Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2004 Outback Wagon 4 cylinder automatic. The car is in exceptionally great condition and has only 84k on it. Will I cause any problems in the future if I install a Impreza Wrx Chip. This chip is advertized to increase mpg and hp. I am very careful before I add any 3rd party equipment. What is your opion?

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,323 Posts
It's junk, they don't work. Please don't waste your money.

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
19' Impreza Sport 5 dr / 01' Forester S / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5
1,213 Posts
Like he said, they don't work, it's just snake oil. The only way to do it properly is to have the ECU tuned. That needs to be done by someone that knows what they are doing. Mostly people reserve that for the turbo charged motors.

You'd be better served by giving your a car a tune up and maybe do the seafoam treatment. For the most part modern motors are to be pretty efficient from the factory.

·
Registered
'18 3.6R Ltd
731 Posts
It's a good indication of the snake-oil-ness of vendors when they don't know how a particular car works. Subarus don't need "chips" (like VWs and Audis, to name a couple) do. Subarus need computer programming. And, as I know from experience, this computer programming (that's the ECU tuning that Peaty mentioned) works great.

Don't get sucked in by these rip-off scumballs. HPH

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,477 Posts
Like he said, they don't work, it's just snake oil. The only way to do it properly is to have the ECU tuned. That needs to be done by someone that knows what they are doing. Mostly people reserve that for the turbo charged motors.

You'd be better served by giving your a car a tune up and maybe do the seafoam treatment. For the most part modern motors are to be pretty efficient from the factory.
Dito and what DrCloud said. The plugins do nothing.

There are hundreds of tuners out there that can either rewrite the ECM in person or via the internet. Ed at Xtreme Racing Tuning is Subaru specific and rewrote my maps on the VDC. Plus he's good people.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,971 Posts
...And nobody notices the mention of a WRX chip - turbocharged engine - in a 2004 Outback with a naturally aspirated engine? All kinds of wrong that, eh?

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
19' Impreza Sport 5 dr / 01' Forester S / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5
1,213 Posts
My understanding of these chips is that it tricks the ECU into thinkin IAT and or coolant the temps are different than actual. This makes it so the ECU changes the fuel delivery. Dangerous if you ask me. I could be wrong it's been a while since I thought about it. I've seen them advertised for both turbo and NA motors. I'd consider this more of a piggyback type of system.

The confusion for some people I think, comes from the fact some cars have a removable EPROM chip in the ECU you can swap out. VW's, Fords etc. have chips you can buy that really do work. Subaru ECU's OTOH don't have this type of system. Someone needs to hook up to the car and program it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all for the information. I think I will just put a big hold on that direction of improvement. :D

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
1,213 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts