Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Carbide Grey 2.5 Limited Outback with Eyesight. Add-on: Geolandar GO15's on 17" WRX rims, Ecohitch
300 Posts
Mine started doing that too about a month ago. I was going to have them look at it when I brought it in for first oil change.

**Edited to add that I'm due for that oil change sometime by the end of this month. I'll report back when I get it fixed.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
4,845 Posts
When raising the hatch, the gear mechanism makes a thump, thump, thump noise. It does not make this noise on the way down.

Does anyone else have this? I'm usually someone who doesn't care about this kind of stuff, but it's embarrassingly loud.
Yep, mine started that on it's first camping trip last summer - frequent open/close cycles. It is pretty loud. I'd recommend getting it looking at sooner rather than later. Just the other day, mine started stopping after opening only 12 inches or so. Now I have to lift it up manually every time, which is a PITA (in addition to embarrassing).

I've never liked this lift gate (way too slow) and always assumed it would give me problems down the road. The only reason I'd ever want this feature is if I could trigger it with my foot; it's pointless otherwise. I'll be taking it in soon for repair, but I'd almost rather remove the motor and install the standard, manual opening gas struts and never worry about it again.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yep, mine started that on it's first camping trip last summer - frequent open/close cycles. It is pretty loud. I'd recommend getting it looking at sooner rather than later. Just the other day, mine started stopping after opening only 12 inches or so. Now I have to lift it up manually every time, which is a PITA (in addition to embarrassing).

I've never liked this lift gate (way too slow) and always assumed it would give me problems down the road. The only reason I'd ever want this feature is if I could trigger it with my foot; it's pointless otherwise. I'll be taking it in soon for repair, but I'd almost rather remove the motor and install the standard, manual opening gas struts and never worry about it again.

im with you on this. wish I could have gotten manual......

·
Registered
2015 Carbide Gray 3.6R
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would gone without the power gate if I could have, and said as much on here before I ordered the car. Oh well, I'll call tomorrow to set up an appointment and report back when something happens.

·
Premium Member
Twilight Blue 2015 3.6R with Eyesight
5,045 Posts
Since new mine has made the odd thumping noises while opening, as well as right after closing. That's the sound of the latches engaging and disengaging. If it's not that then I'd take it in. I have to say I love my power lift gate. It opens just fast enough, and closes fast enough as well. If you wanted the foot thing Y'all should have got a Ford Escape. Then you'd have the foot thing, and 100 other problems, brought to you exclusively form Ford...

·
Registered
2015 Carbide Gray 3.6R
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since new mine has made the odd thumping noises while opening, as well as right after closing. That's the sound of the latches engaging and disengaging.
Nope, this isn't the latch, it's coming from the lift motor on the left side, making a thumping or popping noise as the door raises up.

·
Premium Member
2008 Subaru Tribeca
945 Posts
I just had one at work doing that, replaced the motor and noise went away.
Sounded like an internal failure.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
4,845 Posts
...If you wanted the foot thing Y'all should have got a Ford Escape. Then you'd have the foot thing, and 100 other problems, brought to you exclusively form Ford...
Ehhhh, or how about a Land Rover, BMW, VW, Nissan....

No thanks, I'd rather Subaru get with the times and add this feature. Otherwise, it's of practically no use to able-bodied people.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited w/eyesight
64 Posts
My OB must've heard you guys talking! Today, I hit my power rear gate, and it opened very slowly. I thought I had left my dashcam on for several days and ran the battery down. Nope, started right up. So I don't know WTH is going on. Hasn't done that again......yet.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Premium
377 Posts
We've had our OB for just over a year. It started making this noise last week. We are taking it in for service in January and have appt for this noise also. Will be watching this thread for possible solutions. Thanks sirtef9 for your comment.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Premium
92 Posts
Mine occasionally makes a screeching noise going up or down. It doesn't do it every time, but it has occurred about 10 times since July. I may be wrong about this, but it seems to do it when I have the cargo area packed, but the hatch never makes contact with the objects back there. Weird.

G

·
... but I'd almost rather remove the motor and install the standard, manual opening gas struts and never worry about it again.
I was initially of this same mindset. I removed the lift arm connecting the motor and gate and went manual for a while. I came to realize that the auto open/ close feature was actually a useful feature (at least for me). Even though it's slow and quirky, it's better than doing it by hand every time.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
4,845 Posts
I was initially of this same mindset. I removed the lift arm connecting the motor and gate and went manual for a while. I came to realize that the auto open/ close feature was actually a useful feature (at least for me). Even though it's slow and quirky, it's better than doing it by hand every time.
Hmm, I don't know, I can't seem to find any utility in it. My old Impreza OB was manually opened and came up super easy and quick. Just get it started and it does the rest of the work. Not a single problem in 9 years of ownership.

Not sure if this is what you did, but I came across a thread a while back where someone said they actually purchased the (presumably stronger) gas struts for the base model OB in addition to disconnecting the motor. The struts were definitely a different part number, and I thought they spoke positively of that arrangement.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R
178 Posts
Mine occasionally makes a screeching noise going up or down. It doesn't do it every time, but it has occurred about 10 times since July. I may be wrong about this, but it seems to do it when I have the cargo area packed, but the hatch never makes contact with the objects back there. Weird.
This happened twice to me with it going down during warm weather and after having left the lift gate up for at least a couple of hours.

I chalk it up to dry Colorado air and sunlight evaporating some kind of surface lubricant, but I'm no engineer or mechanic.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,814 Posts
Does this knocking sound like a gear jumping? Maybe binding in the drive or door alignment is causing the motor pinion to jump.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
4,845 Posts
@DougNuts
The verdict was a faulty tail gate mechanism and a new one was ordered. This, despite the fact that I had apparently inadvertently activated the memory height function, which was the only thing preventing the tailgate from opening fully. Oops. I knew that was a possibility, but was too lazy to look into it.
Anyway, clearly this knocking noise is not normal.

·
Registered
2015 Carbide Gray 3.6R
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@DougNuts
The verdict was a faulty tail gate mechanism and a new one was ordered. This, despite the fact that I had apparently inadvertently activated the memory height function, which was the only thing preventing the tailgate from opening fully. Oops. I knew that was a possibility, but was too lazy to look into it.
Anyway, clearly this knocking noise is not normal.
Good to know. I haven't had a chance to call the dealer yet. I will try to get a video of the noise today so everyone knows what we are talking about.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts