Subaru Outback Forums banner

Potential hope for android auto fullscreen in Gen6?

9899 65
Hi all,

Just saw this Jalopnik article and some android auto changes that are coming. It looks like (in the video they show) Android Auto should be able to easily scale to any screen size. I thought that was currently how it already works, but was wondering if this will give any hope for us OB users who hate the AA implementation:

Google's video on the update:

Thanks!
Reactions: SilverOnyx
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been running the beta android auto with coolwalk, here is what I can say. Using waze it doesnt display as split screen, using maps it does, it still uses the same space as before (a small portion of the screen) all of this being said, Subaru may be waiting for google to give them something however I fail to see why Subaru could not allow a slightly larger view for android auto, for example on my 17 impreza android auto would take the whole screen regardless of what music I was listening to (cd, radio, satelite, podcast) I havent checked but if Carplay is used does it display radio controls in Carplay or just outside the display area? If so then that would make sense that Subaru would need info from Google, but Coolwalk supposedly allows for auto adjustments to screen size. Just my observations for today.
I own a 2022 Subaru Outback that has the mini screen for Google Maps and Waze using android auto. Google Maps and Waze are full screen with the i phone connections. I have written many emails to Subaru and Google as many other owners have. Last week I got an update that android auto 8.4 was available for beta testers with the final release being available January 2023 with the release of the new models. They also said that Subaru had to update the center unit and that would take 1 hour at the local dealership. So I'm hanging on. The small display has become a dangerous problem when driving. The time it takes to read the small screen could result in an serious accident.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
19,438 Posts
They also said that Subaru had to update the center unit and that would take 1 hour at the local dealership.
Who said this? There is a known October 2022 update but it does not include full screen Android Auto. The update after the October update may or may not have full screen android auto. Rumors keep saying it's "coming soon" but with no verified documentation and so far every time we get someone from somewhere saying they "heard" that it's coming soon, it has not come - yet.

The 2023 Outbacks do have full screen Android Auto and we're waiting for it to be backported to earlier year head units.

·
Registered
937 Posts
The small display has become a dangerous problem when driving. The time it takes to read the small screen could result in an serious accident.
Why are you reading a screen while driving?
The danger is you.
Plenty of other people can use AA safely with much smaller screens.

·
Registered
22 Outback Onyx XT "Lord Vader"
166 Posts
I'd wager that it's Google holding up Subaru on the software, though I'm sure it's a bit of a back and forth thing.
Subaru asks for certain features, waits for Google to implement then, then has to test those features and make tweaks on their end, then send it back to Google to integrate, and it bounces back and forth as bugs are discovered and fixed, features added/removed, which needs further testing/tweaking, etc.

Seems to me that if Carplay can use Waze fullscreen on current 11.5" screens, but AA cannot, then the the hold up is on Google's end. Would seem the head unit is capable, and its' Android Auto that isn't yet. Considering how widely spread out Google is (so many fingers in so many pies), I'm sure Subaru's (and their customers) wanting AA to use more screen real estate for maps, isn't priority #1 for them. Or even priority #100.

And, anyone who knows video gaming knows the developer adage that, 'every one bug fixed, can introduce 3 more'. It's pretty much true, so that this has taken longer than they'd expected/hoped, is sadly pretty much software development in a nutshell.

That said, it still doesn't make me want it now, any less. :p

·
Registered
22 Outback Onyx XT "Lord Vader"
166 Posts
@RedDedZed Subaru HAS it sorted, on the 2023. Now to back-port it to the earlier Gen 6's...
I was referring more to the older posts, from May to August... pondering the delays... and mostly talking about the why of it as I understand it.

I know it's in the 23s, but even the porting process can be similar in that setbacks can occur causing delays. It's again, a lot like the gaming industry, to port a game to a different platform or to a previous-gen of the same platform, takes time and can see delays.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
19,438 Posts
If I'm remembering correctly, someone with Coolwalk beta AND the October 2022 update says it's not full screen so yes we need to wait for a future update from Subaru (for 2020-2022 models).

It was working full screen in the 2023 models without Coolwalk.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I use a wireless adaptor and get the larger screen area similar to carplay
View attachment 554427
from what I understand those wireless devices run a Carplay like system allowing it to display full screen, but I am no expert but I have looked at the wireless adapters. Any suggestions on specific ones or what to look for if I can find one?

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring 2.5
11 Posts
from what I understand those wireless devices run a Carplay like system allowing it to display full screen, but I am no expert but I have looked at the wireless adapters. Any suggestions on specific ones or what to look for if I can find one?
I use the Ottocast U2-X. It has a very mixed reputation, working well on some cars and not others. But it works well on my OB and previous car. Has the advantage of working with both android and ios phones.

·
Registered
2022 Onyx XT
1,317 Posts
I use a wireless adaptor and get the larger screen area similar to carplay
View attachment 554427
The adapters work by emulating CarPlay and then pushing the phone display on top of that. That's how they're able to currently do full screen.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts