Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

OBXT Moderator, ,
2005 Outback XT Limited MT
Discussion Starter #1
05 OB-XT (MT)

I'm curious about the 05s, in particular the OB-XT. From what I gather the OB-XT gets the same gearing in the manual transmission as the F-XT, which I've heard is a bit short with a final drive ratio of 4.44. Anyone speculate on reasons why they've done this?

SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 100,000+ miles
Better low end power and takeoff ability, no other reasons that I can think of. As far as the FXT Subaru just took a larger 4-cylinder, put on a small turbo with lightweight internals, and mixed that with a well geared (low geared) transmission. That combination gave it a high takeoff rate which lead to excellent 0-60 times, I haven't heard of any times on the OBXT although I'm sure they'll be similiar if not better ;)

OBXT Moderator, ,
Discussion Starter #3
But doesn't that just kill the fuel efficiency, especially considering the gearing in 5th.

mudge said:
But doesn't that just kill the fuel efficiency, especially considering the gearing in 5th.
Lower MPG is the price you pay for performance in an Outback and in any car for that matter. Sad but true but thats the way it is, you gotta give something to get something :)

Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
I hope they don't think 120MPH is the top speed for the 3.0R, anyway it's top speed is in 4th gear not 5th. Subaru claim 139MPH top speed, but they have a repution for being very conservative, it's probably more like 149.. It does look like a 6 speed would be ideal for the XT!

Jondalar said:
It does look like a 6 speed would be ideal for the XT!
An STi 6-Speed would be ideal for an Outback XT, Forester XT, any Outback H6-3.0, Baja Turbo, and any WRX. Its just a **** good manual tranny, I still have reservations about the new 'Reinforced' 5-speed Subaru is putting on the Legacy GT and Outback XT. Hopefully Subaru will come to their senses and start using their STi 6-speed in more models ;)

OBXT Moderator, ,
Discussion Starter #8
Hear, hear! (Whatever that really means):)

Registered
Outback 2.5XT

Hi! Anyone know if the Turbo model is coming to Sweden? I can only find the 2.5 with 165hp....

What is the price difference between 3.0R vs 2.5XT?

Regards, Mika

Registered
2003 Subaru Outback 2005 Ford Ranger
Welcome to the board! I'm pretty sure that North America is the only market that will be getting the XT (at least initially). I don't think Subaru has officially announced prices yet though.

Registered
'04 Colorado, '90 Legacy sedan
I got email saying the '05 OB's will start in the high 20's with the 3.0R topping 30k. The XT is between 27k and 29k.

Outback onsight...
'03outback, '98 forester S lifted m/t's, 4eat, lsd
another gas hawg!

Why would you want a another gas hawg? All turbocharged cars require using 92 octane and have ****ty mileage! More maintaince and cost! Fuel is your highest cost for the life of the car! Bigger isn't always better..the days of $1.49 unleaded 87 are gone! besides it cuts into my beer fund!!:rolleyes:

Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
Scooby the 3.0R also requires a premium unleaded fuel, although here in Australia at least the Liberty/Legacy GT (2.0 Turbo - same power as OB-XT) requires ultra-premium 98RON, not sure what MON that translates to though.

Registered
2013 XV Crosstrek
When are 2.5XTs arriving at dealerships?

New forum member here, Been eyeing the new Outbacks for awhile here, would make a perfect vehicle for me for my winter and summer pursuits. I'm wondering if anybody has any concrete info on when are the XTs supposed to arrive at dealerships. (In the Northeast). I saw the review here below from Hero Boots but the two local dealerships near me have only received the base 2.5i or the 3.0R LL bean version. Nobody has the XT nor can give me a concrete answer of when they'll get one.

The one dealership I spoke to says their distributor can't even tell them a date or so...

Thanks,
Jay

Well Jay, my dealers had no clue when they were going to get their Turbo models for 2005. They just came in whenever they did, each dealer seems to be getting turbo models one at a time and different turbo models are varied between dealers. For right now, "Only time will tell..."

Registered
2013 XV Crosstrek
I guess I'll update this thread..

I've talked to two dealerships here in Northern NJ, Liberty Subaru and Wayne Subaru... Liberty Subaru has already gotten 2 XTs (ordered in advance by die hards!) but they have just started to get XTs not spoken for.

Wayne Subaru left me a voice mail saying they should start getting them in from SDC (subaru Distribution Center) between now (6/21) and this friday (6/25) so if you're in the NJ area, now is the time to start contacting dealerships... They are coming!

jay

Friendly Subaru Dealer, ,
We just sold two last week, both limited, one Obsidian Black, the other Silver. **** fun car. The sun roof makes it feel like a convertable.

OBXT Moderator, ,
Discussion Starter #18
I'm going to test drive an XT today (5-speed). Let you know how it goes.

:)

Premium Member
2020 Limited XT Autumn Green Metallic/Warm Ivory, Falken WIldpeak A/T Trail, OEM Skid Plates etc
Stereo's in XT and XT Limited's

First Post for me here...

Can you owners tell me if the '05's have the RDS (Shows radio call letters and other data transmitted by the radio station) on the 6 disc changers for the North American market.

We are considering the XT LTD or the 2.5i LTD and have this feature on my Escape and love it.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts