Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What essential items do you keep on your OB for exploring?

I keep:
Flashlights x4
First Aid Kit x2
Farm Jack x1
Shovels x2
Tow Straps x4
Lighter x2
Emergency Pack of smokes x2
Flat-Fixer x2

Most of it is in a weatherproof polyurethane box.
18 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel tank.
Spare Battery and Starter.
Survival kit including various survival items and ThermoBlanket.
Extra Pair of Boots and Wooly Socks.
Heavy Winter Coat/SnowPants

God Forbid I should have to use any of them :)

-J :D :D :D

·
Registered
399 Posts
NYC snow exploration in up to 20'ish inches of snow required just a snow-brush / ice scraper in a well maintained Subaru.

I alway keep flat-fix, jumper cables, a coil pack, fuel pump motor, crank / cam sensors, fuses, relays, coolant, oil, & tools in the trunk of my Legacy wagon which is raised to stock ride height via OEM strut/spring assembly's for the winter (is on H&R bilstein's for the other 3 seasons) + has a LSD.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well being this is my first winter with a Subaru.My first 4x4 was last winter and I clicked it into 4x4 exactly once.I hope it freaking snows alot.My winter prep is making sure everything is good to go,Maint items ect.Some big mud flaps,I purchased a set of Pacemark Snowtracker ST2 snow tires,a snowbrush,jumper cables.Other than that I think Im good unless we get a freak Blizzard like 3 years ago.But if my old 90 5spd Turbo Carvan can handle it I highly doubt it will be a problem for my subaru.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No picture sadly, but here is the tank that I used RDS General-Purpose Fuel Tank — 18-Gallon, Rectangle | Auxiliary-Transfer Tanks| Northern Tool + Equipment

I had it mounted in the back in a corner closest to the back seats, and with a bit of drilling and tubing and installation of a fuel on/off valve that I can flip so it transfers fuel to the main tank. It takes about half an hour for the majority of the aux. tank to fill the main tank, purely because it's gravity fed, and I need to get wider tubing for it so it flows more easily.

But I hope I never have to use it. (Again)

·
Registered
32 Posts
No picture sadly, but here is the tank that I used RDS General-Purpose Fuel Tank — 18-Gallon, Rectangle | Auxiliary-Transfer Tanks| Northern Tool + Equipment

I had it mounted in the back in a corner closest to the back seats, and with a bit of drilling and tubing and installation of a fuel on/off valve that I can flip so it transfers fuel to the main tank. It takes about half an hour for the majority of the aux. tank to fill the main tank, purely because it's gravity fed, and I need to get wider tubing for it so it flows more easily.

But I hope I never have to use it. (Again)

I had a RDS 91 gallon tank in the bed of my Ram when I used to haul.Instead of the gravity feed I used a aux fuel pump,relay,switch(with LED light when on)to fill the main tank.A whole lot faster than gravity feed,just have to be careful you dont forget its on.Other trucks I used had a transfer flow tank.They didnt work so well and ended up overfilling the tank.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What essential items do you keep on your OB for exploring?

I keep:
Flashlights x4
First Aid Kit x2
Farm Jack x1
Shovels x2
Tow Straps x4
Lighter x2
Emergency Pack of smokes x2
Flat-Fixer x2

Most of it is in a weatherproof polyurethane box.
18 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel tank.
Spare Battery and Starter.
Survival kit including various survival items and ThermoBlanket.
Extra Pair of Boots and Wooly Socks.
Heavy Winter Coat/SnowPants

God Forbid I should have to use any of them :)

-J :D :D :D
Wow! That is a lot of stuff! Are you sure you are not preparing for the world to end in December? LOL I keep extra warm clothes, a tow strap.... Bout it. Last winter we got very little snow. Previous years I was rolling in a Jeep XJ, never a snow issue that I worried about.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow! That is a lot of stuff! Are you sure you are not preparing for the world to end in December? LOL I keep extra warm clothes, a tow strap.... Bout it. Last winter we got very little snow. Previous years I was rolling in a Jeep XJ, never a snow issue that I worried about.

Be prepared for anything.

I'm planning on installing a winch and driving to the NorthWest Territories in Canada, from Spokane, WA.

Then, I'm just gonna mess around in the nearby mountains at home.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For winter I switch over to winter tires with nitrogen. Inside the car I carry:

-Blanket
-water bottles
-Search and Rescue bag. (Has 3 days of living essentials in it and a first aid kit used for the GSAR group I volunteer with.)
-ice scraper.snow brush
-tow strap
-spare toque and mittens

We get a lot of snow in New Brunswick. This is my first Subaru, I have always driven Toyotas and Hyundais but wanted a capable car like ride so I am looking forward to my first winter with the Subaru.

·
Registered
335 Posts
can you still lift up the floor for the spare with that tank there?

well in my case all my emergency gear is kept down there cause i ditched the donut for a full size once i got bigger tires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
kirtydandra
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing