Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, with almost 130k miles on my wife's Outback, the factory front brake pads are down to 3mm, so I'm going to replace them. They have been fantastic brakes. they stop the car well. Absolutely no noise. Very low dust. And of course, they have worn well. What more could I want out of a set of brake pads?

So my plan is to order the Subaru OEM brake pad kit (Subaru p/n 26296SC011). But before I did so, I got looking at the PowerStop Z26 Street Warrior carbon fiber/ceramic pads. The seem impressive. So I thought I would ask, has anyone else used aftermarket front brake pads on their Gen 4, that they have been particularly impressed with? If yes, how did they compare to the factory brakes? Shorter stop? Noisy or no? Dust? Wear? Fade?

My wife and I took a nice little mountain drive today to enjoy the autumn scenery. On the descent, I could smell the brakes, so I stopped to check on them. They were smoking something awful! But no fade. However, now, it is on my mind.

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
700 Posts
I have been running Wagner ThermoQuiet pads on all of our vehicles for nearly a decade now. Great bite, silent as a tomb, very little dust, long-lasting, and very price-competitive if ordered from rockauto.com or some of the other online sources.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,240 Posts
I just replaced all 4 with Raybestos eht pads, very nice, quiet, no dust, great stopping power. I still can't get over the price on RockAuto: both sets, shipped to Canada, with the exchange rate was less than 1 set from a local parts store (a wholesale store)! Also changed out the rear rotors since they were bad.

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. Price is not a concern. I'm willing to pay for OEM if I need to. I'd really like to know how other brakes compare specifically to experience with the factory brakes.
I looked at each of the ones above.

Hawk has a fairly informative website, but it doesn't matter. They don't list pads for the '13 2.5. Wagner doesn't have a lot of information on their website, to the point that it is difficult to know what one product offers over another. It took a while to find the Raybestos website. It had some good information. But nothing sold me on any of them being any better than the OEM. I'll probably go with what I know has performed so well in the past.

·
Registered
287 Posts
One of the surprising, depressing facts about life in 2019 is that asbestos isn't banned in the US. So whatever brand you choose, take a few minutes to ask if it's asbestos-free. Saving on a DIY brake job vs mesothelioma. Not much of a choice.

·
Registered
287 Posts
One of the surprising, depressing facts about life in 2019 is that asbestos isn't banned in the US. So whatever brand you choose, take a few minutes to ask if it's asbestos-free. A few extra bucks on a DIY brake job vs mesothelioma. Not much of a choice.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I am using EBC Extra Duty pads. These are the best I have ever used! Quiet, smooth... I cant say enough about them.

·
Registered
Looking....and looking....and looking...and found! 2011 Outback 2.5i, 6-speed manual.
12 Posts
Hawk HPS here currently. Noise free, kinda dusty (don't care), stops are way more solid than the original stock ones. No question I will be buying them again.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I used EBC Extra Duty pads. I paired them with DBA rotors. I have used many different pads in my time. These are the best pads I have ever used. Very smooth, very quiet and advertised to be their longest lasting pad. These also have the new NRS hook pad retention system. This are the only pads i will be using from now on.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've had a set of Bosch's upper-grade pads on stock rotors. They work great, fair price, and they have lasted about 80k miles of commuting. I will buy them again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts