Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i Limited/CDF
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife shut off her 2012 Outback for 5 min yesterday to pay a bill. When she got back in to go the power steering quit totally. She was able to muscle it home. We have never had any power steering issues before this. I got home from work later, started it and it seemed fine. I drove around the neighborhood and then shut it off for 5 min and again it quit?? No leaks, fluid looks good. Went back out and hour later and again it worked. Do those power steering pumps fail like that?

·
Registered
1996,Outback,2.5,auto
34 Posts
I recently had power steering problems similar to yours in 2009 Outback. Turned out to be a worn and dried out power steering belt. It was slipping on the pulley. Easy fix in my case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recently had power steering problems similar to yours in 2009 Outback. Turned out to be a worn and dried out power steering belt. It was slipping on the pulley. Easy fix in my case.

Belt doesn't slip. Power steering worked if the car was parked for a few hours. When it wouldn't work this afternoon I tried pouring cold water on the pump but it didn't help. The pump makes no noise when you're tugging on the steering wheel.

Thanks

·
Registered
2019 Outback Wagon 2.5i limited
284 Posts
Belt doesn't slip. Power steering worked if the car was parked for a few hours. When it wouldn't work this afternoon I tried pouring cold water on the pump but it didn't help. The pump makes no noise when you're tugging on the steering wheel.

Thanks
Is the fluid level okay? It may be getting air bubbles in it if it’s sucking air from a worn seal. I would think it would be making noise though.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,621 Posts
how old IS the belt?

any cracks or glazing on it?

seems like latent heat in the engine compartment is causing the problem but......?

I haven't read of a problem with these symptoms as presented .......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This morning on first start there was no power steering. After changing the O-ring on the pump inlet and getting the air out there was still no power steerng. I ordered a pump. What is the sensor for? Fluid pressure? Not seeing any indication??

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,621 Posts
when it fails, is there any sound?

has the system lost any fluid? and drips?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the Power Steering back yesterday. I bought a reconditioned power steering pump and that solved the problem. There were no indications of this pump starting to fail and that's what confused me. Those last gasps had me thinking it may be something else.
NOTE: I wish I would have looked over the replacement pump better. The pump pulley was dinged up and loaded with paint. I couldn't get the pulley to pull off my pump so I spent an hour scraping, filing and sanding so it didn't chew up my belt. What holds those pulleys on? I couldn't see anything.

Thanks again for all your input.

·
Registered
2012 STI, 2007 Impreza RS
131 Posts
This morning on first start there was no power steering. After changing the O-ring on the pump inlet and getting the air out there was still no power steerng. I ordered a pump. What is the sensor for? Fluid pressure? Not seeing any indication??
The sensor on the pump is to sense when you are using the ps at idle, when you move the wheel, the pressure drops and that sensor triggers the ecu to increase the engine idle.
Whenever you move the steering wheel at idle, the engine rpm will bump up.

·
Registered
2012 STI, 2007 Impreza RS
131 Posts
Also, I have seen where belts will slip but not make a noise. I had a car that when you loaded up the electrical, all the sudden it would lose power, lights would go dim ect..
After trying all kids of things I finally diagnosed the belt was glazed and would start slipping, not making a sound.
I just happened to notice the belt was going so slow I could read the print on the belt as it went by but the engine was turning over fast LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts