Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm preparing to do the 105k service on my 2011 2.5OB. Is there a preferred vendor or kit for the timing belt (and/or kits to avoid)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,617 Posts
most folks try to get rollers with Japanese bearings, tensioner= OEM (NTN ?)

if doing waterpump, OEM or Aisin preferred

Belt; OEM or Mitsuboshi

sources are all over the map = online dealers are good for OEM; subarugenuineparts, fredbeansparts, etc. - or have local dealer match their prices

ebay, rockauto, amazon

try a search for even more discussions

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium 6spd
29 Posts
I got mine on Amazon. Aisin kit with Mistuboshi belt and water pump. TKF006 for about $220. 100% Japanese bearings and parts.

Good kit. Good parts. Good fitment. Everything is working as it should 800 miles in. It was all pretty easy breezy.

Went ahead and changed water pump while I was in there and as much coolant as I could get out.

I also did a front main oil seal which I purchased from Subaru directly.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,617 Posts
^^^ that's how you do it.

if you decide to do thermostat - it needs to be OEM 'style' - like on the left here;

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also did a front main oil seal which I purchased from Subaru directly.
Thanks for the advice. First I've heard about the main oil seal during this service. Was that just a "because I was in there" thing, or are they known to cause problems down the road?

The Outback is paid off and is a long term hold vehicle for us, so I'm up for spending a bit more money/time on it if it's something that might make a difference down the road. Getting this thing past another timing belt service is my goal.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium 6spd
29 Posts
I don't think it's a notorious thing. Just something I did when I was in there. Just cuz. I treat all my cars like I'll keep them forever and I too would like to have no front main leakage for another 100k miles.

I mean they're not terrible to get to and I could do it in a rough afternoon but it's just one of those things. While I'm in there. Same thing with my water pump. It looked brand new. But If I didn't change it it would start leaking a month later and I'd kick myself for not doing it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts