Super Moderator
25,274 Posts
moved thread

link not working

edit: tried 3 times to link that,

story is titled
2019 Subaru Ascent three-row SUV headed for LA Auto Show

that opens on Nov 28, 2017.

and its on Cnet's road show section as of Nov 16th, 2017. has pics and a video of the April 2017 NY auto show silver one? ( teaser pic of a dark one)

quoted text:

Subaru has been without a three-row crossover since it killed off the rather ugly Tribeca. But that's about to change, and best of all, it's finally going to be attractive.

Subaru announced on Twitter that it will unveil the production version of the 2019 Ascent three-row SUV on November 28, as part of the Los Angeles Auto Show. If you don't happen to be at the show with an accredited media badge, Subaru will livestream the event.

Everything we know about the Ascent comes from a concept of the same name, which Subaru showed off earlier this year at the New York Auto Show. It has seating for seven and many of the design staples featured on the Forester and Outback. It will ride on a modified version of Subaru's global vehicle platform, and under the hood will be a 2.4-liter turbocharged flat-four engine.

The Ascent concept was derived from the beefy Viziv-7 concept that first heralded the arrival of a three-row Subaru ute. The Viziv-7 debuted at last year's LA show, boasting sharp edges, crazy lighting and a healthy dose of blue trim. Surprisingly, it didn't change much between this concept and the Ascent. So hopefully the changes between concept and production won't be too drastic, either.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
4,357 Posts
I think someone at Subaru uploaded official Ascent information into our dealership kiosk system because for about 20 minutes today the full spread of information was available with full video walkarounds. Then all of a sudden it was cut off and the system rebooted and upon coming back online the Ascent content was gone.

I'll break it to you folks, the Ascent looks like a much larger version of the Outback. I had seen some renderings of it recently online in Wilderness Green with 2018 Outback Limited wheels and I can confirm that those were as accurate as anything I have seen elsewhere. I cannot find those pictures now. In less than 6 hours the world will be able to know everything!

·
Registered
921 Posts
I had seen some renderings of it recently online in Wilderness Green with 2018 Outback Limited wheels and I can confirm that those were as accurate as anything I have seen elsewhere. I cannot find those pictures now. In less than 6 hours the world will be able to know everything!
Was it this image?

I thought this one was quite good too.

I've been watching the spy shots, etc and could see the final product looking much more car-like than the concept led us to believe. From what I could tell, it does look like a stretched Outback. That's both good and bad IMHO. I'm car shopping right now (I'm in constant research mode) and the more I think of it, the more I cannot just get another Outback. The refreshed '18s look great, but we're only a couple years away from the OB being on the new platform. If it's anything like the step up the Impreza took, then that is exciting. The OB in general is a great fit but I need some variety. I was hoping the Ascent would be more SUV-like and less car-like. We'll see when the real deal is released.

This spy shot seems very telling. Like you said, we'll see in a few hours.

·
Super Moderator
25,274 Posts
I think someone at Subaru uploaded official Ascent information into our dealership kiosk system because for about 20 minutes today the full spread of information was available with full video walkarounds.
tongue weight?

...will subaru make it more then all other subarus with 200lb max?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reveal in just over an hour. The sneak peek picts surfacing looks like they smoothed the hard edges some on the edgy look they shared over a yr ago. Yes very OB looking yet bigger. I hope they back it up with some handling ability and power. God knows we have enough big clumsy handling SUVs already.

·
Super Moderator
25,274 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Apparently someone at livestream effed up and was streaming the rehearsal and videos around 5:30 CST whenl I checked the livestream page. Was shocked to see it cuz I knew the reveal wasn't scheduled until 8:30. Started screen shots LMAO.....here it is!

Attachments

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rough specs are interesting. 5000lb tow rating Full 8 pass with 2nd row bench or 7 with 2nd row chairs. 260hp 270ft lbs at 2000rpm. Better rpm vs power numbers than my 4.7L V8 Toyota.

Will be interesting to see more specific size details, hip room/width etc.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Front camera, vented seats, windshield HUD! Didn't think I'd see that stuff in a Subaru so soon. Pretty nice. To bad the touring still only has Java Brown.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really like the stuff they did with the tech. Finally!!!!!! Rear view camera viewed in the rear view mirror!!!!!!!! Looking at a dash screen is soo frigin dumb my wifes car drives me nutz with the dash display

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
The only surprise to me is that the rear doors are hinged. These guys are on track to repeat the birth of the Honda Odyssey here.

Big congrats to Subaru on their biggest car yet!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They need to pre wire it for trailer brake controller. LOL

No mention if the Touring would have a 2nd row bench option. I like having the option to seat 3 in the 2nd row with more gear stowage in the back. I do that often with my two kids and a grand parent on road trips. In my 05 Sequoia. Rough number guesses show the Acsent being a similar size as the first gen Sequoia, which is a nice size. Roomy but not a massive exterior size

·
Registered
17,029 Posts
is it straight DI or the 'combo style' in the BRZ?

The Ascent is the first to get Subaru’s new 2.4-liter direct-injection turbocharged flat-four engine, which will show up in other future models. The horizontally opposed Subaru Boxer engine generates 260 horsepower and 277 lb-ft of torque. Subaru’s R&D test drivers recorded a 0–60-mph time of 7.3 seconds, beating their times for the CX-9 and the Explorer four-cylinder turbos.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
is it straight DI or the 'combo style' in the BRZ?
Based on all the current di engines the combo seems to be the only way to fix the carbon issue that occures when its strait DI. They use the fuel injectors and fuel spray timing to manage the carbon challenge. Early DI engines suffered given they lacked that extra logic in the fuel systems.

·
Premium Member
2,770 Posts
Generally, looks like a typical non-WRX/FXT Subaru to me: extremely useful, but not exciting, except in rain or snow. It does seem, however, that tech and materials will be of higher grade than what Subaru used to offer. My biggest concern is with the longevity of the small twin turbo/CVT combo.

I hope it succeeds, but it does nothing for me while I am in the SW :) Now, the JLU Wrangler...

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Comparing the few size numbers. Its slightly larger than the competitors. But smaller than my 05 Sequoia. But given modern design the seating arrangement could be fairly roomy.

Im intrigued. A Touring with a 2nd row bench seat would be interesting. Though every **** touring anything has moved to bucket 2nd row seats now. Some of us still like to sit 3 in the 2nd row, with camping gear in the back. And the touring tech package is interesting. It will be interesting to see how they set up the options in each trim.

·
Premium Member
2,770 Posts
Looks like they hit many key benchmarks, including a completely sufficient 7.3 acceleration, 5,000lb towing, big cargo area behind second row, standard eyesight, and so on and so forth.

Will it run on regular?

1 - 20 of 97 Posts