Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 3.0 outback hose from reservoir to pump is hard as a rock. I'm sure it's sucking air. I have a leak yet to have a chance in the bad weather to locate it. My question is can i use a piece of the correct size non-formed hose from the reservoir to pump or will it kink up too much? If i can't use non-formed, where can i buy a formed hose for a decent price? What i have found is around $49.00. That seems high to me. The high pressure lines i have found are less than that, around $35. I drive this thing alot and the leak is driving me crazy. No i dont and wont go to some shop and get it done. I'm way too poor and cheap to do that. If i had a decent garage i would have already fixed it. I have to crawl around on the mud/gravel to do all my fixes. Any advice i appreciate. Thank you. Flocker

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,434 Posts
I use 5/8" Fuel line rated hose. Been working great for years. It needs to be short enough to clear the engine cover.

You cannot use coolant hose, it will swell in the presence of oils.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,816 Posts
did you already try replacing the o-ring on the adapter on top of the pump?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes thank you. I intend on replacing the o ring under there. I imagine it's hard as heck. Does it take 1 or 2 o rings? I guess i'll get that from my local dealer. I found my leak when i got home from work tonight. I see the double pressure line has a large build up of crud, from it leaking quite some time. Leaking where the rubber meets metal. I found that hose for a good price. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,434 Posts
When you disconnect the pressure line from the rack there is a small oring on the inlet side of the steering rack. I am not sure of the size. I have a set of Air Conditioning orings and I find the best match. The oring is black and will be difficult to see.

You can disconnect the pressure line from the rack from above by removing the air intake or from under the car. I find working from under the car is a bit easier.

Make sure not to cross thread anything when hooking the lines back up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts