Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Outback 4-Cylinder 5-speed
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, hello everyone. I'm new here. I have a 2004 Subaru Outback 5-speed that I absolutely love.

I took it to the mechanic the other day. I popped the hood and the alternator belt had shredded. He replaced the alternator (which I replaced myself 5 years ago). He said that alternators typically last 3.5 years which seemed strange as I hadn't had to replace it from 2003-2012.

When I was backing up and leaving, there was a loud noise happening any time I turned the wheel. I went back and he came out to hear. He said, "Oh yeah, I heard that when I was working on it but I checked your fluid levels and the belt is fine.". I told him that it didn't ever make this sound before I brought it in. He repeated the same thing.

Should I be concerned about this? Other suby owners ever have power steering issues?

·
Registered
4, Gen 2 H6's: 2001 LLBean, 2002 LLBean, 2002 VDC, 2003 Plain...I love the H6's!
298 Posts
One of my 2002 H6's had an o-ring crack in the power steering hose at the inlet to the pump, which caused cavitation and resulted in a constant, loud whine from the PS pump. No other PS problems for me. Hopefully, someone else can chime in with an experience related to your subaru.

·
Registered
1994 Subaru SVX LSI, 2000 Subaru Outback Limited, 2004 Volvo S60R, 2015 Lexus RX350 (Wife's)
193 Posts
First of all, hello everyone. I'm new here. I have a 2004 Subaru Outback 5-speed that I absolutely love.

I took it to the mechanic the other day. I popped the hood and the alternator belt had shredded. He replaced the alternator (which I replaced myself 5 years ago). He said that alternators typically last 3.5 years which seemed strange as I hadn't had to replace it from 2003-2012.

When I was backing up and leaving, there was a loud noise happening any time I turned the wheel. I went back and he came out to hear. He said, "Oh yeah, I heard that when I was working on it but I checked your fluid levels and the belt is fine.". I told him that it didn't ever make this sound before I brought it in. He repeated the same thing.

Should I be concerned about this? Other suby owners ever have power steering issues?
I had the same thing happen on my power steering pump making noise. I originally thought it might be simple as a O-ring being old and letting air in the system, a quick & cost effective way to try to fix the noise problem. Unfortunately, in my case, the noise persisted. I could not stand it, I bought a re manufactured power steering pump from Autozone with my Autozone reward points. There are 3 bolts that hold the power steering pump bracket. The bolt holding the power steering pump to the bracket could be rusted and be very difficult to loosen. Lucky for me, I knew a mechanic & lent me a Snap-On box end wrench that does not have a angle, but completely straight. The straight box end wrench gave me leverage to loosen the bolt that holds the power steering pump from the bracket. I loosened the bolt that holds the powering steering pump to the bracket while the powering steering pump bracket was still secured to the engine. Here is a video, I watched on Youtube to get an idea on how to replace the power steering pump. I don't know why this guy took off the upper radiator hose, totally unnecessary. Here is the video:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts