Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a weird issue with my 2012 Outback. If I'm going highway speed (60+ mph) and put my driver side window down, when I go to put it back up, a lot of the time it will stop when it is 99.9% up (you can't see a crack anymore, but you can hear the airflow). If I try about 10 times in a row (roll down a bit, then back up), it will eventually go all the way and make a "shunk!" sound like it is being sucked into place by pressure.

Here's more evidence that pressure plays into it somehow. If I roll BOTH front windows down, whichever one I put up first goes up no problem. It is the SECOND one that will get stuck when almost closed. If I'm having problems closing the driver side window, I can crack the passenger side and then the driver side will close simply. But then I have problems closing the passenger side.

None of this is a problem at lower speeds or stopped.

Has anyone else heard of or experienced this problem? I may take it up with the dealer, but I imagine they will try to blame it on my window tinting. Thing is, this problem occurred even before I got them tinted. I've just been dealing with it for a while and ignoring it, but now I'm wondering if I should get it looked at sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It could be that the speed and airflow over the window are pulling it outward, similar to lift on the wing of an airplane, and the window is thus pulled slightly outwards against the tract causing it to bind due to friction. Possible fix, might be to lubricate the tracks if you can find a suitable lubricant.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It could be that the speed and airflow over the window are pulling it outward, similar to lift on the wing of an airplane, and the window is thus pulled slightly outwards against the tract causing it to bind due to friction. Possible fix, might be to lubricate the tracks if you can find a suitable lubricant.
That's actually very possible. Sad that I have a BS in Aero Eng and did not think of that myself. :rolleyes: Odd though that it's never happened on any other car. Guess it's just the right profile on this one.

·
Premium Member
2012 Outback Limited 3.6R Pearl White, Moonroof, Protection Package, Side Molding, Puddle Lights, interior lighting package and STI RASB
68 Posts
I believe this has been discussed before, and the fix is new front door glass with a slightly different curve. My car does the same thing but I am debating the fix vs living with it as sometimes once they take apart the door it is never the same. There may be a TSB out on it.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Same reason why convertible tops balloon outwards at highway speeds.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i CVT
468 Posts
This is a known issue, one my 2012 had. Take it to your dealer. If you can prove to them it does this and tell them to look at the Subaru Tech Tips from June of 2012 it should tell them exactly what the problem is and how to fix it. My dealer was fantastic about fixing this once they saw the Tech Tips and now my windows seat every time regardless of speed or any other circumstance. This issue is known by Subaru and you don't have to live with it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe this has been discussed before, and the fix is new front door glass with a slightly different curve. My car does the same thing but I am debating the fix vs living with it as sometimes once they take apart the door it is never the same. There may be a TSB out on it.
Yeah, I think I would debate that too. Especially since I'd have to get the tint re-done on those two windows if I got them replaced.

Thanks for the definitive responses though... good info to have.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts