Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I get the Premium or Limited?
Is the 18" tires significantly deliver better handling and safer on the road?

Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
17 OB Premium, White w/black
105 Posts
I have a Premium and plan on Limited next time. Rear AC vents #1 reason as I am in Texas.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,290 Posts
When we bought our 2017 we like the limited wheels better. That was one reason. :) Another reason was the HID headlights.

Reactions: qanadin

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited Eyesight - Remote Start - Auto Dimming In/Outside Mirrors
245 Posts
For folks that use their Outbacks to extremes (snow, off road) I think in general getting the specialized tires seem to be easier for the 17's.

Test drive a limited and a premium and see if you notice a difference?

Reactions: Gary_R

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5i
333 Posts
At 65 vs 60, neither is a particularly low-profile tire. A lot depends on what you want/don't want and which option packages you compare. e.g., you can get no moonroof in a Premium, but you can't get pushbutton start or steering-responsive LED headlights, etc.

And you can always change the wheels/tires or keep separate summer/winter sets.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited w/Eyesight
159 Posts
Here are the main differences that I could find between the 2018 Premium vs. Limited. Also, the price difference appears to be more in the $3k to $4k range.

• HK audio system
  • Leather
  • Keyless access w/push button start
  • LED SRH headlights (as an option)
  • Power passenger seat
  • Memory driver side seat (2 memories)
  • Heated rear seats and AC vents
  • Reverse automatic breaking (as an option)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Price gap really depends on option packages - if you want a moonroof, power gate and eyesight, it's about $3k @ msrp. You're paying for the moonroof and power gate with the Ltd anyways. If they aren't priorities, Premium+Eyesight is a good value point. If it's just about tire size, different tires will probably have a more consistently noticeable effect than 225/65R17 vs 225/60R18. A bit of handling vs a bit of cushion on a fairly soft-riding SUV.

·
Registered
'18 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Nav
2,810 Posts
Good question... This is a personal decision. I wanted the leather seats, upgraded audio, and 18” rims. The extra few grand was worth it to me. Sure, I could upgrade aftermarket, but that is a few grand worth of hassle. And I do not believe an aftermarket stereo installation could be as good.

I did not want moonroof or electronic rear gate, but I gave in to get the other features I wanted. (I still don’t want them.) I did not want Eyesight and managed to get a Limited without it.

I recommend writing down the extra features you want and seeing if the price difference is worth it to you.

·
Registered
'18 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Nav
2,810 Posts
Here are the main differences that I could find between the 2018 Premium vs. Limited. Also, the price difference appears to be more in the $3k to $4k range.

• HK audio system
  • Leather
  • Keyless access w/push button start
  • LED SRH headlights (as an option)
  • Power passenger seat
  • Memory driver side seat (2 memories)
  • Heated rear seats and AC vents
  • Reverse automatic breaking (as an option)
Plus...

*18” wheels
*Moonroof

·
Registered
2016 Carbide Grey 2.5 Limited Outback with Eyesight. Add-on: Geolandar GO15's on 17" WRX rims, Ecohitch
300 Posts
I recommend writing down the extra features you want and seeing if the price difference is worth it to you.
Exactly what I did. I was going to get Eyesight regardless of trim, so my price diff was ~$2k, and for the amount of upgrades that I wanted plus some bonuses made the decision easy.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 111,000+ miles
5,154 Posts
I have had 3 Premium trim Outbacks and currently own a 2018 Premium with Eyesight. I do love my current car but if I could go back in time and do everything over again I would have liked to have gotten the 3.6 Limited model. I love the engine and all the additional feature content of the Limited trim, it IS worth the extra money in my fairest of opinions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got a 2.5 premium without eyesight. I'm pleased with my decision. I prefer simplicity and the no frills premium was a good balance in amenities and price.

I do wish it had a powered passenger seat for my wife, though.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited w/Eyesight
159 Posts
Sure.

Upgraded audio is an option too, but play that game and the price will end up being just as much as the Limited.
I completely agree. I was just trying to list the items that you could not get if you went with a premium. Kind of like the java brown leather, low profile roof rails and heated steering wheel on the touring models.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited Eyesight - Remote Start - Auto Dimming In/Outside Mirrors
245 Posts
Having had leather before ... and kids ... leather is the way to go.

Easy to clean. Period.

Even though my kids are getting older, my wife still insisted on leather seating. I would have been fine with the cloth but hey the wife is happy.

That pretty much put us looking at the limited and touring models. Touring advantages just did not do it for me.

With that being said as noted with premium to limited, you can load up a limited to be essentially a touring too if you don't watch yourself.

·
Registered
333 Posts
With that being said as noted with premium to limited, you can load up a limited to be essentially a touring too if you don't watch yourself.
Been there, did that. upsold myself from a premium to a limited back in February, got wind of 2018 improvements and held off until fall, upsold myself to a 2.5 touring. Given the prices where I purchased the touring from vs where I would have purchased the premium from, and 0%/63 months (now) vs 1.99%/60 (credit union, then), the 2018 touring cost me about $2.2k more than a 2017 premium would have.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts