Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please check this car's ad photos and description and let me know what I should look for in terms of potential problems. I am looking for a fun daily driver to keep miles off of my Ram Diesel. Plan to test drive it tomorrow. If I like the wagon I may have a pre-purchase inspection completed at a local dealer.

Craigslist Atlanta 6381726858 (can't post the links, my post count isn't high enough yet)
eBay item 192360533723

I see some rust. I imagine many of these cars come from up north where the roads are salted. The aftermarket parts do not bother me, I am in the aftermarket parts business. The 162K miles has me a bit concerned, especially if the wagon has been driven hard.

I appreciate your help. Thanks!

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Ebay ad says it has $4k worth of performance parts on it, and there's a trailer hitch in one picture.

Both are signs that the car's been whipped hard.

Now in fairness- it may be properly built up to handle that. It may be worth what he's asking. But it's on you to figure out if the guy did it right and chose the same performance parts you would. Otherwise you're just cashing him out of the hobby and buying something undocumented that nobody really knows how to work on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You couldn't get me to pay for a 12 year old 160K+ mile turbo car with lots of obvious mods anyways, and since they're asking nearly $8000...hard nope.
Thank you for posting the link and thank you for your honest reply. There is another low mile '05, Atlanta Craigslist 6371370140 . I have been looking for '06 and newer 5MT models because IIHS ranked the Head restraints & seats: "Acceptable" for '05. "Good" for '06 and newer. Any idea why?

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
From a reliability standpoint, I would stop looking at Outback XT's. They can be a lot of fun, but they can also run up big repair bills with little warning. Especially if they have been abused or neglected.

I would look for a H6 engine vehicle. They are 5 speed automatics only and it'll still need premium fuel, but it is a lot more sturdy and has the same power numbers (with a rather different power band) as the turbo. Some minor upgrades in the realm of suspension, tires, brakes and a tune from Ed at XRT here on the forums will open up a bit of fun potential.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
that atlanta one has a new turbo - i would want to know why and what happened to the old one. one doesn't just slap on a new 4 digit turbo because they're bored and then sell the car.

rust sucks, i'd avoid it at all costs even if it's a northeast transplant. you'll be replacing expensive exhaust parts soon - so maybe you want a little rust so you can get some turbo exhaust goodies?

5MT models
turbo and higher mileage aren't not often a far cry from a solid $1,000+ clutch job in the near future.

with this age and mileage the timing belt, pulleys and tensioner all need replaced with quality parts, i prefer Subaru or Aisin at this point. Most aren't going to have that, I'd prefer to budget for it and have it done on my terms so i can hand pick the better parts. then again - how likely is a turbo of this age/mileage to make another reliable 100,000 miles...probably not, so maybe i'm ahead of myself.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,222 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everyone for the input, I really appreciate it. I'm a manual transmission guy. I'm also a V8, old school muscle car guy. Too bad the H6 was not available with 5MT. From the Potential 06 XT Purchase thread referenced above:
I would trust a ej22T or ej22 with 750k miles on it being more reliable than a xt with 100k on it.
it's likely one of the top 3 worst subaru engines they have ever made
Perhaps a WRX wagon with the EJ22T... or maybe I should stop shopping for cars and get one of my three project cars on the road.

and as you live somewhere in the south why put up with ANY rust.?
Very good point.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,222 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the input, I really appreciate it. I'm a manual transmission guy. I'm also a V8, old school muscle car guy. Too bad the H6 was not available with 5MT. From the Potential 06 XT Purchase thread referenced above:

Perhaps a WRX wagon with the EJ22T... or maybe I should stop shopping for cars and get one of my three project cars on the road.

EJ22T are some of the greatest engines ever....but they are 1991-1994 things (only with about 165hp/ torque).
sometimes reworked into FAST race engines. (like what to smash the lap record on Isle of Man,...with a 25 year old engine).

later Ej22T were in the fabled impreza 22B. and if you have money to find one of those,...many here will happily help you "test" it.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/subaru-impreza-22b-sti-archived-test-review

1 - 9 of 9 Posts