Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R w/ES
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 2015 3.6r Outback, and for the life of me I can't find the power steering fluid reservoir. The steering seems to be getting harder, but the warning light has not come on yet. So I wanted to check the level and cannot find any mention of it in the manual, and all I can find online refers to the previous ten 3.6r
thanks!

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,294 Posts
This question comes up frequently. I am not sure about your 2015 3.6 but most newer vehicles have ELECTRIC power steering. There is no reservoir nor pump. The battery drives an electric motor on the steering-rack.

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback 2.5, Brown
1 Posts
I've got a 2019 Outback and this question has been on my mind for a year! Just registered for this forum and am so glad to find this answer. Thanks brucep.

·
Registered
19 Outback 2.5i Premium
210 Posts
However, if you search around you can likely find a mechanic who will charge you to flush and replace the power steering fluid system ;)
But don't forget, you STILL need blinker fluid on new cars. :sneaky:

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,358 Posts
However, if you search around you can likely find a mechanic who will charge you to flush and replace the power steering fluid system ;)
Would that be the same mechanic who throws in the "chassis lube" for free with an oil change - but charges a premium if it's a 4WD pickup?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2017 Subaru outback 3.6T and was wondering the same thing. Now that I know that it is electric, that explains why I can’t find the reservoir! However, this doesn’t address the question of noticeably tighter more difficult steering. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
301 Posts
Stiff electric steering means you need to add juice to the ps motor. :D
OK, kidding aside, all stiff steering complaint investigations must start with tire pressure checks.
All complaints should reveal when it is a problem...
  • minor course corrections as you travel in a straight line
  • changing lanes
  • steering around a corner or when parking
  • only when outside temp is cold
  • only on Tuesdays
  • all of the above, etc.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,263 Posts
Likely normal. My 2015 3.6R has relatively tight steering compared with loaners I've had in recent years (Ascent and Crosstrek).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks. Tire pressures are fine. Maybe it is because the weather is a little colder. My wife’s 2020 ascent has a much different feel. We just got it, and maybe it is just the difference that I’m noticing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts