Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New to the forum and I've been paging through researching for an upcoming 2013 2.5 Limited purchase.

We're planning on ordering it and I was wondering what accessories are worth getting via the dealer versus getting the parts via subaru or a 3rd party and installing them myself.

I.e. hitch, rear bumper cover, bug guard, splash guards, etc.

Any options that you can't live without?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
'15, Outback Premium 2.5, White
26 Posts
I have installed myself the hitch (Subaru way), STI rear sway bar, and puddle lights. All were relatively simple yet cost a considerable amount in labor if done by the dealer. My puddle lights were compounded by the fact that I have the wheel well covers too but was still quite simple. Probably could have done all of that within a 4 hour time window, maybe less.
I think the puddle lights look cool, my wife likes the fact that she can see anything before stepping in it!

·
Registered
2013 & 2014 Outback
268 Posts
I have done this twice and its worked well. Do some research on line. Look up what the accessories would cost online from other Subaru dealers. Ask yourself how difficult installing would be. After you come to an agreement on the basic price of the car tell the salesman what accessories you want and how much you would pay online. My salesman charged me the internet price and about $100.00 for installation of the mud flaps, tire arches and cargo nets. The list price for those options was near $1000.00/lot. Dealer supplied them and installed them for less the $500.00

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 3.6 Limited - Twilight Blue
167 Posts
I ordered the car accessories when I ordered the car, pricing was invoice on the accessories and they were installed at port therefore no install cost. As easy as it is to install this stuff, having someone install it for free is even better plus getting these accessories at invoice or less is difficult.

As for the accessories I think are useful:
All Weather Mats - I am sure there are better but since I am camping/skiing maybe 5 days out of the year and use the carpet mats the other 360 days I think they are fine and they fit.
Rear Pumper Cover/Protector, that plastic thing on top of the bumper - seems super useful, I can get super sloppy with cargo loading and not scratch paint on the bumper.
Rear Seat Back Covers - I thought they looked robust but I think cars101.com showed that the screw clips break easily.
Nets - I love the nets. Coming from a car w/o nets I find these extremely useful. In Northern California you almost never gets bags with anything you buy anymore per local regulations and tossing these in the nets to they don't bounce around is awesome.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Check on edmunds.com for the invoice pricing of the accessories you want and, if the dealer will add them at that price or lower (free is good!), then I would have them factory or dealer installed. Also, check carefully what is already included in the Limited trim. You may have several accessories that you want already factory installed; included at that trim level.

Remember, everything is negotiable as to the price you pay - car, accessories, options, and even the extended warranty and service contract (I bought neither of these last two). Out here on the left coast we have been paying well under invoice for most new cars. I bought my 2012 Outback for $1500+ under invoice (that's invoice, not the much higher MSRP or sticker price)

As has been mentioned already, most every Subaru accessory comes as a kit with instructions, and can be installed by anyone with reasonable skill and patience. With the help provided by this forum's members, most owners can easily install most accessories.

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7
396 Posts
Puddle lights rock. Wheel arch moldings are great, though a bit pricey for what they are. Rear bumper guard will definitely help prevent scratches when you load/unload stuff. Seat back protectors are good as well.

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
Check on edmunds.com for the invoice pricing of the accessories you want and, if the dealer will add them at that price or lower (free is good!), then I would have them factory or dealer installed. Also, check carefully what is already included in the Limited trim. You may have several accessories that you want already factory installed; included at that trim level.

Remember, everything is negotiable as to the price you pay - car, accessories, options, and even the extended warranty and service contract (I bought neither of these last two). Out here on the left coast we have been paying well under invoice for most new cars. I bought my 2012 Outback for $1500+ under invoice (that's invoice, not the much higher MSRP or sticker price)

As has been mentioned already, most every Subaru accessory comes as a kit with instructions, and can be installed by anyone with reasonable skill and patience. With the help provided by this forum's members, most owners can easily install most accessories.
Edmunds Invoice prices sometime appear to be incorrect. Dealer has two invoice prices for accessories - port installed and dealer installed. For the dealer installed items, there will be a labor charge and those are essentially very expensive. Best bet is to have everything that you want installed at "port". Some items; however, are only available as dealer installed items.

G-

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Hello,

New to the forum and I've been paging through researching for an upcoming 2013 2.5 Limited purchase.

We're planning on ordering it and I was wondering what accessories are worth getting via the dealer versus getting the parts via subaru or a 3rd party and installing them myself.

I.e. hitch, rear bumper cover, bug guard, splash guards, etc.

Any options that you can't live without?

Thanks in advance.
my dealer actually told me - "get all the small crap online - we can't even sell it anywhere close to the price you can get it from the online purchase" The funny part is most of the online sources are subaru dealers running a online parts store out of their parts department.

All of that small secondary crap is just installed by the dealer and they charge big money for it. Dealer quoted my mom $1000 to put a hitch on her 2010 legacy for her bike rack. I'm doing for her looking at $170 or so for a Hidden Hitch - 2-3hr install via the bumper removal subaru shop method etc. This is the second one I've done my 2010 Ob was the same way.

The plastic fender flairs? Its a personal thing - I don't like all the cheap plastic **** on my cars even hate the stupid plastic kick panels held to the bottom of the doors with cheap plastic pop pins in the sheet metal. All of it just there to make people think they have a SUV and not a legacy wagon LOL

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
While I am handy and have experience with almost all aspects of auto repair and maintenance I seldom buy anything new and when I do I keep it a long time 10-13 years. I decided I would order everything needed and since I was getting a terrific price the cost of the components installed was not significant. Only thing I would do over is get the hidden hitch.
I will after market other stuff once I get my hands on it but it hardly needs too much more than what comes with the Limited.
Maybe HID fogs and low beams is about all I can think of and as long as it doesn't interfer with Eye Sight the interior illumination kit...

·
Registered
111 Posts
I ordered parts from an approved forum vendor and plan on installing them myself. The rear bumper cover seems easy enough and I think that the seat back protectors are easy enough as well though I understand a little drilling is required. Given 101s remarks about the clips breaking it just means that I have to be careful sliding things around.

Ron

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 3.6 Limited - Twilight Blue
167 Posts
Puddle lights rock. Wheel arch moldings are great, though a bit pricey for what they are. Rear bumper guard will definitely help prevent scratches when you load/unload stuff. Seat back protectors are good as well.
I second the wheel arch moldings if you get a color that contrasts enough w/ the black plastic. I got Deep Indigo Pearl - I can barely see any contrast since it is so dark.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited
34 Posts
Since your ordering the car I would get any accessories you want. If you’re looking at cars on the lot you have to balance what accessories are a real PITA or $$$$ to do afterwards and make sure they are included on the car.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,527 Posts
Hello,

...what ever accessories you decide on, do them yourself. Generally they are not that difficult to install and you have the added bonus of the intrinsically good feeling you get from looking at it and knowing that you did it yourself...nothing beats that feeling...:29:

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium
39 Posts
...what ever accessories you decide on, do them yourself. Generally they are not that difficult to install and you have the added bonus of the intrinsically good feeling you get from looking at it and knowing that you did it yourself...nothing beats that feeling...:29:
I second this!

Dealer wanted $600 for a hitch. Bought a Curt hitch separately ($150 on sale) and debated having it installed or doing it myself. It seemed a little daunting at first, but it was a piece of cake. :17:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Or the feeling screwing up your new ride! :p

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 and 2.5 Limited
52 Posts
Wanted to share a story related to this thread. I was thinking of selling my outback to Carmax. When i was telling them there were additional options that both the dealer and I had installed they said they could not include those options when they calculated the offer they would give me....only if they were installed by the factory and included in the initial sticker options. I told them they are f*cking nuts as I have about an additional grand in options and they said sorry.

Don't know if anyone else has had this issue...probably just a stupid one-off Carmax policy.

·
Registered
2016 Carbide Gray Limited with Moonroof, Nav, and Eyesight
904 Posts
Did not see anybody mention that any items installed by the factory or the Dealer at the time of purchase are also included in the bumper to bumper warranty. Also, My dealer gave a pretty good deal on the labor, and a discount on the accessories I purchased at that time. Puddle lights, seat back net, block heater, and all weather mats. The clips in the puddle lights kit were not as good as the factory lower cladding clips, and the dealer replaced them for free when I noticed the cladding seemed loose.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,527 Posts
Or the feeling screwing up your new ride! :p
:jump: ...could be very true. I take the carpentry approach...measure twice and cut once. I lay everything out, go over it a dry run first then do the actual work. That said, if you don't have a knack for DIY, then maybe it is best left to someone who does.

·
Registered
2015 OB Limited 2.5i PZEV MR, Keyless Access & Push-Button Start, Nav, Eyesight - Tungsten Metallic
1,313 Posts
You can visit this site to see what's involved in installing different accessories:

http://techinfo.subaru.com/index.html

Click on "Online References" and then use the pull down menus to choose "Accessory Installation Guide".

You then can choose the year, model and trim to look at a list of different accessories. Choose 2013 to look at the new ones but also look at the earlier years to see accessories that will fit all model years like the Puddle Lights.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wanted to share a story related to this thread. I was thinking of selling my outback to Carmax. When i was telling them there were additional options that both the dealer and I had installed they said they could not include those options when they calculated the offer they would give me....only if they were installed by the factory and included in the initial sticker options. I told them they are f*cking nuts as I have about an additional grand in options and they said sorry.

Don't know if anyone else has had this issue...probably just a stupid one-off Carmax policy.
I believe it! Most dealers just take your VIN number and lookup make/model/options and make an offer based on that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts