Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got 2003 outback,4 cyl,power steering very hard @slow&idle. does it need new pump?

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,333 Posts
Make sure the small, 1-wire sensor is connected near the back of the pump. It's a pressure sensor that tells the engine to idle-up to make steering easier.

Otherwise, check your fluid level, condition, and for any leaks. Past that I'd look into a stiff steering system (u-joints, bound rack, bound upper strut mounts, etc).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Make sure the small, 1-wire sensor is connected near the back of the pump. It's a pressure sensor that tells the engine to idle-up to make steering easier.

Otherwise, check your fluid level, condition, and for any leaks. Past that I'd look into a stiff steering system (u-joints, bound rack, bound upper strut mounts, etc).
thanks

ive got 2003 outback,4 cyl,power steering very hard @slow&idle. does it need new pump?
thanks

·
Registered
2001 2.5 RS & 2000 OB
140 Posts
The o-rings on the supply port can start to fail and allow air into the pump. You might only notice the issue at idle. There are plenty of threads on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts