Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 Outback Limited 2.5i; 2015 Impreza Sport
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Outback Limited. When I try to close the passenger side window by lifting the power switch, it goes all the way up then bounces back to halfway shut (or open - take your pick). It won't move up again until I move it down after which i can incrementally move it up until it closes. I could use some advice on what's going on and how to fix this. It's no fun when you're flying down the freeway and the window won't close.

·
Premium Member
2015 Outback Limited 2.5i; 2015 Impreza Sport
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've done the reset process before (just did it again) - no change. It seems like the glass and the track are not exactly aligned and rather than slide over the rubber and into the track, it reverses as if hitting an obstruction. When I close the window incrementally, rather than on auto, it slips right into the track.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited. 2.5L Green. Previous 2019, 2015 Outback and 2002 Forester
138 Posts
I have the EXACT problem. The reset procedure doesn't fix it. Was doing it while under warranty and dealer demonstrated the reset and it worked for some time. Now that reset doesn't do the trick. At least I can sneak it up as you do.

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
602 Posts
Try spraying some silicone spray lube in to the felt/rubber track where the window edge rides. You can also take an old toothbrush and clean out any dirt or stuff that has accumulated in that area.

Part of what the window motor circuit does is to look for excessive current draw while the window is closing. If the current is too high then the sensing circuit thinks that something might be blocking the window opening (like your head or your hand). The motor will stop and reverse direction to keep from pinching a body part.

Dirt or grime in the window track can cause friction and the system will think that there is an obstruction.

If you have a genuine misalignment then the spray lube in the track will not fix it. But if it is just a bit of drag on the edges the problem will go away.

Reactions: 2012 2.5premium cvt

·
Registered
05 Outback, 15 WRX
46 Posts
Try pushing up on the rubber trim where the glass touches. When mine stuck out too far the window did the same thing.

·
Premium Member
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,792 Posts
Also, have someone grip the window on both sides ( palms flat against the glass) and pull upwards while you push the switch. If it is a current oversense from excess drag, this should relieve that drag, and the window will raise all the way, verifying that you have a drag problem (or a bad motor that is drawing excess current).

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R
4 Posts
Under warranty, the dealer fixed the same problem for me by cleaning and lubing the track. If it comes back, and it hasn't for at least 6 months, then I can still get them to take care of it. Although it's getting to the point now they're likely to say it's been too long to be considered the same problem.

Reactions: wickets

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R, Tungsten Metallic, Black Rhino Boxers, BF Goodrich KO'2,Chrome tips, yellow lamin-x fog light film.
109 Posts
I have the same issue popping its head up again, 3rd time on a 2015.
First time they did a reset and it worked for a while. Second time he said ti was dirt in the track and they cleaned it.
Started happening to me again 2 days ago. Will give the track a clean on the weekend.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,523 Posts
Apply Rainex to side window (from both sides). Rainex makes window super smooth and therefore it can glide much easier. Using lubricants probably attracts the dirt over the time which affects free sliding...Also, when you clean side windows use only Invisible Glass product!
Actually this feature is by design as a safety issue to that people don't get injured by automatic windows.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As a woman driving around sometime I need to quickly close the passenger window for security reasons. it’s a security issue to have the window keep bouncing open as if welcoming someone to enter!! Is there any way to disable this function? PLEASE ADVISE!!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
As a woman driving around sometime I need to quickly close the passenger window for security reasons. it’s a security issue to have the window keep bouncing open as if welcoming someone to enter!! Is there any way to disable this function? PLEASE ADVISE!!

@Brucey,

damsel in distress. could you use your search function and find the reset the window function,...

I would, but don't have a gen5 to know the straight talk from the manure.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,107 Posts
I'd just cut and paste the answer, but what's the fun in that? You'll need to work for it. You know the old saying, you can teach a man to fish and he'll never go hungry?

See that box in the upper right corner of this website labeled 'Google Custom Search'? Type 'power window reset' and press enter. Look at the 4th link down for the answer to your question.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
I'd just cut and paste the answer, but what's the fun in that? You'll need to work for it. You know the old saying, you can teach a man to fish and he'll never go hungry?

See that box in the upper right corner of this website labeled 'Google Custom Search'? Type 'power window reset' and press enter. Look at the 4th link down for the answer to your question.
the lady could be on her cell phone in hostile territory. with one post it is not likely she or her phone can search easily or successfully.:|

and she came here for help.

·
Premium Member
2018 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R Crystal White Pearl/black interior
407 Posts
We purchased a preowned 2018 Outback Limited 3.6 and noticed on the Carfax that the rear window motor and regulator had been replaced under warranty. I assume the previous owners were having a problem similar to what you are having. The dealer should replace the parts if this problem persists.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,633 Posts
We purchased a preowned 2018 Outback Limited 3.6 and noticed on the Carfax that the rear window motor and regulator had been replaced under warranty. I assume the previous owners were having a problem similar to what you are having.
I doubt it. The rear windows don't have the "one touch up" function that the front windows do, and the "anti-trap" function of those sounds like the culprit.

The dealer should replace the parts if this problem persists.
Which parts? It's probably not the regulator (although it might be). It could be the track is creating enough friction to make the anti-trap think something is in the way.

My passenger window is starting to do that sometimes. I'm looking for a pattern to see if there is one (it seems worse in hot weather, but that's not well established) to figure out how to proceed.

When it does happen, it won't close unless you use the switch to open it at least a little before trying to close it again. Something I learned in the process.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited. 2.5L Green. Previous 2019, 2015 Outback and 2002 Forester
138 Posts
Try spraying some silicone spray lube in to the felt/rubber track where the window edge rides. You can also take an old toothbrush and clean out any dirt or stuff that has accumulated in that area.

Part of what the window motor circuit does is to look for excessive current draw while the window is closing. If the current is too high then the sensing circuit thinks that something might be blocking the window opening (like your head or your hand). The motor will stop and reverse direction to keep from pinching a body part.

Dirt or grime in the window track can cause friction and the system will think that there is an obstruction.

If you have a genuine misalignment then the spray lube in the track will not fix it. But if it is just a bit of drag on the edges the problem will go away.
I decided to try this trip. I used some spray dry lube in the channels. Hey, it works! For a few days only though. I thought I'd end up having it fixed at the dealer. $$$ But ended up buying a 2019. End of problem.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
I just put some petroleum jelly (Vaseline) in the track and it helped a lot. Water and heat do not seem to diminish the effect. Have not had a problem in the 7 months since I installed rain guards (Weatherteck).

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium
10 Posts
Did you get the issue documented before your 3yr/36K warranty expired? I've had the issue ever since I bought my 2016 2.5i Premium brand new. Within the first year of ownership, I reported the issue to a dealership/Subaru of America. Two different dealerships replaced the window Run Channel (1 year apart) and re-programmed the window, which did not solve the issue. Just last week (3 years after originally reporting the issue), another dealership finally replaced the regulator (~500 parts+labor) and Subaru of America paid for it, even though my car is 4 years old and has 59K miles on it. Hopefully the regulator replacement will be a permanent solution. Over the last 4 years I've wasted 4 vacation days from work, since the dealerships do only simple work like oil changes on weekends.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,633 Posts
Re-reading this thread since it popped back to near the top because of the recent post, I see that the first part of my earlier reply was in error. The rear windows on at least some of the newer models do indeed have one-touch open/close, so they would be subject to the problem described. Apologies for any confusion.

The passenger window on my '15 has had this problem off and on for a couple of years now. It seems to be worse in hot weather than cool. I found that spraying silicone lube in the top channel caused the problem to definitively go away, but only for a few days, which suggests that the problem is indeed excessive friction when the window is trying to slide into that part of the channel. After a little more investigation, I'm fairly sure that the problem area is in the rubber in the top front corner. Next will be to try Tishers' suggestion about cleaning at least that part of the channel with a toothbrush, perhaps with dish detergent, and maybe try Rain-X if that doesn't solve it. If none of that works to my satisfaction, I may try to widen the slot in the rubber with a file or sandpaper before just giving up and replacing it; at that point, I would have little to lose if it ruined the seal.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts