show) Android Auto should be able to easily scale to any screen size. I thought that was currently how it already works, but was wondering if this will give any hope for us OB users who hate the AA implementation:

Google's video on the update:

Thanks!
Reactions: SilverOnyx
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Onyx XT in Autumn Green Metallic
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I got a 22 outback not even a month ago. I just did my follow up today. The guy said that the update for the screens to match the 23 models will be here in the next month or two. You will have to connect the car to your Wi-Fi, and keep your car running, and it will take an hour or more. The car will notify you when it's available.
Nothing against you, but I feel like I've been hearing the "month or two" line for a year now. Wish they could be just slightly more open with update plans and schedules. Mind you I'm not demanding that, just wish there was more transparency

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
19,438 Posts
One one level it's good that people share what they've heard from someone at Subaru but until it's in writing let's not have high expectations.

Reactions: Sprout and Baggss

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Nothing against you, but I feel like I've been hearing the "month or two" line for a year now. Wish they could be just slightly more open with update plans and schedules. Mind you I'm not demanding that, just wish there was more transparency
The one think that makes all of the seem more likely to me is the fact that they finally addressed the OTA update issue. That was the only reasonable way to make sure this update gets to the majority of Gen 6 OBs out there. Let’s just hope the OTA capability doesn’t turn into a fiasco.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
4,231 Posts
That was the only reasonable way to make sure this update gets to the majority of Gen 6 OBs out there.
Unless they push it through the Starlink connection, do you think that's true? How many people are actually connecting their car to their WiFi and doing the update check? I'm a tech guy and until a month ago (more than a year after purchase) I hadn't connected my car to my WiFi...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Unless they push it through the Starlink connection, do you think that's true? How many people are actually connecting their car to their WiFi and doing the update check? I'm a tech guy and until a month ago (more than a year after purchase) I hadn't connected my car to my WiFi...
I connected mine last week after having the car for a year 🤣. Then again it was so new, I wasn't having any head unit issues, and nothing in any of the release notes made me think I wanted to update.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
One one level it's good that people share what they've heard from someone at Subaru but until it's in writing let's not have high expectations.
True, when you start hearing it from a bunch of different people there has to be some merit to the claim. My skepticism is with the timeframe more than anything 🙂

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
I don't think its possible push it through the Starlink connection. The system requires a WiFi network and you cant create a hotspot with your Starlink service. They'd need to add the capability to do so. On top of that, if its going to take up to hour on WiFi, Starlink is only 4G cell data, so who knows how long it would take.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
4,231 Posts
I don't think its possible push it through the Starlink connection. The system requires a WiFi network and you cant create a hotspot with your Starlink service. They'd need to add the capability to do so. On top of that, if its going to take up to hour on WiFi, Starlink is only 4G cell data, so who knows how long it would take.
But that's my point - unless it COULD be done in that way I'm putting money on the majority of people not having their car connected to their WiFi and not having the automatic update selected.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
But that's my point - unless it COULD be done in that way I'm putting money on the majority of people not having their car connected to their WiFi and not having the automatic update selected.
Ah, gotcha.

If nothing else though it may make it easier for dealers to update, assuming they have a decent connection. I can see how having multiple cars pulling updates on a slow dealer connection could be a PITA for them, but they can at least tell users how to connect and do it at home. Now whether the users have a good connection and no data cap.....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Android auto release 8.3 (10/15/2022) STILL displays the small screen in my 2022 Outback.
Also, if you're referencing 8.3, I'm almost 100% positive that still does not include the 'coolwalk' update that would enable more flexible screen sizes (though I don't believe that's the reason the headunit can't display fullscreen)

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring
80 Posts
Full screen android auto won’t work until Subaru updates the head unit to support it. One of my Facebook owner usergroups seem to think that update is coming soon.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
19,438 Posts
People "say" and "hear" a lot of things. Unless there's something written, please don't get your hopes up for "soon". Yes it could drop tomorrow or some time in 2023. Possibly it won't come at all (but I hope it will). But given the potential instability caused by any change, hopefully the fact that it's being delayed, even though it's available in the 2023 already, is that they're testing it. Every year and trim has a separate firmware for whatever reason.

Subaru stated early in 2021 that they were going to roll out full screen android auto and when that was published, it seemed like it would come "soon" so temper your expectations.

If they have any hard evidence that it's coming soon, please share it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have been running the beta android auto with coolwalk, here is what I can say. Using waze it doesnt display as split screen, using maps it does, it still uses the same space as before (a small portion of the screen) all of this being said, Subaru may be waiting for google to give them something however I fail to see why Subaru could not allow a slightly larger view for android auto, for example on my 17 impreza android auto would take the whole screen regardless of what music I was listening to (cd, radio, satelite, podcast) I havent checked but if Carplay is used does it display radio controls in Carplay or just outside the display area? If so then that would make sense that Subaru would need info from Google, but Coolwalk supposedly allows for auto adjustments to screen size. Just my observations for today.

·
Registered
395 Posts
On the other hand at least their commitment to the Denso thing means we aren't left as orphans. To the extent that Subaru continues with this particular system perhaps there's hope for continued improvement.

As someone who was orphaned by GM Onstar (in a SAAB) when it went digital, and then by SAAB when it went belly up, this is a good point.

I initially complained a bit, but I have adapted to it, and being that it is what it is, AND Subaru seems to be rolling out improvements, I go with the flow. Maybe it is not for the analog and buggywhip crowd, but it was in the car front and center when you bought it. I find I no longer really notice it.

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
I have been running the beta android auto with coolwalk, here is what I can say. Using waze it doesnt display as split screen, using maps it does, it still uses the same space as before (a small portion of the screen) all of this being said, Subaru may be waiting for google to give them something however I fail to see why Subaru could not allow a slightly larger view for android auto, for example on my 17 impreza android auto would take the whole screen regardless of what music I was listening to (cd, radio, satelite, podcast) I havent checked but if Carplay is used does it display radio controls in Carplay or just outside the display area? If so then that would make sense that Subaru would need info from Google, but Coolwalk supposedly allows for auto adjustments to screen size. Just my observations for today.
Considering the fact that the 23 MY OBs have AA fullscreen, Subaru clearly has what they need. They just need to provide the update for the infotainment system for the 20-22 MYs.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Can you post a picture of what Coolwalk looks like on your screen with google maps open? I haven't downloaded the APK yet and was wondering if the UI changes have improved usability of the small screen real-estate

21 - 40 of 66 Posts