Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Silver 06' Outback wagon 2.5 AT
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My power steering pump is going out. it's leaking fluid and sounds like a rock polisher when running. I haven't replaced one before. Are there any special tools needed or things I should know before I do it?

Any tips are appreciated

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd Obsidian Black 5MT
1,080 Posts
It's pretty straight forward. The high pressure side has a double washer that goes on it, but should be reusable. The low pressure is just a regular hose clamp. It looks like it might be a pain to get the mount off the pump if you're not careful.

Make sure you use ATF, not power steering fluid. Also follow the refill proceedure. I've attached the relevant portion from the service manual. It's from my '05 manual, but I don't believe there were any changes for '06.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,419 Posts
consider a low-miles used one from a wreck

car-part.com or LKQ

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just replaced the one in my 2008 Outback, I guess the inside seals have failed because I had almost no power steering, bad groaning while driving, loud howls in the mornings, I had already replaced the o-ring twice. It took maybe a couple of hours because I was cleaning all the mess the leaks at the back of the pump did. Got a genuine Subaru pump from ebay for about 300 bucks, also got a new suction hose because it was hard as a rock for another 40.

PXL_20210313_194426111.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
1,287 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Consider rebuilding yours. There are only about 5 or 6 seals in the entire thing and plenty of videos online on how to do it. The front shaft seal seems to be the one that most commonly leaks. I believe you can pick up a rebuild kit for about $20. The other option is pick one up from the junkyard, and it'll probably last you a while, but the seals in those are going to be the same age as yours. I wouldn't buy new...too much money, especially given how easy these things are to rebuild. Just my $.02.

Reactions: enduranceracing
1 - 8 of 8 Posts