Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two questions, the first is easy to answer so ill ask it first.

1) Looking at new rotors for my 05OBXT( One has a significant grove from the previous owner not removing a pebbel) the thought of slotted rotors came up. The OBXT brakes are notoriously weak and im not a fan of them. My question is: Will slotted rotors have any negative side effects, and will they improve the overall breaking performance?

2) As winter approaches, i want to replace the tires on my recently bought OBXT. Many people suggest designated snow tires but i live in seattle, the only snow the car sees is the last 30 miles every time i go skiing. I want an all season that still performs well on pavement and maybe even offroad. Price is not an object up to about $200ea. The best reviewed and my personal favorites on tire rack are the Potenza RE970AS Pole Position. But ive heard horrible things about the stock potenzas. Is there a relation between these tires, the reviews show that pole positions should be 5X better. Does anyone have any experience with them?

·
Super Moderator
12,108 Posts
1: They'll wear out pads faster. Performance gains are debatable.

2: Both tires are made by the same company. But the Pole Positions will do lousy in winter weather, they aren't really designed for it. I'd look into something like the Continental DWS for your OBXT.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1: They'll wear out pads faster. Performance gains are debatable.

2: Both tires are made by the same company. But the Pole Positions will do lousy in winter weather, they aren't really designed for it. I'd look into something like the Continental DWS for your OBXT.
To anyone reading this: Have you tried slotted rotors with otherwise stock or near stock braking systems and could you feel a difference?

What is the difference that will make conti DWS better? Because the DWS seems to have a less blocky tread which i assume will accumulate snow more easily. And the reason i like the pole positions is they have a similar design to the Micheling Pilot Exaltos which i had on my impreza and loved. And simply it was rated the highest, but after doing more research, proffessionals at Tire rack say the DWs is better on snow. Which is better on mild offroad?

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
My sister has the DWS on her '98 Legacy GT. The tread feels a little softer to me than the tread of a normal all-season and it is definitely aggressive, but I guess that's all relative and not very "scientific". The previous owner says they did fantastic in the snow, but I'm skeptical of any all season doing that great. We'll find out this winter!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
jp1203
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing