Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my 2005 subaru outback one day and I lost steering all together then it would come back. Took it down to a garage they looked it all over and said there is nothing wrong with it. Power steering levels good. Belt good and pump all good. So I take it home drove fine for a while now I lose power steering randomly no matter how fast I'm going or how much gas I'm giving it. It just comes and goes. In confused. Rack and pinion?

·
Registered
2000 & 2002 Outback Wagon EJ251/Auto + 2004 Outback LL Bean EZ30/Auto + 1996 Legacy Outback Wagon EJ22/5sp + 2008 Outback Wagon EJ253/Auto + 2004 Legacy Sedan 35th Anniv. EJ251/Auto (not OB) + 2005 O
149 Posts
It may be the crank pulley separating. Or not.....
The outer part where the belt rides can sometimes separate from the center part that is bolted to the front end of the crank. If it slips, everything that is belt driven can stop functioning properly.

·
Registered
Gen 2: 2002 Subaru Outback 2.5L Wagon
16 Posts
I was driving my 2005 subaru outback one day and I lost steering all together then it would come back. Took it down to a garage they looked it all over and said there is nothing wrong with it. Power steering levels good. Belt good and pump all good. So I take it home drove fine for a while now I lose power steering randomly no matter how fast I'm going or how much gas I'm giving it. It just comes and goes. In confused. Rack and pinion?
I just had this issue, my belt was simply just lose from it being so cold was my guess. Try snugging up the belt before you throw a bunch of money into it.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
Check that there are no bubbles in the PS (Actually ATF) fluid. That would indicate bad pump seals or a leak in a line. Those are usually followed by a whining sound though, but might lead to your symptoms.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts