Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with powder coating stock rims? I did a search but the posts were very old.

Around me prices are roughly $120 per rim.

Provided you don't hit something does the powder coating last?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah I had the wheels on my 2010 outback powdercoated. I initially paid 110 or 120 per wheel. It was a pain. The color I picked vs the final color was worlds apart. I had to have them redone. The wheel and the centercap are different metals so they will never match. Just put your money in a new set of wheels.
I only owned the car for about 4 months after I had it done and they still looked like new. They held up well in that short of a period of time.

If I have not persuaded you away yet, and you go through with it wait 48hrs to mount tires.

·
Registered
10 Posts
A friend of mine did his charger wheels black. They turned out nice, and are holding up well. I went with after market rims and tired though, it is nice having a spare set sitting around ya know. Tirerack.com has some kick ass deals.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellas. I always understood the aftermarket rims never never fit the hubs on the stock axels properly so that is why I leaned towards powder coating plus I like the look of my current rims.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Power coating if your wheels are not damaged meaning needing body filler is a good choice. You cannot use body puddy on these and the finish if done properly is pretty tuff.
It is all prep and the shop doing this has to do it right or it will not stick well and be durable.
I would ask what kind of warranty they provide as well.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Thanks fellas. I always understood the aftermarket rims never never fit the hubs on the stock axles properly so that is why I leaned towards powder coating plus I like the look of my current rims.
Hubcentric rings are needed most of the time with aftermarket wheels to fit properly. Cars have various sized hub bores so the aftermarket wheel companies make their wheels with large hub bores so that different sized adapter rings can be used for proper fitment. A set of 4 is like $10.

So don't be put off by aftermarket if that's you're only reason.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I would NEVER spend $120/wheel for powder coating on stock wheels. You can guy some good aftermarket wheels for just a little bit more. They will fit fine, you just need a good vendor to hook you up.

Just go with some plastidip if you want a different look! $6/wheel!

·
Registered
181 Posts
$480 to powdercoat your stock wheels? Hellz no. That's too much money.

I would just get a set of new wheels for a little more. The stock wheels are in the 23 lbs. range. Pretty much any aftermarket wheel will be lighter and you don't have to go through the hassle.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$480 to powdercoat your stock wheels? Hellz no. That's too much money.

I would just get a set of new wheels for a little more. The stock wheels are in the 23 lbs. range. Pretty much any aftermarket wheel will be lighter and you don't have to go through the hassle.
Finally realized this little nugget as well. Decided on some Drag33's installed by the dealer for the same price at TR. I'll post some picks when it's done.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Finally realized this little nugget as well. Decided on some Drag33's installed by the dealer for the same price at TR. I'll post some picks when it's done.
****. came to tell you that Discount Tires Direct has a $100 rebate on their ebay store for 4 wheels or 4 tires.

just ordered a set of konig wheels to mount my winter tires on. $96 each with free shipping (and no tax). not bad at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Powder Coated Wheels

Just got the stock 17" wheels of my 2015 Outback powder coated matte black. They came out great. How do I share a picture?

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Just got the stock 17" wheels of my 2015 Outback powder coated matte black. They came out great. How do I share a picture?
...when you post...just scroll down a little to manage attachments...find your pic...attach it and post...just remember must be smaller than 1MB

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
11 Participants
scoobydoo2
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing