Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The power lift gate on my 2016 outback has twice opened on its own. The first time it was parked in the garage and we didnt see it until hours later and by then the battery was completely dead. The second time it was in our office parking lot so luckily we noticed fairly quickly. Has anyone else had this happen?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Has never happened to me and I don't recall seeing any mention of it. Is this happening when you're closing it? Some people go to close it, walk away and then the gate hits something and goes back up as it's supposed to. If you're just parking and it's doing it, then it sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Never has happened to me.

At home, my key fob resides in a bowl about 30 feet away from the garage.

At work, I'm underground about 3 blocks away from the vehicle. Any accidental key press while in my pocket at work isn't within range.

·
Registered
599 Posts
The power lift gate on my 2016 outback has twice opened on its own. The first time it was parked in the garage and we didnt see it until hours later and by then the battery was completely dead. The second time it was in our office parking lot so luckily we noticed fairly quickly. Has anyone else had this happen?
There are "pinch" safety strips on both sides of the door. Perhaps they're malfunctioning, or something is getting caught in there.

As others have mentioned, I don't recall anyone ever posting this problem. Weird.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Had it happen to me once, and today I managed to set off the "emergency alarm". In both cases i was getting into my wife's Legacy parked next to my Outback. So I had the keys to her car in my hand and the keys to mine were in my pocket rather than in my hand. When I sat down something (change, pocket Knife) pushed the button on my key fob.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Do you keep your key fob in a back pocket? I keep mine in the rear-left. One day I was at home sitting upstairs and petting my dog and felt the fob click against my butt cheek. I thought nothing of it because my old '04 Corolla wouldn't have done anything. My parents came home about 30 mins later and told me my car on the driveway had it's trunk open.

This actually helped me a lot. I hadn't been able to open my hatch via fob. Wasn't holding the button down long enough and was only getting the responsive beeps.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Your OB needs exorcism..... Amen!

My neighbour's Acura MDX had his liftgate twice left open overnight and once I helped to closed it not realising a cat has went in to explore and got trapped. He later told me it was his toddler playing with the key fob and the 2nd could be accidental trigger to the key fob while carrying stuff.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had it happen 3 times with our '15 Outback, twice in the driveway at home and once parked on the street while visiting family during the holidays. The third time, just last month, opportunistic thieves got in and stole about $1000 worth of tools, winter coats, and other items. I carry the key in my front pants pocket, and it *may be* that other items in the pocket are accidentally triggering the liftgate switch -- *but* the switch has to be held down for several seconds before the gate will open. I dunno.

·
Registered
588 Posts
My Power lift gate has inadvertently gone up only when there was something obstructing it at the bottom of the cargo area. When the lift gate struck the obstruction, it automatically went back up. I simply removed the obstruction and the lift gate then closed normally.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had it happened twice when I first bought the car. It but the garage door so had a bunch of paint scratches before my first tank. Guess the keys some how was pushed in pocket. I know put keys on hook once I get into the house.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hasn't happened to mine yet.
But 1 question -how the heck do you get it to open from the drivers seat??? I've tried pressing the button (by your left knee area) and it just beeps twice at me... I've tried putting the parking break on and nothing -what am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
But 1 question -how the heck do you get it to open from the drivers seat??? I've tried pressing the button (by your left knee area) and it just beeps twice at me... I've tried putting the parking break on and nothing -what am I doing wrong?
It needs to be in Park; not sure if parking brake is sufficient, but don't think it is - it's certainly not necessary if you're in Park.

Doors unlocked? Try hitting the unlock button before using the button.

Last resort, ask the dealer. Something may be wrong.

·
Registered
599 Posts
From my '16 manual, but should be sufficient.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
It needs to be in Park; not sure if parking brake is sufficient, but don't think it is - it's certainly not necessary if you're in Park.

Doors unlocked? Try hitting the unlock button before using the button.

Last resort, ask the dealer. Something may be wrong.
yea, I tried in Park and with brake on and off....hmmm...not sure about the locks tho... but think I had the drivers side door open... will play with it tomorrow!

·
Registered
453 Posts
The power lift gate on my 2016 outback has twice opened on its own. The first time it was parked in the garage and we didnt see it until hours later and by then the battery was completely dead. The second time it was in our office parking lot so luckily we noticed fairly quickly.
It was Russian hackers. I'm positive it was Russian hackers.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Mine was open yesterday while parked in my garage. I am fairly sure I left it open overnight. Had to jump the car to start it.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts