Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone done it? Aside from the obvious like having to make sure a harness and ECU come with it, what else to keep in mind?

(side note to anyone familiar with me from the 2nd gen: I might trade my rusted out, half-finished, mostly-working LL Bean for a better-condition 3rd gen with a hatched 2.5)

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,474 Posts
when you search on such swaps = too much work.

and the thought is to be forgotten about. (wires wires wires, engine cradle, rust,...transmission, diffs, etc).

______

fast easy work: just taking a good drive train from a rust bucket, and putting it in a unrusted car with a MATCHING bad one in it.

and throwing the remaining junk away. (bad engine, and rust bucket,...saving any good parts).

·
Registered
1 Posts
jdmengineschicago.com/jdm-engines/subaru/subaru-legacy-outback-jdm-ez30-engine-3-0l-motor-dohc-auto-trans.html]Subaru Legacy Outback JDM EZ30 Engine 3.0L Motor DOHC & Auto Trans (Link)

this chicago based jdm company can sell ya a ez30 and trans for 900 bucks

·
Premium Member
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
****. Finding another 2.5 seems to be a somewhat more expensive proposition for some reason.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,474 Posts
****. Finding another 2.5 seems to be a somewhat more expensive proposition for some reason.

for the LLBean engine, just get a 2001-2004 H6 car listed as needing head gaskets. with no visible rust, and drop it in.

and sell it to someone that will be happy with it.

____

that thing is not going into any other type car.
(swapping it forward to a 2005-2009 will jam you up on inspection, if anyone plugs in to the ECU or exhaust).

anyone on youtube doing those kind of swaps has a free pit crew,...or a year of nothing to do.

·
Premium Member
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Bean Machine, as it sits, would make my coworker happy, cuz he'd be able to drive again at least. Got ourselves a Private Pyle thing goin' on again, so he gets that. I was hoping that it was mostly an electrical compatibility thing/ECU with 2.5 -> 3.0 in 3rd gen, but if it's too much more I'll just sell him the Bean Machine and be done with it for now.

Edit: Also, we're inspection-free state, even on sale/re-reg (except a couple counties that I don't live in or near).

Another edit: I see some confusion here... you were thinking I meant taking my existing EZ30 in the Bean Machine and putting it into the 3rd gen OBW. Nope. I'm talking a "3.0R" pull from a 2008/2009 Legacy/OB.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,578 Posts
Still a bad idea,

BCU, ECU, Cluster, TCU all have to match to make the car happy.

Let alone the exhaust, radiator, struts (springs), etc. It's all the ancillary stuff that kills the idea. Plus, it was a factory config.

Depending on how bad the motor is, you can steal a short block from a much larger range of cars than an entire drop-out engine. JDM import engine is also a way to go.

·
Premium Member
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why's it that difficult just on an engine switch on the same years? I understand a ECU/TCU change, but suspension and stuff?

Interop is a new concept to me anyway, so forgive the curiosity.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,578 Posts
Why's it that difficult just on an engine switch on the same years? I understand a ECU/TCU change, but suspension and stuff?

Interop is a new concept to me anyway, so forgive the curiosity.
Hey, everyone has to learn sometime!

Suspension is not critical, but the spring rate is better rated for the heavier nose.

The easiest way is to buy a half-cut so you can steal the bulkhead and engine bay harness plus married modules.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,663 Posts
It's not cheap. It's not easy. It's not quick.

But you can do it. The bulk head (or preferably the entire car) from a rust bucket but otherwise well running car is your best bet.

You don't have to change the suspension and brakes but it will be less than ideal as the engine is heavier with a 6.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts